• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motor home 440 engine?

Being a Motorhome motor, you can be guaranteed sure that it's never been revved anywhere near redline, had foot on the floor neutral drops done to the tranny, and other abuses that big blocks get! And they don't have many miles on them to begin with. Good Luck
This is true.
MH engines often came with double roller timing chains and windage trays too.
Yeah, the compression ratios were low. A steel shim head gasket is already used on them so don't expect to gain anything there. The only fix is new pistons. Stock ones were often flat tops but they were almost .200" BELOW deck at TDC ! You can improve things with the
Edelbrock small chamber heads....
If you are doing a big block swap, the MH engine can get you in the game right now for little $$$. Later as you have more money you can pull the engine for a proper rebuild.

Mine is a 77 motorhome block. I used only the block (complete build w custom parts). The late motorhome blocks (i think 76 and later - someone will correct me) have siamese water ports in the block and heads for better cooling. Which is nice...

Some guys love a thermoquad,some don't. I for one do. I sent mine to Scott Smith at Harms for a complete rebuild. With shipping it cost about $450. I's on my 318 D 350 truck and runs very well.It was a factory 1973 340 carb.

The best thing Georges is that you will (or should) have a solid rebuildable engine for later on , if/when you choose to re-do it...it's most likely never been torn apart, bored out or machined etc..if it's ready for the taking $500 is okay in this day and age as the big bruisers are getting harder to find..

I am probably going to snag this one once the weather breaks for $500.00 for the 440, trans and Dana 60 and front van parts for future hippie van project. Inside is water damaged all over it.

77 dodge motorhome 2.jpg 77 dodge motorhome.jpg 77 dodge motorhome3.jpg

6PKRTSE....that's the way to go.

I bought a 1980 class c motor home with a 440 for $500 with only 275 miles on it. It had the short tail shaft transmission with the e-brake on the transmission. Parted out the rest of the MH and actually came out money ahead...just out a little labor. The motor was a 78 build, and looked brand new inside.

Story was that the city of Toledo bought it to make a book mobile and it only made the trip from the manufacturer to Toledo. The bookmobile project never came to fruition so the MH sat in storage until I bought it about 5 years ago.

I had it built to a 512 and it ended up at 647 HP and 677 TQ on the dyno. Haven't had it in the car yet so I don't how it will be on the street.

Put a 5th wheel on it with a wrecker bed that would be sweet for pulling a 5th wheel trailer..

Auto Transport Service
Back