• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motor home 440

Another thing about that MH 440....the water pump looks like it empties out on the passenger side. These pumps have a huge sewer sized opening inside the casting for water flow compared to the car pumps which have a little pencil sized hole. So, if you can live with having difficulty getting a timing light on the marks because the WP outlet is blocking it then great cooling is the payoff. I have one on mine.

Water Pump Housings from www.440 Source.com

1667340994168.png
1667341097740.png

Still another thing about the MH 440's is that it very likely has a dual row timing chain, and heavy six pack connecting rods. It may even have a forged steel crank. All keepers unless you are going stock rebuild then swap out the heavy rods for lighter weight LY rods.

I have the same casting number 4006630 except mine is 440-1, same pad stamp of 8T 440 E. Mine came out of a motorhome as well. Will be a nice addition to your Belvedere.
Thanks! Good to hear yours worked well for you. I was a little hesitant because it was out of a motorhome, but it is only supposed to have just over 10k miles on it.

There's nothing wrong with MH 440's. With the right intake, carb, pistons and machining they wake right up.

I have heard several arguments that the later 440 blocks are actually better. A higher nickel content makes them harder and the webbing around mains is thicker.

Hughes sells a whiplash cam for the RV engines that’s supposed to help. The Summit K6401 is a cheaper choice though and a decent cam.

Biggest differences that are found on motorhome 440 engines are a steel crank and six pack rods being used. Heads can also be different with more water passages. There is even a 452 head for RV's that have the small peanut type plug.

The engines built with the raised water pump are 361/413 engines and are very different up top above the short block.
These are what most refer to as "industrial" engines, and even they came with 3 different packages depending on the applicaton.

Hughes sells a whiplash cam for the RV engines that’s supposed to help. The Summit K6401 is a cheaper choice though and a decent cam.
The whiplash cam is tricky to tune since the idle is pretty rough.
The Summit cam has a smooth idle but makes good power around 2,500 rpm and has great low end torque.

The whiplash cam is tricky to tune since the idle is pretty rough.
The Summit cam has a smooth idle but makes good power around 2,500 rpm and has great low end torque.
You are correct, mine liked 15deg initial timing with the vacum adv unplugged.

Biggest differences that are found on motorhome 440 engines are a steel crank and six pack rods being used. Heads can also be different with more water passages. There is even a 452 head for RV's that have the small peanut type plug.

The engines built with the raised water pump are 361/413 engines and are very different up top above the short block.
These are what most refer to as "industrial" engines, and even they came with 3 different packages depending on the applicaton.
My RV 440 was a 75 block had 452 heads with a cast crank and LY rods. Not all RV engines had steel cranks. Pictures below show the extra coolant ports.

IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_1253.JPG

IMG_1256.JPG

IMG_1248.JPG

Last edited:
The 440 source article has good info on casting and webs etc but unfortunately doesn't touch on this subject whatsoever

The 440 source article has good info on casting and webs etc but unfortunately doesn't touch on this subject whatsoever
Doesn't touch on what subject?

Some " Industrial/cold weather-truck" blocks 440-426-413 look like this..

1667429730521.png

My RV 440 was a 75 block had 452 heads with a cast crank and LY rods. Not all RV engines had steel cranks. Pictures below show the extra coolant ports.

View attachment 1367461

View attachment 1367462

View attachment 1367478

View attachment 1367479

View attachment 1367461

View attachment 1367462

View attachment 1367478

View attachment 1367479
Wow, that is quite abit of extra cooling ports! Your engine looks great. I am on the fence about painting it blue or orange.

The guy I got mine from had a video of it cranking over building 40+ psi of oil pressure. My intention is to change the pan, pull the valve covers, change the intake and carb. add headers, clean and paint it, and see if it will run ok for now.

The guy I got mine from had a video of it cranking over building 40+ psi of oil pressure. My intention is to change the pan, pull the valve covers, change the intake and carb. add headers, clean and paint it, and see if it will run ok for now.
I used a 76 RV 440 in my coronet. 38k on it.
After getting it home and on the stand I cleaned it up then took the top end off and pan.
Bores looked great, pulled a rod and main cap , bearings looked fine so put them back.
New oil pickup and b body pan along with new rear main seal.
New cam and dbl row chain.
On the 452 heads. Once I pulled the springs I ckd
The guides for play. All felt good. So lap the valves and install new seals.
Put it all back together.
Fast forward 2 years, it runs great , good oil pressure.
They may be low compression but I can buy fuel anyplace :drinks:

Auto Transport Service
Back