• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Move Steering Box for more room

Most times I find You can only get about 2.5 degrees with the bushings. You can shorten the strut rods 3/8" which will help. Or what I've seen on some S/S cars is moving the k-frame attaching nuts forward. I've seen them with 7 degrees. Remember chassis rake will effect your caster number. The higher the rear of the car , the less positive caster you can acheive. My 64 had only 2.5 degrees and tracks fine at speed. It also has nearly 3 degrees of chassis rake.
Doug

I wanted to lower the whole car about an inch to inch and a half. So that would effectively lower the pitman and idler arms toward the ground in relation to the steering arm tie rod ends which would remain the same distance from the ground.
I had hoped to use stock components and see how "modern" the handling could be made within their design limits. Great idea to look at pulling the LCA forward a bit to help here as well.
I have seen adjustable and/or offset upper ball joints and will check around for some that would fit and rock the spindle rearward a bit more. The ones I have seen were 1 1/2* shift.
I really appreciate your time and input. JeffJ

If the rear of the body is lower than stock I would bet the bushings by themselves will get it. Though every once in while there would be a car that was further out of range do to tolerance stack up.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back