• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Molasses as a rust remover is awesome

<<<<<<<< heading to Tractor Supply
Went to my local TS yesterday only to find they don't stock it around here. Not really surprised. The closer you get to San Francisco, the harder it is to find anything useful. I went on their website and could only find Black Ops Molasses liquid that they sell as an deer bait. I couldn't find a list of ingredients for that, but they talk about it being proprietary, which makes me think it isn't straight molasses. Might hit up the local feed store today. Can you post what you find when you get to TS?

Don't even know if there is bear hunting in CA. In WI, molasses is very popular for baiting bears. Pour it over bakery goods and the scent draws them in. Pretty easy to get ahold of around here.

It's a good process BUT... it's
Nd9GcR5DoReFcMJAOt9CEhWUw24qk6HoiRZWGQYtw&usqp=CAU.jpg

I ordered mine from amazon........ what you posted appears to not be 100% molasses

• The Evolved Habitats attractant comes in a one gal. jug
  • Pure premium molasses aroma is sweet and keeps game coming back
  • Year round attraction power makes this game attractant incredibly strong and effective
  • The ready to use liquid formula of this attractant pours easy for convenient use
  • The molasses-flavored attractant is ideal for deer, bear, and hogs
it appears you may get what you pay for

the other one is plant food

• Product Type: Plant Food
  • Brand Name: Medina
  • Concentrated: Yes
  • Container Size: 1 gallon (US)
  • Coverage Area: 4800 square foot
  • Organic: Yes
  • Packaging Type: Bottle
  • Plant Type: Crops, Plants and Tuff
  • Product Form: Liquid
  • Sub Brand: Horticulture Molasses
  • Time Release: Fast/Slow Release
  • Application Frequency: Monthly
  • Season Use: Multi-Season
  • Fertilizer Analysis (N-P-K): 0-0-0

I wouldn't bother with those little gallon sizes, it's cheaper in volume. Isn't there any sort of equine or feed store in your state? Look for a pail like this, which would cost me about $30 (CDN) for 5 gallons.
Molasses-5-Gallon-Pail-scaled.jpg

I've noticed it gets pretty stinky so I have the molasses/water mix in a 5 gallon bucket with the lid on. Have it in the bathroom since it's still freezing here at night. When i pull the parts out after 1-2 weeks i put them in a soapy bucket of water and hit them with a stainless steel brush to get off the remaining residue. Then a good rinse with more soap and hot water and immediately dry them with a hair dryer. It's been working great.

Yep, Molasses as well as White vinegar will do the trick.

Found this ax last weekend when I was out metal Detecting in the woods, it's an old camp ax from the 1800's.

Soaked in vinegar, then White Vinigar and finally molasses. Scrubbed it with a brass wire brush as well as using my Dremel steel wire brush.

Gave it a nice coat of wax and buffed it up. I've got some oak poles in the basement and will make a handle for it.

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1) (1).jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

Does molasses kill the rust and keep it from coming back like vinegar does? Vinegar is a whole lot cheaper and doesn't grow mold like molasses does. What's the advantage of molasses over vinegar?

Does molasses kill the rust and keep it from coming back like vinegar does? Vinegar is a whole lot cheaper and doesn't grow mold like molasses does. What's the advantage of molasses over vinegar?
Molasses is less corrosive to the good metal compared to vinegar. And while vinegar is indeed cheaper, it's also used straight. When the molasses is diluted with water it works out cheaper after filling a 50 gal. barrel. I hadn't known vinegar to prevent something from rusting again, but molasses certainly will not. After it's dry you'd need to add protection.

Well the molasses dip do anything with paint? I see the pedals were rusty and painted in the finished pictures. They're nice metal.

Well the molasses dip do anything with paint? I see the pedals were rusty and painted in the finished pictures. They're nice metal.

Good question. My pedals did have some black paint i'm assuming was original. It did brush off fairly easily when i hit it with a wire brush after the molasses/water soak. I don't know if it's because the molasses or because maybe there was a tiny amount of rust under the black paint and it came loose from the process. Haven't tried anything with a fresh coat of paint to see what it will do.

this better not be some sort of joke....... :poke:

I pieced a custom box together from the scrap lumber pile....... and sealed it up tight to keep the bugs at bay :elmer:

I'll check on it in about 2 weeks

IMG_20230427_180259724.jpg

IMG_20230427_180231936.jpg

IMG_20230427_182038669.jpg

IMG_20230427_184608224.jpg
IMG_20230427_191911418_HDR.jpg

..... and Rebel stole a piece of wood

IMG_20230427_180248068.jpg

Last edited:
This tool box was soaked for 6-8 weeks. I misplaced the scientific logs at the moment. Here is the start.

04FD763C-D169-4129-BB62-0F983A98D924.jpeg

8417FE94-F394-4B58-A144-7C2178F30E3D.jpeg

15A5E627-E50C-4D2F-AD6A-837B434CAA5D.jpeg

42EB9DEC-D2A2-48BF-8400-EA2B69D764D8.jpeg

3593ACCF-22CE-4A20-A9D7-98E070EC32FB.jpeg

678AD0E6-7042-4C8D-AE5F-56B501EA5D96.jpeg

6F873C6D-52FB-43EF-872F-D0BC57D8A2F0.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back