• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1967 Belvedere Convertible Plans and Restoration (aka - Mad Scientist Build)

Got the bolts at Aircraft Spruce . . . https://www.aircraftspruce.com/

I can look up the bolts that I ordered to replace the ones that I did not like - if you like . . . let me know.

That would be awesome if you can do that. It has been a week that I am looking on the internet and calling shops here in France and still find nothing, it is frustrating lol.
So yes it would be really kind and appreciated if you do that :)

Thanks for your help

That would be awesome if you can do that. It has been a week that I am looking on the internet and calling shops here in France and still find nothing, it is frustrating lol.
So yes it would be really kind and appreciated if you do that :)

Thanks for your help

Here are 6 of the new bolts that I bought - got a few other from another provider and have not found the part numbers yet . . .

AN8-37A BOLT UNDRILLED - 2
AN8-24A BOLT UNDRILLED - 2
AN8-25A BOLT UNDRILLED - 2

Will have to go back and refresh my memory on which ones went where . . .

Here are 6 of the new bolts that I bought - got a few other from another provider and have not found the part numbers yet . . .

AN8-37A BOLT UNDRILLED - 2
AN8-24A BOLT UNDRILLED - 2
AN8-25A BOLT UNDRILLED - 2

Will have to go back and refresh my memory on which ones went where . . .

Alright perfect thanks for your help! Now I know where to look at and how to look at. Those are the 1/2 shank diameter so I guess this for the coil overs, and probably two of them the longer ones, are for the the ball joint connecting to the tie rod ends of the rack and pinion. But surprisingly those bolts for the tie rod ends on my delivery from magnum are fine. The grip length goes all the way through even for the washer so this is perfect don't have to change those two.

However I will change the four bolts that goes for the LCA and the 4 bolts that goes for the coil overs.

I found where to buy the 4 ones for the LCA and I will buy the 4 else for the coil overs with what you gave.

So thanks again for your help :thumbsup:

Those bolts are expensive but I think it is worth it to have a proper assembled front end.

Look what followed me home the other day . . .

Picked up a new "toy" for the shop . . .

Good news it's the 2J head to boot ! ! !

Got it on the trailer . . .

20200105_121306-jpg.jpg

And then got it strapped down securely . . . needs to get home safely . . .

20200105_132612-jpg.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhh . . . what a great site ! ! ! Love it ! ! !

20200105_133623-jpg.jpg

Mine was delivered AND put into place for no charge. Had to turn the Head horizontal to get it through the overhead door. It was close squeeze. Used to run a Bridgeport Series II w/4J head at work quite often and liked the all axis power feed on it. It was a nice machine. I have a 10x50 Lagun....

Awesome, love the Bridgeport's! Hope to see some cool parts being milled out soon.

When the truck breaks down . . .

Interesting that usually you use the truck to run and get the parts that you need for the classic vehicles . . . but what happens when the truck breaks down ? ? ?

Walked to the truck the other morning and was "greeted" by the following . . .
( since the transmission was just rebuilt a couple years ago, I was not too happy - turns out the transfer case was leaking instead . . . transmission is GOOD ! )

sm_leaking.jpg

You have to use the classic vehicle to pick up the parts for the truck ! ! !

sm_partsrun.jpg

Will be tearing down the leaking 241 transfer case, but have found that it's a pretty common occurrence for a loose chain in the transfer case to wear through the casing - and that just might be what happened in this instance, so I'll look at rebuilding it and then I can swap them out (again) or hold onto it and have a spare for the next time it starts leaking . . .

BTW - my truck now has 350,000 miles on it . . . so the transfer case did a awesome job for me for 20+ years ! ! !

When the truck breaks down . . .

BTW - my truck now has 350,000 miles on it . . . so the transfer case did a awesome job for me for 20+ years ! ! !

350,000 miles is impressive! I hope my new Ram lasts that long! (With this corona virus and work from home, I still only have 200 some miles on it... :rolleyes: )

350,000 miles is impressive! I hope my new Ram lasts that long! (With this corona virus and work from home, I still only have 200 some miles on it... :rolleyes: )

Waiting for things to get back to normal and looking forward to getting back on track on this project . . . very anxious ! ! !

Trying to get back at this project . . . and forget about life getting in the way . . .

So I grabbed a not so visible project, to work on and see how the results turned out, before I work on something that is more visible . . .

The candidate - the trunk lid ( inside the trunk ) . . .

sm_trunkmods01.jpg

First the layout work . . . where do the holes need to go . . .

sm_trunkmods02.jpg

Next, this is the stackup of the Greenlee tool to cut out the holes in the metal

sm_trunkmods03.jpg

This is the result of the hole cutout . . . really clean . . .

sm_trunkmods04.jpg

Add a bunch more . . . then dimple die the hole for added strength ( and coolness )

sm_trunkmods05.jpg

The end result . . . kinda . . . you'll see a few more in the next pics . . . and I'm thinking of adding a few more . . .

sm_trunkmods06.jpg

This allows you to see the holes on the inside part of the trunk cross member

sm_trunkmods07.jpg

Next . . time to take this all to bare metal for epoxy priming . . .

sm_trunkmods08.jpg

An somehow . . . I managed to get this really cool picture . . .
( going to add it to the random picture thread )

sm_trunkmods09.jpg

Still thinking of adding just a few more . . . next project will be the hood underside . . .

This is just to lighten the trunk lid?

This is just to lighten the trunk lid?

It does, a very little . . . It's really to make it different and make it look cool . . . And for me to figure out what I want to do with my hood with the same process . . .

The best way to lighten that lead weight would be to just remove it completely ! It weighs a ton !

So . . . I started doing a little more tinkering with the trunk lid inside . . .

Added a few more holes to the supports . . .

sm_trunkmods11.jpg

And . . . add a few more . . . and here's the process . . .

sm_trunkmods12.jpg

And this is the dimple forming tool . . .

sm_trunkmods13.jpg

And a few more holes . . .

sm_trunkmods14.jpg

And I'm saving all the punch outs to find out the weight . . .

sm_trunkmods16.jpg

Still tinkering . . .

Finally got around to working on this thing again . . . and got it into primer on Sunday . . .

Really happy with how it turned out . . .

sm_trunklid33.jpg

Another view . . .

sm_trunklid34.jpg

Then yesterday I got it back out and shot it with some paint . . .

sm_trunklid35.jpg

Next . . . will be the hood with a similar treatment ( I hope ) . . . .

Really doing nice work!
As an old sprinkler guy, I see all those holes in metal and I have flashbacks to my days
up in a lift wielding a Whitney punch.
Poking holes for rods in thousands of z-bars in metal buildings, wrists aching...a lot of work. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back