• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MSD 6A wiring question

krowbar

Local time
3:46 AM
Reaction score
I have a New MSD 6A box. I just finished rewiring my rear mounted battery connections correctly. The problem I'm seeing is when I leave the negative battery cable off for more than a minute and reconnect it, I get a small spark at the negative battery terminal. I know why, because of the MSD capacitor. My question is this-- Has anyone ever wired in a 30 amp relay to the large 12 volt power wire to the MSD or any other C.D.I. box. My thought is to wire the relay to a toggle switch or ignition on circuit so that its not always sparking at the battery when I connect it. I leave the negative cable off the battery when its not being driven.

I know this may be too easy, but why not just put a battery terminal disconnect on the negative side and save having to disconnect the battery every time and eliminate the sparking.

Short the neg cable to ground first before re connecting it should get rid of any capacitance left behind. your not hurting your battery or msd at all with that little free electron discharge.

Short the neg cable to ground first before re connecting it should get rid of any capacitance left behind. your not hurting your battery or msd at all with that little free electron discharge.
How is that gonna work? The negative cable is already grounded.

- - - Updated - - -

I know this may be too easy, but why not just put a battery terminal disconnect on the negative side and save having to disconnect the battery every time and eliminate the sparking.
I use a quick disconnect battery terminal on the negative cable. I would have to put a battery kill switch on the positive cable, I'm guessing. I'm just curious if my relay idea would have any adverse effects on the MSD box.

Auto Transport Service
Back