• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MSD ignition headaches

Slayer72

Local time
10:54 AM
Reaction score
Last year I was getting a very lite pop out of my carb at random times.
Over the winter I pulled the dist cap and found some oxidation. As well center terminal on cap was almost gone and rotor terminal had corrosion on it.
Out came the dist for a clean up, new cap,rotor, advance stop bushing and clean up of the weights.
Put it back together and have been unable to get rid of a light ping no matter where the timing is set. Finally got timing set so it starts nice hot and cold, and was going to drop some colder plugs in it to see if that would smarten it up.
Pulled the plugs today and found plugs 1,4,6 and 7 looking ok to a touch lean and the rest looking rich ??? It appears to me I have something funky going on with my spark as every second plug following the firing order is showing two different conditions.

Any ideas what’s up here ? Car runs strong other than light pinging around 2000 rpm.
6Al box, blaster 2 coil, msd 8534 mech adv dizzy. Heavy silver springs . Blue stop bushing . Msd 8.5 mm wires

If its a dual plane manifold your carb probably needs work and or disassembled and blown out with compressed air.A lean condition on one side will cause pinging. Plugged air bleed or crap in a jet.

If you have a rev limiter pill in, try pulling it. I've had them give me fits in a racing application.

If its a dual plane manifold your carb probably needs work and or disassembled and blown out with compressed air.A lean condition on one side will cause pinging. Plugged air bleed or crap in a jet.
TFTR 451bee. Yes dual plane and carb has been tore down and gone through. No issues found in the carb. And it isn’t all the cylinders in one bank lean or rich. It’s 2 on each side.

TFTR 451bee. Yes dual plane and carb has been tore down and gone through. No issues found in the carb. And it isn’t all the cylinders in one bank lean or rich. It’s 2 on each side.
I will take foot out of mouth now and go through the carb again. I did some googling on how my intake works. I see where your coming from now 451bee . Totally makes sense now. Thanks.

I will take foot out of mouth now and go through the carb again. I did some googling on how my intake works. I see where your coming from now 451bee . Totally makes sense now. Thanks.

you can send your box back to MSD and have them go through it. Might have a diode inside the box that’s worked it’s way loose.

you can send your box back to MSD and have them go through it. Might have a diode inside the box that’s worked it’s way loose.
Going through the carb again as previously suggested. Have access to another box to try if carb work don’t straighten things out. Thank you

Did u ever correct the problem
I have same set up, but all my plugs are the same color

Auto Transport Service
Back