• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Bullitt build

I'm in love with this build. I've read through this project at least a dozen times. I've just started on my 65 Coronet and have all the RMS parts sitting in the corner. Hopefully I'll be handy enough to come close to your quality of craftsmanship. :thumbsup:

Couple questions about the steering wheel ... 1) what did you make the mold out of and what did you coat the inside with? 2) Is the epoxy thick like a putty or thin - I would have thought the wheel would just sink into it till it bottomed out in the mold. 3) Why do you use both "high density" and "low density" additives ???

Thanks.

Last edited:
Couple questions about the steering wheel ... 1) what did you make the mold out of and what did you coat the inside with? 2) Is the epoxy thick like a putty or thin - I would have thought the wheel would just sink into it till it bottomed out in the mold. 3) Why do you use both "high density" and "low density" additives ???

Thanks.

1. I used a 1" thick foam board to make the mold and coated it with resin to make a smooth surface. This foam board is designed to be used with fiberglass but I'm sure you could use the same insulating foam board you find at Home Depot.

2. Using the 407 and the 404 fillers mixed with the west system resin I would look for the same consistency as cake batter when working with the molds. And I would add more to get the consistency of peanut butter when I was doing the build up filling when out of the mold. Are used a few small pieces of plastic to help hold the steering wheel at the correct depth in the mold.

3. The 407 low-density filler adds thickness and color, it is very easy to sand. And the 404 high density is a adhesive filler that helps bonding with the metal rim.

I hope that helps?
Thanks
Pat

Reassemble my home made paint booth over the weekend. I used boat shrink wrap for the walls and ceilings.

image_zpstmelafww.jpg

These two walls can roll up to get the car in and out.

image_zpspnrgz5yy.jpg

Four 20x20x4 intake filters.

image_zpsymayza3q.jpg

image_zpsg0nbw7ds.jpg

Window box holds two 20x20 fans and track for quick change 20x25x1 discharge filters.

image_zpstortoryt.jpg

image_zpsjlfamkgf.jpg

A little clean up and the paint booth will be ready. This will be the 3rd car to be painted in this home made booth.
Thanks
Pat

I built a booth awhile back (15X25 all metal with an exhaust fan and furnace filters for airflow), the thought was make it all easily washable for a clean paint area..... I'm about to go back to your way of painting after my luck with my booth! Doesn't seam like it matters what I do I get dirt and believe the static in the plastic may be more beneficial than I had thought.
Building a new garage right now and am looking for new ideas for a new booth. I may just build a curtain rail for plastic and forget it?

Can't wait to see the paint!

If possible you want slight positive pressure in the booth so dust is not drawn in unfiltered

One thing that I've been told is to be careful with plastic on top , it will collect water and paint and can drip on your car - been told that cloth ( bed sheet ) would be better above the car so it can hold the drips and paint and not drip . . .

Not sure first hand but wanted to pass this on to you . . .

No problem with moisture in the paint booth on the ceiling, and the room is under a very slight vacuum, pulling air in from the four large filters close to the door. I'm sure there are other and possibly better ways to build a homemade paint booth but I had great success with this booth so I will stick with this set up. Here's a pictures of the last two cars from this paint booth.
Thanks
Pat

image_zpsshunrtzk.png

image_zpslnehcudu.png

You are building the car I always dreamed of building, with an even higher level of detail than I could have imagined. Excellent work!

Scored a nice 68 console Inland shifter on craigslist. My plan is to cut the base off and modify the shifter for my T 56 six speed using the T handle to engage a micro switch to operate the electronic reverse shut out on the T56
Thanks
Pat

image_zpshxxawaic.jpg

Nice:thumbsup:. Nothing better than crawling under a car that looks just as nice underneath as it does on top. This whole build has been full of nothing but top notch work, looking forward to seeing it finished.

Landing gear is on and she will be on the ground soon. Then I'll hang the doors, fender, hood and trunk to set & correct the gaps.
Thanks
Pat

image_zps08wvdo02.jpg

image_zps3f756ppq.jpg

Looking beautiful, Pat! Your getting close to the assembly phase...Nice!

This is an amazing build Pat! I first saw it on Pro-Touring.com and fell in love with your craftsmanship. I am just starting my build on a 68 and I have learned a lot from your build. Thanks for posting this and keep up the amazing work!

This is an amazing build Pat! I first saw it on Pro-Touring.com and fell in love with your craftsmanship. I am just starting my build on a 68 and I have learned a lot from your build. Thanks for posting this and keep up the amazing work!

Good luck with your build and l look forward to seeing your progresses.
Thank you
Pat

Auto Transport Service
Back