• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar 440 Cams

67coronetman

Local time
8:29 AM
Reaction score
So this will be a wide open question i am sure so if you guys out here had a Cam Company to buy a off the shelf cam or to Custom Grind you a cam who would it be..

1. Crane Cams

2. Isky Cams

3. Comp Cams

4. Racer Brown cams

5. Crower cams

6. Hughes Cams

7. Lunati Cams

8. Mopar Performance.

9. Erson Cams

10. Howard cams

11. Engle Cams

12. Bullet Cams

Last edited:
May I ask who the cam father is I mean I don't mean to sound stupid but I'm not really sure who that is

I think there are good cams from different companies for different aps and motors... I like Erson cams for chevies, I like lunati ft's for mopar, etc...

I guess all around if I had to choose a company to buy a cam for anything off of, I think Bullet would be the one, I have really good luck with their rollers... Nice guys too... AND THEM BOYS KNOW CAMS!!!!

Howards cams ground my Hughes roller cam, so Howards should be on the list....where is Bullet cams? Engle cams.

im using Lunati right now, not looking back

my 63.jpg
May I ask who the cam father is I mean I don't mean to sound stupid but I'm not really sure who that is

The "cam father" is probably Ed Iskenderian.
In 1963 when I was running my '63 Max Wedge Liteweight Plymouth I installed an ISKY "1012B" solid lifter flat tappet cam as NHRA then allowed any flat tappet cam and EVERYONE IN THE COUNTRY ran the ISKY 1012B. It, then, was by far the best cam for 426 Ramchargers.

Today I use a COMP cam and would stick with them. Check the HOT ROD web site and see their 440 and 505 builds, they use Comp Cams.

my 63.jpg

Hi I have had a purple shaft 557 solid and a custom comp cams solid roller in my current build, which is a 440 10.6 compression and 3.55 gears. The Coronet has run a best time of 12.26 with the 557 and 12.95 with the comp roller which I believe was a cheater cam with six pack duration specs and 586 lift. I purchased this cam used on ebay as an entry to a roller set up.
But the best cam I had was an old cam dynamics 294/304 526/501 in a 70 gtx with a tranplanted 70 6 pack engine with 4.10 gears. This set up had crazy mid range and top end speed. Although I never took that car to the track, the car ran with others who ran high 12's. Both cars could be driven out of town raced and driven back with no issues. Hope that helps.

View attachment 279757

The "cam father" IS Ed Iskenderian.
In 1963 when I was running my '63 Max Wedge Liteweight Plymouth I installed an ISKY "1012B" solid lifter flat tappet cam as NHRA then allowed any flat tappet cam and EVERYONE IN THE COUNTRY ran the ISKY 1012B. It, then, was by far the best cam for 426 Ramchargers.
You have to be old enough to know.

Got my hyd FT cam and valve train from Hughes. Mopars are all they do.

For an off the shelf cam, the Lunati Voodoo cams are pretty nice and use the 3-bolt timing gear for the big block Mopars.
I have used the Hughes cams in a few higher priced engines and they are good, but priced higher.
Comp has made me a few custom solid roller cams that I spec from their master cam lobe catalog. I'm sure I could get a simular cam from the other grinders like bullet/Ultradyne, but they don't provide much on-line information on their lobe profiles. I did use a custom "street roller" cam from Ultradyne in my 451 engine that worked very good and was easy on the valve train.
Back in the 1980's the Crower Compu-Pro and Beast profiles were some of the first Mopar specific (0.904" lifter) cams, I think the LSA might be slightly wider than a comparable Comp XE or Lunati Voodoo cam?
My first aftermarket cam (1970's) was the Mopar Performance purple shaft 284/0.484" small block cam. These cams were originally intended for bracket racing with headers, stall converter and such, but they did make good power, and were a fairly inexpensive cam/lifter kit. Mopar also sold several milder and hotter cams for different applications. I ran the 260/268 duration 0.430"/0.450" cam in a stock 318 for a truck with good results. The 292 0.508" cam was good in a high compression 360 bracket engine.

I will look at the different cam makes to find a cam with the specs I am looking for because an off the shelf cam is much less expensive than a custom ground cam.

I believe Ingle Cams is no longer in business.
I would say you can't go wrong with Comp, Racer Brown, Hughes, Howards, Lunati or Bullet as long as it's ground for the .904 lifter.

No, you may not ask. But I'll give you a clue.

Attachments

• 20150930_153024.jpg
    20150930_153024.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 673
No, you may not ask. But I'll give you a clue.

in 1969 ( In Gardena, CA) I actually had lunch with Ed Iskenderian and Aaron Fenton in a little neighborhood cafe which was close to both of their factories.
I worked for Fenton at the time in charge of their NHRA MAJOR SPONSOR PROGRAM and Isky's plant was right around the corner from Fenton's Wheel Factory and they had lunch together all the time in that little cafe.

I grew up in Torrance Ca went to school & Narbonne High i grew up at Lion's Drag Strip with my older bother who raced there..

in 1969 ( In Gardena, CA) I actually had lunch with Ed Iskenderian and Aaron Fenton in a little neighborhood cafe which was close to both of their factories.
I worked for Fenton at the time in charge of their NHRA MAJOR SPONSOR PROGRAM and Isky's plant was right around the corner from Fenton's Wheel Factory and they had lunch together all the time in that little cafe.

I was discussing a new business insurance policy with a guy named John Darien. Turns out he shortened his name from Iskendarian. Ed's grandson. Spoke with him for about 3 hours about "business." He showed me a bunch of pictures of a challenger he used to race. He told me his grandfather used to give him a lot of cams to try.

I've use most all the ones listed,
I actually prefer Crane Cams, they supported me for years...
Great product & stand behind it...
I run them in my engines & have had great success...

It's spec-ing the right type, style & intended use, for the camshaft be spec-ed out properly,
for your exact engine combo, weight, trans type, comp., cylinder-head flow & volume,
valve size, valve-train weight, style & ratio of rockers/pushrods needed, gears, stall speed,
etc. etc. etc.
IMO that stuff, is what's most important, not just a brand name...

They've had their ups & downs too,
just like 90% of the aftermarket, under new ownership/mngt & some new engineers,
some 10+ years ago...
Still were great to deal with, spec-ed out & custom ground a Hyd. roller
for my last 2) B-block 4.15" x 4.290" Ported Alum. head, 479ci/6bbl strokers, in 68 RR's...
I rarely give any recommendation on spec's...
I leave that up-to the actual camshaft engineers & experts...
I know what I like & what works for my combo's & my driving style...

Auto Transport Service
Back