• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motor shutters at Idel.

blue69runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:30 PM
Reaction score
So now the motor is back together and fired it up. The hydraulic lifters rattled a little then quitted down. It seems to shutter back and forth. Like a rough ideal but it take fuel and rpms go up but when letting off at idle again it starts to shake some. I don't remember it doing this before. Thought it was smooth running. Any thoughts. Sounds like maybe something in the passenger side bank. Oh, it is a 383 Motor.

Did you double check the firing order?

You can pull one plug wire at a time and see if the idle gets worse. If no change then there is something wrong with that cylinder.

It did sit for three months without running while waiting for the new head to be done. Changed the oil and filter. I will check all the above. It is like what else. Thanks, everyone. Blue

I’m on board with the compression test.

But before I did that, I’d try and borrow(if you don’t have one) an infrared heat gun and check the exhaust temps.

Could just be a bad plug (Autolite for example)
Shaking is usually more than one cylinder mis-firing or not firing.

Auto Transport Service
Back