• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moving with a rusted front frame

rklewis1005

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:57 PM
Reaction score
All, my dad sent me a picture of the LH (driver's side) front frame rail from the 70 Charger today. I'm planning on moving it 700 miles to my location in May (U-Haul Auto Tow Trailer). We're concerned about doing more damage to the car when we put it on/off the trailer and during the transport (bouncing). Has anyone dealt with a similar situation and could provide some insight? We're thinking of putting some 2x8 supports side to side under the KFrame and where the Frame Rails attach to the Unibody to keep it from bouncing during the transport. We could also remove the engine prior to transport to help keep the weight off (not my fav idea). Anyone done this before?

LH-FrontFrame-1.jpg

TIA,
Ross

You did say ( trailer) not toter ,
All 4 wheels up on a trailer I would haul it as is.

You did say ( trailer) not toter ,
All 4 wheels up on a trailer I would haul it as is.
Yes, definitely via Trailer with all 4 wheels up on the trailer. That front frame rail is mostly rust / non-existent. You wouldn't be concerned about it bouncing/flexing while pulling it onto a trailer or during the ride?

All, my dad sent me a picture of the LH (driver's side) front frame rail from the 70 Charger today. I'm planning on moving it 700 miles to my location in May (U-Haul Auto Tow Trailer). We're concerned about doing more damage to the car when we put it on/off the trailer and during the transport (bouncing). Has anyone dealt with a similar situation and could provide some insight? We're thinking of putting some 2x8 supports side to side under the KFrame and where the Frame Rails attach to the Unibody to keep it from bouncing during the transport. We could also remove the engine prior to transport to help keep the weight off (not my fav idea). Anyone done this before?

View attachment 1644946

TIA,
Ross
Looks to me like your fears are well founded. The 2X8 cradle will help for sure but remember to keep the speed down of rough roads. Any weight you remove from the K-Frame area would lessen the likelyhood of further damage. Supporting the cradle all the way to the trailer deck and securing it there would all even more chance for success.

Not to scare you but uhaul f'ed me one time on a transport trailer. I bought a coronet 400 miles away from home. My plan was to drive there, meet my uncle who was going to pull it for me, and haul it home. Reserved a trailer a week before my trip and they assured me it would be available. The night before i was leaving i double checked just to make sure. Sons of a ******* at uhell cancelled my reservation and didn't have any trailers within a couple hundred miles and opposite of where i was headed. WTF is a reservation for if they're not going to hold the damn thing. I needed a trailer because i knew it had a bad rear axle seal and old cracked tires. Tough **** they said and they weren't helpful at all. I had to rush and leave early so i could get to an O'reillys that had some axle seals because no one in town had them. Also had to pull couple wheels off of another car so i'd at least have some decent tires for the rear wheels for the tow dolly setup. I was barely able to get a tow dolly but then i had the axle seal problem. The son of a bitch i bought the car from didn't want me replacing the seal on his property due to "liability issues" so i had to tow it off his property to a wide spot beside the road and replace the damn seal roadside. This was my first axle seal replacement and i wasn't exactly sure what the hell i was doing since it was a last minute thing. Of course i couldn't get the damn seal out but a neighbor guy saw me working and came over to offer help. He went back to his shop and brough back a slide hammer and that made simple work of getting the seal out. Thank god for nice people like that. Got it done though and towed home. I'm still pissed at uhaul for not even having the courtesy to inform me they cancelled my reservation. It's a good thing i double checked or i'd be really pissed after driving 400 miles just to find out there's no trailer or tow dolly.

Why not weld a brace under the frame before transporting it to be safe.

You've got a whole heap of repairs ahead of you anyway - I don't see what more damage is going to occur just transporting the car. Rusted steel can hold together for a long time, the front half of the car is not going to just fall off the trailer. Pull it on rear first if you're worried (if you can't drive it on).

the nice thing about fixing rust buckets is you can't really F them up any more than they already are.......... any area that folds up is toast anyway

Last edited:
What does the other side look like?

Is there an engine in the car?

I had a 66 Coronet 4 door parts car with frame rust in the same area.
Inside and bottom were gone.
Top and outside were still there.
I drove that car.
...and it drove good. No steering issues or odd noises.

the nice thing about fixing rust buckets us you can't really F them up any more than they already are.......... any area that folds up is toast anyway
I think I could hear a Jersey accent on that one

Aka Filthadelphia accent

Yes, definitely via Trailer with all 4 wheels up on the trailer. That front frame rail is mostly rust / non-existent. You wouldn't be concerned about it bouncing/flexing while pulling it onto a trailer or during the ride?I
If you get 4 wheels on it the car will load. Pull it from the good side.
Once its on the trailer tie it down and go home.
One thing I will caution on is the windshield and rear glass, make sure they still are stuck.

If you get 4 wheels on it the car will load. Pull it from the good side.
Once its on the trailer tie it down and go home.
One thing I will caution on is the windshield and rear glass, make sure they still are stuck.
Appreciate the advice on the glass - not sure there is a good side yet :)

Not to scare you but uhaul f'ed me one time on a transport trailer. I bought a coronet 400 miles away from home. My plan was to drive there, meet my uncle who was going to pull it for me, and haul it home. Reserved a trailer a week before my trip and they assured me it would be available. The night before i was leaving i double checked just to make sure. Sons of a ******* at uhell cancelled my reservation and didn't have any trailers within a couple hundred miles and opposite of where i was headed. WTF is a reservation for if they're not going to hold the damn thing. I needed a trailer because i knew it had a bad rear axle seal and old cracked tires. Tough **** they said and they weren't helpful at all. I had to rush and leave early so i could get to an O'reillys that had some axle seals because no one in town had them. Also had to pull couple wheels off of another car so i'd at least have some decent tires for the rear wheels for the tow dolly setup. I was barely able to get a tow dolly but then i had the axle seal problem. The son of a bitch i bought the car from didn't want me replacing the seal on his property due to "liability issues" so i had to tow it off his property to a wide spot beside the road and replace the damn seal roadside. This was my first axle seal replacement and i wasn't exactly sure what the hell i was doing since it was a last minute thing. Of course i couldn't get the damn seal out but a neighbor guy saw me working and came over to offer help. He went back to his shop and brough back a slide hammer and that made simple work of getting the seal out. Thank god for nice people like that. Got it done though and towed home. I'm still pissed at uhaul for not even having the courtesy to inform me they cancelled my reservation. It's a good thing i double checked or i'd be really pissed after driving 400 miles just to find out there's no trailer or tow dolly
That's quite an adventure and not a fun one. Luckily it's in my dad's garage (spending a couple nights) and there are many places within an hour or two to rent one. Crossing fingers they didn't screw me.over but if they do, we'll adapt and overcome like you did!

Auto Transport Service
Back