• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Molasses as a rust remover is awesome

Sam69sat

Local time
4:55 PM
Reaction score
Finally got around to trying molasses + water as a rust remover. All i can say is wow,, it works great and it's cheap! $3.75 per gallon at the bulk animal feed store. My mix was 9 parts water to 1 part molasses. Put the rusty parts in a 5 gallon bucket and it's been 4 days but virtually all the rust is gone. Kept it inside the house cause i heard it works better at 70+ degrees. That would have taken a lot of expensive evaporust to do the same thing and when your done with it there's no special disposal needed.

Last edited:
It works great for a rusted up stuck engine, soak the whole short block in a barrel. Just know the pistons and any aluminum will get eaten up.

It works great for a rusted up stuck engine, soak the whole short block in a barrel. Just know the pistons and any aluminum will

It works great for a rusted up stuck engine, soak the whole short block in a barrel. Just know the pistons and any aluminum will get eaten up.
Gibbs Lubricant Oil will free up a stuck motor.

Sounds cool, but.....:xscuseless:
I had a thread on this a long time ago if you want pictures. :)

Finally got around to trying molasses + water as a rust remover. All i can say is wow,, it works great and it's cheap! $3.75 per gallon at the animal feed store. My mix was 9 parts water to 1 part molasses. Put the rusty parts in a 5 gallon bucket and it's been 4 days but virtually all the rust is gone. Kept it inside the house cause i heard it works better at 70+ degrees. That would have taken a lot of expensive evaporust to do the same thing and when your done with it there's no speical disposal needed.
I agree! I didn’t want to spend the $$$ for sand blasting, so I had used Molasses and water on my two bucket seats and back seat. I built a wood frame box and lined it with thick plastic. Then, I power washed them, powder coated the bucket seats and por15 the rear seat. Of course then my project ran from then on as slow as molasses!
B59B3D6C-DF77-4542-A651-228ABF754F63.jpeg
EF7AAEC2-F06D-4582-B0E1-00B1889C2229.jpeg
D56B9212-8AF1-458B-A6A6-1FAD2767B122.jpeg

Gibbs Lubricant Oil will free up a stuck motor.
I’m talking about an engine that has been wet insode, with pitted bores and corroded pistons. The kind that people pound out with a BFH. Those don’t free up with oil or lube, the bores have high spots from the pitting.

don’t be like this man,
Hole in cylinder wall.

I’m talking about an engine that has been wet insode, with pitted bores and corroded pistons. The kind that people pound out with a BFH. Those don’t free up with oil or lube, the bores have high spots from the pitting.

don’t be like this man,
Hole in cylinder wall.
Ahhh ok. Just to let you know. There was a motor that was pulled from a lake, and someone doused the inside with Gibbs Lubricant Oil. It freed everything inside and they were able to start the motor.

Not much oxygen at the bottom of the lake, rust does different things in different enviromnents.

anything is possible from behind the keyboard!

Not much oxygen at the bottom of the lake, rust does different things in different enviromnents.

anything is possible from behind the keyboard!
Oh ok. Well you might want to look up Gibbs Lubricant Oil, and then you might understand what it does.

I believe it will do good things in the right situation.

Maybe you should look at some more rusted up engines and see that it is physically impossible for a penetrant liquid to save all of them.

So back to the main topic here, the molasses soak does amazing things to clean up rusted metal.

I have been using the molasses concoction for years. As others have said, it won't touch grease but works wonders on rusty iron and tin. I have a couple containers I use constantly. One is a 6 gallon bucket and the other is a 20 gallon tote. I like to keep them covered since the odor can get pretty intense. I use a 7-1 ratio to start and add some water from time to time when it gets low. I usually let things soak for at least a couple weeks then rinse them with water and hit it with a wire brush. If still crusty, I toss em back in the bath. Seems like I always find a coat of mold on top than I skim off first. I replace the mixture once a year or so. Here are some pics of items I did recently. Someone was asking about doing a bulkhead connector. I included a couple pics of one I did. The unattainable drums, I sprayed with Eastwoods Cast Blast and the Tin parts with Eastwoods Bare metal paint. The blue stuff in the one bucket is the mold that forms on top.

100_0854.JPG

100_0853.JPG

100_0850.JPG

100_0849.JPG

100_0852.JPG

100_0857.JPG

100_0858.JPG

100_0855.JPG

100_0856.JPG

100_0859.JPG

Yep, i should have taken some photos. Decided to leave them in for another week or so just to make sure i get all the rust. Maybe i'll take a few when wash them off. Was figuring it would take a couple weeks to work so i was surprised that the rust was gone after 4 days. Still amazes me that for less than $2 dollars, the molasses did what would have taken at least $125 dollars of evaporust or similar store bought rust removers.

How did I never hear of this before? Thanks for sharing guys! Wow, those drums are sicko clean!

Here are a few pics before and after 1 week in the molasses. Hit them with a little soapy water and stainless steel scrub brush then dried them off quickly with a towel and hair dryer. Pretty good results.

IMG_20230304_120120.jpg

IMG_20230304_120136.jpg

IMG_20230310_130616.jpg

IMG_20230310_130756.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good to me......When I get them cleaned up good, I paint the bare metal stuff with Eastwoods bare metal gray and the pedals with a semi gloss Chassis black. Never have to deal with em again.

Forgot to mention, i bought the molasses at the bulk animal feed supply and brought my own container. The same outfit i bought it from also had gallon jugs of molasses in their retail shop and those were not cheap. Something like $15 a gallon! Look into a place that sells bulk animal feed.

Finally got around to trying molasses + water as a rust remover. All i can say is wow,, it works great and it's cheap! $3.75 per gallon at the bulk animal feed store. My mix was 9 parts water to 1 part molasses. Put the rusty parts in a 5 gallon bucket and it's been 4 days but virtually all the rust is gone. Kept it inside the house cause i heard it works better at 70+ degrees. That would have taken a lot of expensive evaporust to do the same thing and when your done with it there's no special disposal needed.
Ever try vinegar and water? It's been working well for me.

Auto Transport Service
Back