• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Bullitt build

Incredible fabrication work as usual! What are you using to clean up the floor pans prior to priming them?

I use a heat gun and a putty knife to remove the factory under coat and wipe off the leftover under coat with lacquer thinner. Then I use a 6" & 3" DA sand with 100g paper to remove the factory paint.

Thank you!

Pat

The drive shaft loop/crossmember is made and tack welded in place. Back to thetorque boxes.
Thanks
Pat

IMG_8671_zpso6wbssvv.jpg

IMG_8684_zpsuncycziy.jpg

IMG_8693_zpsvba9dh0g.jpg

IMG_8705_zpsntrkdjfk.jpg

IMG_8702_zpsz52knkmo.jpg

My god, all the work on this car is absolutely top notch. A true craftsman indeed.

I am not worthy... :icon_pray:

People wonder why some hot rods cost hundreds of thousands of dollars ... that hoop is probably worth $600. in labor !!

- - - Updated - - -

What are you spraying on there that won't burn off when you weld near it ???

My god, all the work on this car is absolutely top notch. A true craftsman indeed.

I am not worthy... :icon_pray:

Thank you, but I'm just a shop nut that likes working on old cars!
Pat

- - - Updated - - -

People wonder why some hot rods cost hundreds of thousands of dollars ... that hoop is probably worth $600. in labor !!

- - - Updated - - -

What are you spraying on there that won't burn off when you weld near it ???

The time can add up quickly, Good thing I'm not paying someone to build this car I couldn't afford the labor ;-)

The paint is just black primer set back 1/8". I will follow it up with some internal frame coating after the welding.

Thank you!
Pat

Great work, I wish I could weld like that! What do you use, TIG?

Great work, I wish I could weld like that! What do you use, TIG?

Some TIG welding here and there but the loop/crossmember is all MIG welded. The key to welding is good penetration and contact. You can make any good but ugly weld look nice with a 60 grit grinder ;-)
Thanks

Pat

Finished up a few details on the front of the frameconnectors today. Front torque boxes are next.
Thanks
Pat

IMG_8736_zpswkqicnkc.jpg

IMG_8737_zpsscdog0nh.jpg

IMG_8747_zpsskmvnyvy.jpg

IMG_8709_zpsyskmcwwl.jpg

IMG_8717_zpsvbhpyx5v.jpg

IMG_8724_zpssqslrbli.jpg

Fit and tack welded the right front torque box. Had tobend the US Car Tool torque box on an angle and added ¼” along the floor sideto get a good fit. Both sides will need the same alteration to fit correctly.

Thanks
Pat

IMG_8755_zpsga2qlvxs.jpg

IMG_8761_zpstw4snrnz.jpg

IMG_8765_zpsmkwf1e0b.jpg

IMG_8763_zpsowwshumq.jpg

IMG_8774_zpscqo53lwn.jpg

IMG_8784_zps5ruobxox.jpg

IMG_8785_zpsdreoibc6.jpg

IMG_8790_zpsj9sxyntf.jpg

Nice! Some of the inside paint will burn after welding, are you planing on painting again inside the boxes? I painted my subframe connectors inside before mounting them, then I sprayed with a 360 nozzle on a hose thru the holes after welding, cant see the results but I hope I covered the welds. Do you use a weld thru primer?

Nice! Some of the inside paint will burn after welding, are you planing on painting again inside the boxes? I painted my subframe connectors inside before mounting them, then I sprayed with a 360 nozzle on a hose thru the holes after welding, cant see the results but I hope I covered the welds. Do you use a weld thru primer?

It's to be expected that you'll burn some paint I tried to tape back 3/8 to 1/2" anticipating some burning. Before the final paint on the bottom is applied we will coat the inside of all of the frames.
Thanks
Pat

Everytime I look into your thread I'm amazed by your quality of work! Keep it up!

Installed the parking brake cable pass-through tube inthe frame connector. I also remove the original floor mount for the parkingcable as I’m going to install a small roller to redirect the cable along theframe.
Thanks
Pat

I had a small section of the driver’s side floor with pinholes that needed to be replaced. I cutabout 18” from a new left side floor pan and grafted it along the cross memberso it would be hard to tell if it was repaired. Some high-build primer shouldmake any imperfections disappear.

IMG_8848_zpsuj9lr7ih.jpg

IMG_8872_zps1iawbyvk.jpg

IMG_8859_zpsrpytyst3.jpg

IMG_8908_zpsvqh41mtl.jpg

IMG_8888_zps2r1lk0ll.jpg

IMG_8894_zpshiywrvdu.jpg

IMG_8920_zps6e2vbisv.jpg

IMG_8940_zpszrccuqgt.jpg

IMG_8932_zpslv8tob45.jpg

Love the rollers for the cable and the super tight fit on your floor...nice work! I did the exact same thing with the tubing to get threw the subframe connector haha. Love this thread

Great work! I'm in the process of cleaning the undercoating off mine now. Found a few old repairs that I have to fix, works, but not good looking repairs. Do you think it is of any benefit to weld up some of the seams that now are spotwelded?

Great work! I'm in the process of cleaning the undercoating off mine now. Found a few old repairs that I have to fix, works, but not good looking repairs. Do you think it is of any benefit to weld up some of the seams that now are spotwelded?

I don't see a downside in adding more welds especially if you're not sure of the quality of the previous repair
thank you
Pat

I don't see a downside in adding more welds especially if you're not sure of the quality of the previous repair
thank you
Pat

The bad repairs on mine has to be completely redone, I was thinking more of the factory welds, tranny cross member is spotwelded, the front UCA brackets seems to have very few welds, and there is many other places. Was just wondering if its worth putting in the work.

Fitted and welded the last torque box (left front) nextup is welding the unused holes in the firewall.
Thanks
Pat

IMG_8946_zps6gssdcov.jpg

IMG_8952_zpsvipdjfv6.jpg

IMG_8955_zpsxdxaxl4k.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back