• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MSD distributor connection question

Virg464

Local time
9:38 AM
Reaction score
I'm running an MSD distributor on my car, 66 coronet, early 70's 400 (408), with early 70's ign/charging setup. Running an aftermarket 4 pin ign cntr mod. To the best of my research abilities I traced out the + and - dist leads from the module, the leads from the distributor are known from MSD paperwork. This is a new motor and will have to run for a break-in, once it's up and running. I was able to fire it today and it did run for about 30 sec at 2000 to 2500 RPM before I shut it down.

So, the connection question is: what would be the effect if the distributor leads were connected backwards, would the motor fire at all, would it fire but run strangely/stumble, something all together different?

Any input will be appreciated.

It will run either way as far as I know. There will be a difference in timing as I recall.

If the p/up wires are reversed, the ign will be advanced about 30*. It also affects the rotor phasing. Engine may run, but would be very rough & probably backfire.

If the p/up wires are reversed, the ign will be advanced about 30*. It also affects the rotor phasing. Engine may run, but would be very rough & probably backfire.
I must have got it right, the motor fired up and I got about 10 min of run time at approx 2500 rpm before the smoke and fumes from the header pipes got to be too much (even with multiple fans/blowers). I'll get some more run time tomorrow.

Auto Transport Service
Back