• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1967 Belvedere Convertible Plans and Restoration (aka - Mad Scientist Build)

This rotisserie is the best thing since sliced bread . . . been doing a lot of thinking and working on the bottom of the car . . .

After talking to Devin - decided that his idea of bed liner on the bottom of the car is a pretty good idea, so I ordered that this week . . .

And I've been working on the bottom of the car as well, trying to get some things wrapped up so that the car can go back on all fours . . .

Got this area cleaned up a bit, and in epoxy primer . . . the top right is where my E-brake cable will come from the cab . . .

sm_rotisserie36.jpg

An this is the tight area that I need to figure out the connection to the E-brakes . . .

sm_rotisserie37.jpg

Here's the bracket that will need to be mounted ( hope that I have enough room here to make it all happen . . . it's going to be tight . . .

sm_rotisserie38.jpg

Also working on the gas fill tube . . . this is bolted in place, and cut through the floor of the trunk . ..

sm_rotisserie39.jpg

from there I'm thinking going in this direction ( it will go through the frame rail . . .

sm_rotisserie40.jpg

and one more piece angled to bring it into the center section then a rubber hose connection to the tank . . .
These pieces will allow me to do some more practice on my TIG welding too . . .

sm_rotisserie41.jpg

Gawd . . . I'm hoping that this is going to work out for the tube
( if it's all welded in place - is that a problem - or does it need to rubber isolated ? )

Was a "balmy" 40 degrees in the shop yesterday . . . and I spent about 6 hours out there fighting with this filler tube fabrication . . .

Got the underside of it mostly done, but got a couple pin holes that need to be fixed . . .

sm_rotisserie42.jpg

Then I'll have to get the welding done that connects the "top" part of the filler to this "bottom" part of the filler - with no pin hole leaks to boot . . .

And get the rest of it all welded into place . . . fitment is so-so . . . just didn't want to cooperate . . . but should be able to make it work.

Sanding . . . Sanding . . . Sanding . . . Sanding . . .

trying to get the bottom of the car ready to shoot the Liner Xtreme . . . gawd there is a lot of stuff under there . . .

Sanding . . . Sanding . . . Sanding . . . Sanding . . .

trying to get the bottom of the car ready to shoot the Liner Xtreme . . . gawd there is a lot of stuff under there . . .
:lol: I don't envy you lol. Not to rain on your parade but you've got one more hole to put in that floor, your A/C drain. O.K. that's just a small job project that can be done afterwards.

I'd try to figure out a way of testing your filler tube at the pump before you make it permanent. I had a 78 F350 with a flat bed that would make me cuss, couldn't hold the lever much past 1/4 or the gas would start backing up the tube... turns out gas hates fairly flat filler tubes.

Know it's been a while for me here - been a bit busy with things lately . . . but I'm trying to "make time" to work on the car every night so that SOMEDAY I might actually be able to drive this car . . .

Got a bunch of stuff done on the under side of the car - working on adding the bed liner to the bottom of the car . . .

Passenger side wheel well . . .

sm_bedliner01.jpg

Behind the passenger side wheel well . . .

sm_bedliner02.jpg

The rear trunk area of the car . . .

sm_bedliner03.jpg

Better view of round one areas done . . .

sm_bedliner05.jpg

The fumes from this stuff are strong - even through my respirator . . . WOW . . .

sm_bedliner04.jpg

Be back out there again tomorrow - thinking of painting over it, while it's still possible to allow me to get paint on areas that I'm not covering with bed liner . . . and make the whole bottom the same color that will match the rear end and front K-member powdercoat color . . .

Know it's been a while for me here - been a bit busy with things lately . . . but I'm trying to "make time" to work on the car every night so that SOMEDAY I might actually be able to drive this car . . .

Got a bunch of stuff done on the under side of the car - working on adding the bed liner to the bottom of the car . . .

Passenger side wheel well . . .

View attachment 746821

Behind the passenger side wheel well . . .

View attachment 746822

The rear trunk area of the car . . .

View attachment 746823

Better view of round one areas done . . .

View attachment 746825

The fumes from this stuff are strong - even through my respirator . . . WOW . . .

