• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MSD 6 issue

ksurfer2

Local time
5:45 PM
Reaction score
I have installed a MSD 6AL Programmable unit in my car, replacing a standard MSD6AL. My distributor is locked and I dropped the dizzy in at 38* advanced with the rotor lined up to the #1 cylinder. broke out the laptop and created a curve that started at 25* (pulling 13* of timing) at 0 rpm and ramped up to 35* (pulling 3* of timing) at 1000 rpm and stayed at that level until the 7500 rpm rev limit. My idle speed is 1100rpm. When I started the car it fired quickly and idled fine. To confirm the timing, I pulled out a timing light. I found that the engine was at 25* at idle and would not advance with more throttle. I checked all the wiring. I have the main power and grounds run directly to the battery (as per instructions) and have a solid 12.6 volts at the unit. I have also confirmed 12v coming from the small 12v switched red wire. The orange and black wires are run to the coil as per directions and the green and violet wires are going to my pro-billet distributor (as per directions). The grey wire is feeding my tach and shift light. I am using an Autometer Level II shift light that displays rpm as well. After starting, the regular tach would read rpm properly, but the shift light rpm was all over the place...up to 3,000-5,000 rpm when at idle or just above. Also, when the engine was not running the shift light was displaying 410 in the rpm read out.

What I cannot find confirmation of is when the LED should be lit and when (and how often) it should blink. When I turn the ignition switch on, the LED blinks twice and then goes out.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

So I have continued to try to troubleshoot this issue...the software does display battery voltage. Prior to starting the display is showing 12+ volts. After firing it will only be in the 11's. Car will shut off. It is not stumbling like it is out of fuel, just stops running. I have had the batteries checked at my local auto parts store and they check out fine. I have tried with the MSD hooked directly to the batteries and also with the red wire to the power feed at the starter solenoid and the ground to the block. No change. I am about at my whits end with this.

Sounds like it's not charging?
Check that and then try Holley tech support

Perhaps, try it with a battery charger Hooked up

The drop to 11v is more likely just voltage drop in the cct. Other devices, tach, gauges, radio etc are drawing current which causes a voltage drop [ normal ]. The MSD 6 is designed to work on 8-10v, so this should not be an issue

Not all tachs work directly with the MSD 6. The device that is playing up probably needs one of the MSD tach adapters such as #8910, 8920 etc.

The drop to 11v is more likely just voltage drop in the cct. Other devices, tach, gauges, radio etc are drawing current which causes a voltage drop [ normal ]. The MSD 6 is designed to work on 8-10v, so this should not be an issue

Not all tachs work directly with the MSD 6. The device that is playing up probably needs one of the MSD tach adapters such as #8910, 8920 etc.
I am planning to call MSD's tech support today to try to sort out the issue. The shift light/tach that is going haywire worked just find with the MSD 6AL that was in the car previously, so I don't think an adapter will be required.

MSD Tech Support advised that I check the coil, so I will do that tonight. They stated that the two flashes that I am getting from the box is due to low voltage. How could a bad coil provide a low voltage indication to the box when the engine isn't running? If it is not the coil, the next step would be sending the box back for replacement.

MSD Tech Support advised that I check the coil, so I will do that tonight. They stated that the two flashes that I am getting from the box is due to low voltage. How could a bad coil provide a low voltage indication to the box when the engine isn't running? If it is not the coil, the next step would be sending the box back for replacement.
If it ran fine before the swap I really doubt there would be anything wrong with the coil.

I'm assuming the car doesn't have an alternator? Thus the 11 volts
So I have continued to try to troubleshoot this issue...the software does display battery voltage. Prior to starting the display is showing 12+ volts. After firing it will only be in the 11's.
You run an alternator. It should not be at 11.x volts. Should be 14.X volts
A low voltage MSD fault code to boot.
Start there first.
Doug

New the MSD digital stuff is going to be way more sensitive to the power feed. Analog is much more forgiving when it comes to voltage inconsistency. But sub 12v while running the MSD is not going to be happy.

I wish people would not give info that they have no knowledge on.

The sensitivity to the power feed will depend on what type of regulating device/circuit is used & has NOTHING to do with analog or digital design.

And MSD 6AL will work on 9v..

img261.jpg

Over the weekend, I tried hooking the box up to another battery to see if that would cure the low voltage signal. When hooking the old box I new was good to the battery I know is good, I got the 5 flashes. The new box still gave the 2 flash low voltage indicator.

After speaking with MSD Tech support, it has been determined that the box is bad. Summit is sending out a new one.

Auto Transport Service
Back