• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monroe's 70 GTX

Looking good! I had a 70 X that color green. Sold it around 1991 or so. Another one I kick myself for selling!

Love the color, an original light green?

FF4 Lime Green Metallic. Original colour of car according to fender tag.

Dash controls 3.jpg Dash controls 1.jpg Dash controls 2.jpg

Great to see your GTX moving along so well. Getting close now!
Thanks Propwash. I'm not the fastest mover around when it comes to working on the car. I'm sure plenty of others would have it going by now. But I'm having fun doing little bits at a time. This is a new experience for me and I'm enjoying it, so why not make it last.
:VB toast:

Thanks Propwash. I'm not the fastest mover around when it comes to working on the car. I'm sure plenty of others would have it going by now. But I'm having fun doing little bits at a time. This is a new experience for me and I'm enjoying it, so why not make it last.
:VB toast:

Sounds like the right way to do a resto if you ask me! Take your time and actually enjoy it. :grin:

Just found your thread and man am I glad I did, great work and that is going to be one truly outstanding GTX! '70 is my favorite year and that color is gorgeous, keep up the excellent work! :eek:ccasion14:

Okay. I pulled the rear axle out and took it apart. Removed the bearings and seals (boy are they hard to get off) waiting on new ones to come in. Hopefully should only be a week or two. Disappointed a bit that it was only an open diff and not a sure grip. Would like to put the LSD in but they're pretty expensive to get over here. Saw some on the net from Dr Diff for around the $350 mark but because of the weight it'll probably cost me a bit to get it over here. Still cheaper than here but I'm trying to hold back on spending the dollars at the moment. The car will only be for cruising so its probably not too big a deal, but nice to have when you go to shows with uneven or soft and slippery ground. Would be interested in your opinions on leaving it this way or converting while its all apart. Having the shoes re-lined and have got new drums to put back on, and also new springs and such for the shoes. While I'm waiting for bearings I'll clean up everything and give it some paint. I intend to clean up the yellow numbers and markings on the axle housing and paint that back up as well. Even though its not a fully original resto, I like having the original markings on things when I can. Cheers for now.

2013-06-23 13.24.jpg 2013-06-23 13.20.jpg 2013-07-07 14.54.jpg 2013-07-07 14.55.jpg

That is the beauty of this rear. With the 8 3/4 rear you can always just pull the center chunk and swap to a S/G one later or pull it and install the S/G. If money is tight I would not worry about it right now. However since it's all apart now is obs the time to do it.

Finally getting things back together

Been a while since I posted so here's a bit of an update.
I decided to go for the LSD while it was all apart (thanks tallhair) so I purchased a powr-lok from Doctordiff. It arrived nice and quick and shipping wasn't too bad. I ordered new bearings and seals and a couple of other things from different suppliers and had them shipped to a warehouse in the States to be combined and forwarded. Hoping to save a few bucks that way on shipping. I've used this process before without any hassles but not this time. It took over a month and a half, after my goods got to the warehouse, before I finally got them. Shipping company said they were having dramas with there US counterparts and nothing was being forwarded. After a few phone calls and emails all came together. What a worry that was, I was concerned about losing all my gear. Anyway in the end it was only time and I got everything I ordered. I put everything back together again and finally got it back under the car. Had a bit of drama tightening the axles but got it sorted with a little help from '67 Coronet on the forums here. My sign writing ain't so good so I decided not to put all the original markings back on. The ones I did looked a bit ordinary so I didn't attempt anymore. I was never very good at painting. Till next time. :VB toast:

Axle 1.jpg Axle 2.jpg Axle 3.jpg Axle 4.jpg Axle 5.jpg
I cleaned up the brackets back to bare metal and tried some of the Rust Prevention Magic from ECS to keep them natural. Only time will tell if its any good or not.

Good for you Monroe. That color looks fantastic too. Re: the paint dobs and lettering, most people have stamps made for the things like the axle tube. I think Richard Cranium did. Might ask him about that if you are still interested in getting the markings on it. The hand painted stuff was done by boobs just like us so it was individual and they weren't too worried about pretty handwriting. They were just marking it to distinguish what it was for assembly.

the underneath of your car looks fantastic. Glad to hear you got the issues with your parts coming across the border resolved.

[video]http://www.71sg.com/stamps.html[/video]

It HAS been a long while...I was starting to get worried.
So glad all is well, and that you got through the whole shipping issue.
Even though it was a big spend, you'll be glad you got the LSD done now. Then it won't be always hanging out there for you to do...wishing you'd just gotten it done and knowing it just isn't exactly how you want it.
The axle/rear diff look fantastic, and we know they are pretty on the inside too.
What an amazing car this is going to be!
Keep up the good work.

I decided to go for the LSD while it was all apart (thanks tallhair) so I purchased a powr-lok from Doctordiff. It arrived nice and quick and shipping wasn't too bad. I ordered new bearings and seals and a couple of other things from different suppliers and had them shipped to a warehouse in the States to be combined and forwarded. Hoping to save a few bucks that way on shipping. I've used this process before without any hassles but not this time. It took over a month and a half, after my goods got to the warehouse, before I finally got them. Shipping company said they were having dramas with there US counterparts and nothing was being forwarded. After a few phone calls and emails all came together. What a worry that was, I was concerned about losing all my gear. Anyway in the end it was only time and I got everything I ordered. I put everything back together again and finally got it back under the car. Had a bit of drama tightening the axles but got it sorted with a little help from '67 Coronet on the forums here. My sign writing ain't so good so I decided not to put all the original markings back on. The ones I did looked a bit ordinary so I didn't attempt anymore. I was never very good at painting. Till next time. :VB toast:

View attachment 144348 View attachment 144349 View attachment 144350 View attachment 144351 View attachment 144352
I cleaned up the brackets back to bare metal and tried some of the Rust Prevention Magic from ECS to keep them natural. Only time will tell if its any good or not.

that looks awesome monroe. and my buddy on his 69a12 car used satin clear coat for his natural look parts and it held up pretty good. but i dont think you will have any problems with that.

View attachment 144348 View attachment 144349 View attachment 144350 View attachment 144351 View attachment 144352

That looks great!! Thats a beautiful color, even the bottom pops out at ya!

On with the brakes

Finally got around to putting on the brakes on the rear axle. Cleaned up all the old bits and purchased some new springs, brake cylinders and cables. Still have to run the brake lines down and put the booster and master cylinder on. I got the booster reconditioned and cleaned up the master cylinder and put a kit through it. Still have to clean up the mc lid and hold down spring. Thank goodness for digital photos though. After looking at the photos I took, I realised that I put the left park brake cable on the wrong way around. Had to take it off again and put the spring end inside. :eek:ops:

Left rear.jpg Left rear 2.jpg Left rear 3.jpg Right rear 2.jpg
You can just see the cable in the back without the spring covering it.
Right rear.jpg Brake MC.jpg Booster and MC.jpg

I agree, what a beautiful color. Really nice work you doing "the car is looking great".

Auto Transport Service
Back