• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motor Boat

Dan The Man

Local time
12:34 PM
Reaction score
69 Charger 440. Ever since redoing my fuel system, because it laid for 5 years with ethanol gas, and now running ethanol free rec 90, it sounds like a motor boat from the exhaust tips. Haven't taken it on the road yet to see if it pings. Still tuning the carb. Is the octane to low?

Hmmm,
I have no clue
It's not missing is it? (Spark?)
Have no clue
Not exhaust leak?

I'll look into those. Leaning toward exhaust leak. BTW, we had a Schipperke for 16 years that died a few years back. Looking to take the plunge again, but not at $2000. I paid $300 and nobody knew what he was. Great dog!

Get some heavy rubber gloves and pull a plug wire at a time. See if anything changes.
With true duals you should be able to tell if one side sounds different than the other.
Does it jump with no lag if you hit the throttle?

I'll look into those. Leaning toward exhaust leak. BTW, we had a Schipperke for 16 years that died a few years back. Looking to take the plunge again, but not at $2000. I paid $300 and nobody knew what he was. Great dog!
we love our little Schipk!
Yeah, could be an exhaust leak as I haven't heard it yet...
Good luck!

Get some heavy rubber gloves and pull a plug wire at a time. See if anything changes.
With true duals you should be able to tell if one side sounds different than the other.
Does it jump with no lag if you hit the throttle?
I can pull them at the cap, correct?

Ethanol does not turn to Varnish...
What it does do is Crystalize...I usr a Local Ethanol treatment in my Carb vehicles and my Nitro Bass Boat Dan
But the Motorboat or Harley Davidson sound does remind me ion an exhaust leak
And try to pull a plug at a time as car is running (Miss-fire) as Don and I mentioned..

I can pull them at the cap, correct?
Yes you can, but I prefer to do it at each plug. Just easier to keep track but you could just put temp labels one each plug wire at the cap as well.
Should hear/notice a change each time you pull one.
If it doesn't change then likely that cylinder has a problem: could be ignition, valve or ring.
You don't have Autolite plugs by chance?
I helped a member here with his car had 4 bad ones countem FOUR.

Nothing wrong with Autolite plugs.
Sitting so long the carb is probably dirty.
Octane low? Does it spark knock on accelleration? If not, octane is fine.

Auto Transport Service
Back