• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motor noise ?

I tell you what it COULD be. Of course, it would require a teardown and inspection. The big blocks had a split from early to late as far as lifters. The early used one type and the late another. I think you can swap one way, but not the other. I don't know the specifics....maybe someone else will, but I KNOW for SURE that early big blocks used a different lifter than the later ones. That could certainly account for it.

THE RAT has a point....if you cant isolate the noise.....id guess the lifters are to blame being they spread all over the engine. perhaps the wrong lifters were installed causing excessive valve lash !

I didn't know that about the lifters. I'll have to research that a little. Suppose to be a stock Mopar Magnum cam - but who knows - could have slipped in something strange like Rhodes lifters - but kind of unlikley with what seems to be a stock cam.

That just doesn't sound like lifters to me, more like pistons. Are you sure there are no exhaust leaks?

I tell you what it COULD be. Of course, it would require a teardown and inspection. The big blocks had a split from early to late as far as lifters. The early used one type and the late another. I think you can swap one way, but not the other. I don't know the specifics....maybe someone else will, but I KNOW for SURE that early big blocks used a different lifter than the later ones. That could certainly account for it.

There was a difference in early and late hydraulic lifters because of differences in the pushrod end. The early ones have a long taper, and the late ones are a 5/16" ball. There is a height difference because of the engagement difference between the two types, but I seem to recall an oiling groove height difference also, allowing you to go one way (early-->late or early<---late), but I do not remember or can I find any info on that.

Info from Comp Cams:
V8 B-383-440, 1958-67--------Dia. --.904"/110g-------Seat height--1.91"
V8 B-383-440, 1968-Present---Dia.---.904"/109g-------Seat height--1.88"

The seat height is the pushrod seat height.

http://www.compcams.com/Products/CC-'Hydraulic Lifters'-0.aspx

That just doesn't sound like lifters to me, more like pistons. Are you sure there are no exhaust leaks?

Yes, I'm sure of that. And I've had exhaust leaks before. Typically sounds like a bad lifter - but only 1 or 2. Typically goes away or at least changes in sound as the motor warms up and expands.

There was a difference in early and late hydraulic lifters because of differences in the pushrod end. The early ones have a long taper, and the late ones are a 5/16" ball. There is a height difference because of the engagement difference between the two types, but I seem to recall an oiling groove height difference also, allowing you to go one way (early-->late or early<---late), but I do not remember or can I find any info on that.

Info from Comp Cams:
V8 B-383-440, 1958-67--------Dia. --.904"/110g-------Seat height--1.91"
V8 B-383-440, 1968-Present---Dia.---.904"/109g-------Seat height--1.88"

The seat height is the pushrod seat height.

http://www.compcams.com/Products/CC-'Hydraulic Lifters'-0.aspx

Would .03" cause a lash problem with hydraulic lifters and stock rockers? I guess this wouldn't be mentioned if it wouldn't.

Hope I can get the intake off without having to de-gas the AC system. I can't remember.

Would .03" cause a lash problem with hydraulic lifters and stock rockers? I guess this wouldn't be mentioned if it wouldn't.

Hope I can get the intake off without having to de-gas the AC system. I can't remember.

You bet. .030" off the lash could certainly be what the deal is. IF that's what it is, it would also explain why there hasn't been a failure. .030" is just enough to cause a noise, but no damage.

You bet. .030" off the lash could certainly be what the deal is. IF that's what it is, it would also explain why there hasn't been a failure. .030" is just enough to cause a noise, but no damage.

I'm still not real clear on this subject. If there are two different lifters with different pushrod seat heights - then there must be two different length pushrods also (or different rocker arms). Yet, in reading up on the subject there seems to only be one length pushrod available (stock anyway). Checking pushrod length is relatively simple compared to checking lifters. If there is a shorter pushrod and that turns out to be what is in my car now - I would probably install longer ones just to see if it solved my problem.

I just recently rebuilt a 383 for my 65 coronet wagon. Since the rebuild I have noticed some valve noise at idle as well, but I was just thinking it was the fact of worn rockers. Until I read this post and think about the fact that I used all of the original 66,000 mile rockers, shafts, and pushrods from my 65 361 BB in the rebuilt 383. I Did notice that the 383 pushrods were ball end on both end were the 361 pushrods were tapered but thought nothing about it. I also noticed that once while I had the valve covers off I could twist or rotate the pushrod were it seems as most other hyd. lifters you can not if the lifters are pumped up.
So by reading this post I think it explains my noise and possible yours.
You have to also think about the fact of having thicker head gaskets from around .020 stock steel shims to about .040 of the felpro gaskets on top of the .030 difference in the lifter seat. So that could be up to .050 of difference if the heads or block have never been machined.
Thanks, Matt

cool

when i go to any car cruise....i enter with "INNA-GADDA-DA-VIDA " blasting on the stereo at about 110 Db. try that and people will stop asking " whats wrong with your engine"......and start asking... hey dude,,,,,wanna burn one ? ":headbang:

good one dude:headbang::headbang:

i have heard A/C compressors make that noise you describe. do you have a stethoscope? if ya do ....put it all over the motor until you find it.....if you dont have a stethoscope....get a coat hanger....bend one end on a tight loop and stick it in your ear....take the other end and commence to lookin for the noise. TRY NOT TO GET IT CAUGHT IN THE FAN.....that could be messy !

x2

my 318 started making the same sound as yours...mine sounds like its near the drivers side valve cover or in that area...what could it be? a lifter? a valve? or piston? im pulling engine in spring and installing a 440 but hate to ruin a engine with 49k miles by letting it go and not fixing..the A/C quit working right before i bought the car the previous owner said..and it does not work at all right now,could that be the problem?

I'm still not real clear on this subject. If there are two different lifters with different pushrod seat heights - then there must be two different length pushrods also (or different rocker arms). Yet, in reading up on the subject there seems to only be one length pushrod available (stock anyway). Checking pushrod length is relatively simple compared to checking lifters. If there is a shorter pushrod and that turns out to be what is in my car now - I would probably install longer ones just to see if it solved my problem.

As I said in my original post about the lifters, I do not know all the specifics myself. I just KNOW there are early and late lifters for the big block. In my other comments, I am merely saying that if everything said about them is TRUE, then they could be the problem. I mean....unless we are all standing around the thing, it's kinda hard to diagnose. lol

Also, as others have mentioned, it certainly would not hurt a thing to remove the belts and pop it off. Quick and easy to do and you never know. It might be something on the belt drive. Won't take much to find out.

70rr brian might be right about the heater coil/spring I had a 73 newport that had that annoying sound at idle and it was the heater coil

bigal you might be onto something with the exhaust leak it can sound exactly like a bad lifter

Auto Transport Service
Back