• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modernizeing my old school 440 build. long read

67440chrg

Local time
4:08 AM
Reaction score
I have a 11:1cr, .030 over stock stroke 440. It has mild ported 516 heads with stainless valves and double springs with Harland sharp roller rockers. A torker II intake and 750 double pumper the cam makes good power but specs are unknown. I have MSD dist with 6a box. Its a old build with not many miles. I have a couple bad lifters and need to do a cam & lifter change. With needing to remove my inner springs to do a break in I have decided modernize. I am going to buy a Edelbrock top end power package.
RPM duel plane intake
RPM Performer 84cc heads
Timing chain set
head & intake bolts
Gaskets for all installations
a Edelbrock cam
My question is does any know how well this cam works it is #350-7194
.480/.495 lift
300/308 duration
1500-6500 rpm range
This kit is advertised to make 482 hp/528 tq with 9.5:1 comp.. I hope to get close to 500 hp with more comp. My original choices of cam before going to a top end kit was a MP 509 or a Lunati 494/513. If Edelbrock makes a good cam I will Just use theirs. Also if any one knows a code or another way to save at summit or jegs I would really appreciate it.

480 hp is considered a mild build for a 440. If that's your goal then great. Otherwise, if you want more power like 550+ you should bump up your cam for more lift and get those heads cnc'd too. It's real easy to get huge hp & torque from a 440 and for a little more change you can really make your engine scream!

Yes my budget has more to do with what I do now. I want it to have good street manners but run strong. I was going to go with a larger cam but figured this way I can do the entire top end this cam comes with the kit. I have not heard of many using Edelbrock cams did not know if they were trust worthy. I guess I should have said It is in a 3800 lb car with a reverse pattern man shift 727 with a shift kit and 2800 stall with a 355 sure grip.

That cam spec isn't good at all!That much duration should have alot more lift! The MP camshaft with lift in that range has much less torque robbing duration (284 dur 484 lift). Mopar lifters have a larger dia than the other manufactures which allows our camshafts to carry a higher lift with less duration and higher spring pressures. I think some of the camshaft package deals are based on chevy designs not ours....
I use a MP solid camshaft 590 lift and 1.6 ratio rockers (630 lift) in my standard stroke 440. It's a little on the wild side, but doesn't hamper my driving experience a bit!

11:1 is too high for street. Nice pop and fragrance with race gas, but not practical.

Ok that sounds about right I knew I had heard some say their cams were not so good. I have a friend with a 590 his is a little less street friendly as I want. I guess I will see if I can get them to change cams in the kit. Lunati may be the way I go. I believe it is close to a 509 now and pulls hard with the old school closed chamber heads it has now. I have to put octane boost or mix my gas 1/2 108 & 1/2 93 and it works good. I think if I get rid of the 509s and go to 84cc Edelbrocks it will be better. My current heads have ben milled down and my intake has been machined to match and is still hard to get the bolts started when installing.

Auto Transport Service
Back