• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar Action gone again?

I know a guy who is hoarding 60,000 old car mags dating back to the 30's.... He's hoping to finance his retirement.

He's wrong......

A big problem in our world is too much interest in B/E Hemi cars and not enough in Flying Green Bricks.
I've said that for 25 years.
Follow the money.

Last edited:
I take it that you are referring to Hot Rod magazine. Even it is only half the size it used to be.
And scaling back to 4 issues a year I thought I heard. Quarterly?
I let my Hot Rod subscription expire a few years ago. After 30 years, I finally let my Mopar Collector Guide subscription run out last summer, I didn't think it was worth it to pay close to $40 or whatever it is for yet another T shirt and the same old, same old magazine.
I was going to let MCG expire in '22 but then they sort of tricked me into another year. Costello shot my Magnum at a Mopar show that summer, and I decided I couldn't let my subscription run out when one of my cars was finally going to be featured in MCG, and I went quickly went online after the show and re-upped.
Well then they never even sent me the questionnaire I heard they send to owners whose cars are being considered for an article, and that fall at MCACN the Malaise era muscle cars feature I set up got a lot of attention by just about all the writers in their subsequent write ups of that years show, except Rob who ignored it.
So they got me for one last year.
I was a big Muscle Car Review fan, but that one died a couple years ago.
Now Mopar Action is kaput.
I used a get a ton of car mags, over the course of the last 40+ years, starting with Car Craft when I was in high school, but now just 2 left for me, Hemmings Muscle and Hemmings Classic Car.
I'm old school so I have really enjoyed magazines and miss the ones that are no more. The times they are a changing...

The last time M/A went kaput got 3 issues when it was revived. Had 3 issues to go now, not counting on another revival.

I subscribe to Muscle Cars ( Bone Stock & Modified ), from Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada. It is a quarterly magazine ( 4 issues per year ). $35 U.S. per year; $60 U.S. for 2 years. They have a web site.

Still no mention of it on their Facebook page.
It would be cool if they would confirm or deny or at least acknowledge.

I renewed my subscription back in October, and added the free subscription for a friend. My friend received his free magazine right after thanksgiving, but I am not sure I received the same issue? Anyhow, I wrote a check for the renewal, so the likelihood of a refund is minimal.

I am old school and enjoy magazines. Still supporting Chrysler Power and hope they survive.

I have a friend who's 14 year old son wants to learn about old cars. He gets all of my old magazines, and his mom says he reads them cover to cover. Maybe I will get him not only interested in cars, but even take a liking to print media?

I am old school and enjoy magazines. Still supporting Chrysler Power and hope they survive.

Didn't know Chrysler Power was still around. I'll have to subscribe to them.

The newest MCG online has a page about MA ceasing publication but no additional details.

I just renewed MA in Dec, 2 yrs for 39.99. Hope they don't fold up. I was subscribed to Car Craft when it went under and lost about $20 with them. I have HR too and saw the cover deal about going to 4 quarterly magazines and free subscription to MT online so you can see how to put an LS in anything.

Krause Publications was one of the largest, if not THE largest publishers of niche magazines and newspapers in the US.

They owned mags covering collectibles, firearms, outdoor sports etc. Perhaps 40 publications.

Revenues in the mid 7 figures.

All that changed when management sold the employee-owned company about two decades ago.

The employees were furious. The community as well. The founder of the company was going to sue.

In hindsight those that sold the company at it's peak saw the coming of digital media. They were visionaries

I knew many of the folks that worked there. They got pretty big checks after the sale... after all they owned the joint. I heard of many receiving hundreds of thousands $$$.

Just a few years after the sale the new owners dropped many magazines titles. Employees lost their jobs. The employee parking lot was empty.

Finally they moved out of state to their home turf in Ohio.

The building built to produce all of those great magazines was gifted to the Iola Old Car Show.

A melancholy ending for sure...

chevy craft.jpg

Krause Publications was one of the largest, if not THE largest publishers of niche magazines and newspapers in the US.
Yea I still get Old Cars Weekly ,Although it comes out twice a month these days !

I emailed RE about the death of MA and here's what he replied to me:

Seems to be true.
On the bright side, I am still looking down at the grass!
Rick

These upcoming generations that eschew all manner of former things in favor of the internet are putting
all their eggs in one basket in doing so. They'd best hope there always is an internet - because I believe
a lot of them could not literally survive without it.

Ain’t that the truth. Far too many youngsters wouldn’t know how to get home if the GPS on their phones crapped out ….. and they were only 15 minutes away.

Ain’t that the truth. Far too many youngsters wouldn’t know how to get home if the GPS on their phones crapped out ….. and they were only 15 minutes away.
I haven't seen a paper map in years. When I was a kid, I always had our state map in my glovebox.

Auto Transport Service
Back