• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Bullitt build

Off the rotisserie and on four wheels ;-)
Thanks
Pat

image_zpse2cec0gp.jpg

image_zpszvf6ykaj.jpg

WOW! I just found this thread and realized my own projects are just kidstuff. What a car you will have, worth dying for!

The subject of small dings and dents was brought up, so I thought I would post a few pictures of how an old body man showed me an easy technique to work them out if you have access to the other side. Using a spring-loaded center punch with a filed down blunt end.

Start with locating and marking the dent from the backside. Then unscrew the spring-loaded center punch a few turns as to lessen the blow for the first try. It may take two or three strikes to get the panel flush, along with changing the tension on the spring loaded center punch. You may need to move the impact point a 16th of an inch in either direction to work the dent out.

Thanks
Pat

image_zpsy4znmbsy.jpg

image_zps67q2fpiw.jpg

image_zpsu91oyngq.jpg

image_zpsavgulnpv.jpg

image_zpspavbddq5.jpg

image_zpsly4chjs6.jpg

The subject of small dings and dents was brought up, so I thought I would post a few pictures of how an old body man showed me an easy technique to work them out if you have access to the other side. Using a spring-loaded center punch with a filed down blunt end.

Start with locating and marking the dent from the backside. Then unscrew the spring-loaded center punch a few turns as to lessen the blow for the first try. It may take two or three strikes to get the panel flush, along with changing the tension on the spring loaded center punch. You may need to move the impact point a 16th of an inch in either direction to work the dent out.

Thanks
Pat

Very cool trick, makes sense and cures the problem of limited space for hammers and dollies. Thanks.

Progress is looking great as always.

With the right side fender hung she is starting to look like a charger again :)
Thanks
Pat

image_zpshberciyo.jpg

you guys a LEGIT. The whole damn forum is full of just straight up Craftsman. There is so much quality here. Great work. Thats coming from a 15 year painter. Great work. Great.

A question thou. It's there something you guys use to keep the bare metal from flash rusting while you are working with it in bare metal. Here in Louisiana that would rust in, oh it don't know, 82 seconds.

As long as the work area is dry (low hunidity) flash rust will be minimal. I seldom open my shop except to go in or out and I keep a dehumidifier running from May to October.

A question thou. It's there something you guys use to keep the bare metal from flash rusting while you are working with it in bare metal. Here in Louisiana that would rust in, oh it don't know, 82 seconds.

Here in Maryland we only deal with high humidity like you have in Louisiana for about two months in the summertime. During the summer months I have a small air conditioning unit which I run and hold the temperature in the shop at about 79°. That keeps the humidity down and makes it reasonably comfortable to work. During the fall and winter months I keep the shop heated and maintain 60° throughout the winter. Also just like Stanton suggested keep the shop closed at all times to help control the humidity.

Thank you
Pat

Here in Maryland we only deal with high humidity like you have in Louisiana for about two months in the summertime. During the summer months I have a small air conditioning unit which I run and hold the temperature in the shop at about 79°. That keeps the humidity down and makes it reasonably comfortable to work. During the fall and winter months I keep the shop heated and maintain 60° throughout the winter. Also just like Stanton suggested keep the shop closed at all times to help control the humidity.

Thank you
Pat
Hi Pat I have read this post from start to finish so far and can't wait to see it completed .
I have a 68 charger rt as well , my favourite car .
I have to ask how have you learned all of those skills your work amazes me with every post
You put up .
From suspension ,body the wheel anything -amazing skill set .
You should be teaching those skills to anyone who would listen .
I know I'd come to learn .

Thanks for sharing .

Pete

Pete,
Your timing is perfect! I'm about to start a six week block sanding program (Charger block sanding 101) and looking for students that want to learn sanding skills. This is a free course and sand paper + beer are included ;-)

Thanks
Pat

Pat, I can help teach Road Runner block sanding 201, as I have just completed first block and high fill primer with 80 grit. Starting tomorrow with second block with 150. Just finished 10 hours filling/blocking yesterday on the hood. I know why no one wants to do body work any more. using a 30" block on about everything, and finding there are about no straight lines on the car. I think I have 90 hours in blocking whole car so far (not counting major metal work and filler). The hood, deck lid, fenders, doors are not on the car yet. there is no way I could have done the 40 and 80 grit with parts on the car. I think my arms are stronger than they have been in years.
My wheels and tires should be here in three weeks and I want to have the car "Roll-able" and ready to go to the spray booth (even though I probably wont be ready). I did do the CV3C Forgelines.
Keep up the good work.
Pat T. in Tennessee

Pat, I can help teach Road Runner block sanding 201, as I have just completed first block and high fill primer with 80 grit. Starting tomorrow with second block with 150. Just finished 10 hours filling/blocking yesterday on the hood. I know why no one wants to do body work any more. using a 30" block on about everything, and finding there are about no straight lines on the car. I think I have 90 hours in blocking whole car so far (not counting major metal work and filler). The hood, deck lid, fenders, doors are not on the car yet. there is no way I could have done the 40 and 80 grit with parts on the car. I think my arms are stronger than they have been in years.
My wheels and tires should be here in three weeks and I want to have the car "Roll-able" and ready to go to the spray booth (even though I probably wont be ready). I did do the CV3C Forgelines.
Keep up the good work.
Pat T. in Tennessee

Pat thank you so much for the offer , looked up your area I think your inMaryland ?
I'm in Ontario , Canada I wish I was closer - for the teaching I'd bring the beer .

Your charger is looking smooth as hell, great job. I know I'm hooked watching this come together.

Auto Transport Service
Back