View attachment 746824

Be back out there again tomorrow - thinking of painting over it, while it's still possible to allow me to get paint on areas that I'm not covering with bed liner . . . and make the whole bottom the same color that will match the rear end and front K-member powdercoat color . . .
Larry,

Great to see you back at it......Looking good......Those are some nasty fumes indeed....

Justin

Looking awesome!
Have to agree with the idea of painting over the coating, I did it on the Fury and love the results.

Keep up the good work my friend.

I'd try to figure out a way of testing your filler tube at the pump before you make it permanent. I had a 78 F350 with a flat bed that would make me cuss, couldn't hold the lever much past 1/4 or the gas would start backing up the tube... turns out gas hates fairly flat filler tubes.
I had issues with modern fuel delivery pressures at the pump, and the filler entering the tank half way up the tank on my A100. Too much pressure meant a lot of blow-back when filling. So the new custom tank drops fuel in from the top. Having a good breather tube helps also. It started getting tiresome filling the tank from plastic 5-gallon bottles. :eek:

Keep up the great work Larry....good to see more progress. And I too like the idea of the bed-liner underneath...should be good and hardy. :thumbsup:

More bed liner was applied last night, and then I needed to get the paint on this stuff before 48 hours when it's fully cured . . . so it was off to the shop for some painting tonight . . .

and this is what happened . . . on the left is the paint - and the right is the bed liner color . . .

sm_bedliner06.jpg

and here's what it's looking like now . . . gotta say . . . I'm really happy with the way it turned out ! ! !

sm_bedliner07.jpg

Spent part of the day in the shop working on the bed liner on the bottom of the '67

sm_bedliner08.jpg

Now if I can just figure out my E-brake . . . ( that's the area not covered yet as I think I'll need to weld some stuff in there . . . )

Got the paint shot over the bed liner already today . . . sure like to see progress . .

sm_bedliner09.jpg

Thinking of also doing the bottom of the rockers to prevent rock chips in the paint . . .

Looking good Larry. Should be good and durable.

Lots of good progress Larry. I used undercoating when I did mine. Its a 3M product called Dyna-pro. The brand label is Dynatron, but its made by 3M. Really good stuff and not horribly expensive on Amazon. Also paint-able. I've used this on my truck, wife's van, and on the Coronet.

Busy week for me . . all kinds of stuff getting done . . . ( some of it actually on my car too )

Neighbor was planning a ride, over the weekend, and need a way to tie down his seat bags to his Harley V-ride . . .
So I made him these brackets to bolt on to his V-ride . . . he tell everyone how he gets his "custom" stuff . . . "my neighbor" . . .

sm-amisc01.jpg

Had a tree dying - and it had to come out . . . so I dig at the roots . . .

sm-amisc09.jpg

Attach chains and straps to get out of the way . . .

sm-amisc05.jpg

to my 98 Chevy Silverado with 340,000 miles . . .

sm-amisc04.jpg

and let physics do the job . . .
( the height and weight of the tree help to pull it out of the ground no stump to contend with . . . )

sm-amisc10.jpg

No stump to worry about . . . this way . . .

sm-amisc11.jpg

Then spent Saturday up vising my daughter, who is expecting my first grandchild ( a girl ) and helped her paint and do some work in the nursery . . .
On the drive house, not even 5 minutes from her house I saw this . . . great rainbow . ..

sm-amisc06.jpg

Got the bed liner in the trunk of the 67 in the morning . . .

sm-amisc07.jpg

Did some cutting up of the tree . . .

sm-amisc12.jpg

and got the bed-liner in the trunk painted too . . .

sm-amisc13.jpg

Had about 5 other things that got done too . . .

GOOD THING I go back to work on Monday - I need a break from this weekend ! ! !
I'm wore out ( especially from that darn tree )

Wow! Did you sleep?!?

You have the same problem I do sometimes - always working on other people's stuff!

Anyway, nice progress on the car!

I feel ya. I built a 18' bridge over the creek, a 6'x8' deck and step off the back door, and a staircase down the hill to the lower pasture for my wife. Sore as hell and tired too!

Auto Transport Service
Back