• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Bullitt build

Impressed by your skills! Did you sandblast the car at any point, or did you clean it all by hand?

Impressed by your skills! Did you sandblast the car at any point, or did you clean it all by hand?

I had the doors, fenders, trunk, and hood soda blasted but not the body. I have sanded and cleaned it by hand. I find sanding and cleaning small section (18" x 18") at a time keep it from getting overwhelming.
Thank You!

Pat

The RMS suspension requires a few holes drill throughthe frame and they tell you not to over tighten these bolts so you don’t collapsethe frame. So I welded in 2 reinforcements to help prevent that from happening.The 1/8” plate is welded on both sides.
Thanks
Pat

IMG_8968_zps1pap2nae.jpg

IMG_8962_zpsjykgxrmb.jpg

IMG_8972_zpsj5egskay.jpg

IMG_8974_zpsmvziq9wl.jpg

Nice execution and nicely done!

Approved! (As if I have a right to say that!!! :grin:)

I'm watching this thread with interest, envy, and astonishment. I'm just starting the deconstruction of my '64 Polara and although its not going to receive the amount of mods this one is, I'm just hoping it comes out half way as nice. Wonderful work... and don't think I'm not jealous either. :icon_salut:

I'm watching this thread with interest, envy, and astonishment. I'm just starting the deconstruction of my '64 Polara and although its not going to receive the amount of mods this one is, I'm just hoping it comes out half way as nice. Wonderful work... and don't think I'm not jealous either. :icon_salut:

Thanks for following along, I'm sure your Polara will come out awesome, I look forward to seeing your build thread on it.
Thank you!
Pat

I started filling all of the unused holes in the engine welland have the left inner fender and core support finished, so far over 50 holes.
Thanks
Pat

IMG_8979_zpsm5myksag.jpg

IMG_8987_zps8s4vybnd.jpg

IMG_8993_zpsvral08ay.jpg

IMG_8997_zpslwrb2yxn.jpg

Nice! I was just searching for tutorials to fill holes, since I have a lot of them, found this.
Is that a good way or do you have any better tricks? How big of a hole before you have to make a plug?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug6qnJhIngs&ab_channel=Weld.com

I used a mig welder for the holes I filled and I find working with 20g steel that holes smaller than 1/4"you can back with a piece of copper and weld over, anything larger than that I'll make a metal plug. With the larger holes hold the mig at 45 to 60 degree.
Thanks
Pat

I’ve had a few people ask how I remove the paint, clean themetal and finish off the welds, so I thought I do little right up and somepictures on what has worked for me.

IMG_9043_zpsyriazkfx.jpg

IMG_9046_zps7rtpwbrv.jpg

IMG_9047_zpskgxv9924.jpg

IMG_9048_zpszzusidxl.jpg

In the engine bay I have found a heat gun and wirewheel on a drill works great removing the paint and original primer from all thenooks and crannies. I like using a 12” quick change extension to hold the wirewheels. The advantage of the drill over a grinder is you can change thedirection of the drill which allows the wirewheel to work more aggressivelyremove the paint and primer. With theheat gun I blister about 6”x6” of paint and while it is still hot I use thewirewheel to remove that section ofpaint, it goes quick and no fine dust.

IMG_9007_zpssirp49he.jpg

IMG_9010_zpswhftzazn.jpg

Here is a before and after of the firewall using only theheat gun and wirewheel.

IMG_9012_zpsnts3fxis.jpg

IMG_9014_zpsgijedtms.jpg

IMG_9016_zpsmmyw4irz.jpg

IMG_9023_zpszrqpkpcm.jpg

Here I’m welding over the wire harness plug hole. After tackwelding the cover in place I grind down most of the welds before finishing thewelding, this helps keep the heat down and make it easier to connect the weldas thickness of the metal is similar to the welds.

IMG_9027_zpscorizrga.jpg

IMG_9025_zpshijh49uj.jpg

IMG_9030_zpsstx0i2e4.jpg

I like to use a 90 degree Die grinder with 2” 36 grit discto take the welds down. Keep it moving and always use new disc when workingsmall areas as worn disc will just heat the metal instead of cutting the welddown. When the welds are mostly cut downyou can hammer and dolly the panel flat and then finish off the leftover weldwith a 60 grit disc.

IMG_9041_zpsmnagzuo0.jpg

Note before hammer and dolly the panel you will need togrind down the weld on the back side!

IMG_9042_zps1iddrkfa.jpg

IMG_9040_zps2eqncx78.jpg

The last thing I do is use a 6” random orbital sander with a¾” foam pad and 100 grit paper to clean the metal.
Thanks
Pat

I enjoy checking up on this build. Pat you are doing a great job (as always). I like the pointers that you give, they are helpful.

The paint is removed and all the unused holes are welded upin the engine bay and ready for epoxy primer.
Thanks
Pat

IMG_9125_zpsq0cyvre4.jpg

IMG_9132_zpslvqipiw3.jpg

IMG_9134_zpsgjopjtid.jpg

IMG_9127_zpsvfzmgd9k.jpg

IMG_9124_zpsva3btmlb.jpg

I had a mold made of the front bumper guard mount so Icould make a carbon-fiber version of it. The steel mount weighs about 6 lbs andthe carbon-fiber replacement will weigh about 1 lbs. After I pull the 1[SUP]st[/SUP]part I’ll post a few pictures and if anyone is interested I could make a fewmore? I think I will paint mine black to look original but they could be leftclear to show the carbon-fiber if you like?
Thanks
Pat

image_zpsboog2sew.jpg

image_zpsszd2lnq2.jpg

Cool! I’m only going to make a few to cover the costto make the mold and materials. I will know the price after the 1[SUP]st[/SUP]part is pulled.
Thanks
Pat

Auto Transport Service
Back