• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1967 Belvedere Convertible Plans and Restoration (aka - Mad Scientist Build)

Thumbs up to you buddy, a man of integrity and fine example! Very cool for sure!!! :)

MoparFest in Canada . . . One incredible trip ! !

The trip to Canada to meet up with Goon . . . is a Trip that I will not forget for a long time ! ! Goon was an incredible host, has become an incredible friend ( yeah - twin turbo's in the convertible ! ! ) and all that made for one heck of a weekend ! !

While riding with Goon in his road Runner - I saw this site in the rear-view mirror - If that is not MENACING ! ! !

View attachment 272531

Of course this picture needs to be shown of Goon's Road Runner from the back
( the ONLY time it's sitting still is at a RED LIGHT - Trust me, I know ! )

View attachment 272530

I feel lucky that 747 allowed me to tag along and make the trip up with him and his daughter . . . the trip was fantastic - Count your blessings, and enjoy all the time you can with her before she grows up ( that happens TOO DARN FAST . . . )

Thanks For the great time this weekend Goon - You and your girlfriend are welcome down here in NC anytime - Looking forward to it !

Any time Kahn! You're always welcome here.

I think the win this weekend for you was all that valuable information from the vendor regarding your 5.7!

Another update from the Canada trip . . .

After the fantastic time that we had up in Canada, with Goon as our wonderful host, the return trip included a stop at . . .

Where else but Summit Racing in Akron Ohio ! ! ! ( proof - tail of 747Mopar's car and the Summit sign )

sm_summittripcanada01.jpg

Fast forward to Friday evening, I return home from work and find a package outside my garage door . . .

sm_summittripcanada02.jpg

And my Hood Hinges have arrived . . .

sm_summittripcanada03.jpg

Sure hope that the fitment goes better than my initial attempt . . .

they claim that they will fit ? ? ? ( got my finger's crossed )

After the fantastic time that we had up in Canada, with Goon as our wonderful host, the return trip included a stop at . . .

Where else but Summit Racing in Akron Ohio ! ! ! ( proof - tail of 747Mopar's car and the Summit sign )

View attachment 273157

Fast forward to Friday evening, I return home from work and find a package outside my garage door . . .

View attachment 273158

And my Hood Hinges have arrived . . .

View attachment 273159

Sure hope that the fitment goes better than my initial attempt . . .

they claim that they will fit ? ? ? ( got my finger's crossed )

those wont fit kahn, so ship those bad boys over here in illinois...lol...did goon show you how his 522 fer racin motor run. glad you guys had a blast.

Sounds like that was a great trip! Definitely got me envious.

Well just imagine having the best possible host you could have then mix the fact that he has a badass Mopar (orange one at that!!!) into the mix along with some great food, lots of Mopars and some real fun cruising (100+mph and burnouts) and yes it was quite fun haha.

Well just imagine having the best possible host you could have then mix the fact that he has a badass Mopar (orange one at that!!!) into the mix along with some great food, lots of Mopars and some real fun cruising (100+mph and burnouts) and yes it was quite fun haha.

Way to rub it in! HAHA sounds like an absolute blast. One day I'll make it down there for that sort of debauchery

Side tracked - house stuff . . .

Had a neighbor digging out his basement and had some extra dirt . . . and I had a bit of a hollow that collected water when it rained . . . so when they asked if I needed some dirt, I took the opportunity to fill in this hollow . . .

Supplied them with a case of adult beverages . . . and a case a water . . .

After a day of "attempting" to move all that dirt by hand and wearing myself out . . .

sm_fillgulley01.jpg

I borrowed their bobcat to get it moved around and close . . .

sm_fillgulley02.jpg

Now I can do the fine tuning and get some grass seed down on this area . . . should work out just fine . . .

sm_fillgulley03.jpg

I know . . . I know . . .

You're supposed to be starting body work in the car not the yard!! Hahaha

I know . . . I know . . . but you know you HAVE to keep up the house too . . . I did get out and re-test-fitted the hood hinges . . . They FIT ! !

And I'm really happy with the way that they're going to look . . .

In the closed configuration . . .

sm_hoodHingesfitment01.jpg

In the open configuration . . .

sm_hoodHingesfitment02.jpg

And I moved the forward struts out far enough so that there is PLENTY of room for the to open freely . . . Whooohoooo ! ! ! !

Question about those hood hinges.... How much resistance is on them? Some fiberglass hoods will work with a "light duty" spring.... curious if these would be an option

Getting some work done . . . .

Finally made it out to the shop today, got the old shock support out of the car so I can weld in a new ( stronger ) support.

SHOCKS

Since I've narrowed my rear end 3" on each side, I'm going to have to move the bolt holes for the shocks inboard by 3" on each side . . . so while I'm in the process of doing that I figured I might as well get this thing reinforced a little better for supporting the shocks ( I can't believe that the shocks are supported on 16 gauge steel - the support is really flimsy )

MAGNUM FORCE FRONT SUSPENSION

Also spent some time trying to figure out the Magnum Force Front clip ( might get it mounted in the car tomorrow ) and the motor mounts . . . only to find out that I may have stumbled on yet another difference in the engine blocks that come out of the Magnum Station Wagon car vs the Truck version of the 5.7 Hemi . . . I will need to get on the phone with Magnum Force on Monday to see if my detective work is correct and see if they can help me get what I need to get the engine mounted in the front suspension . . .

I think I know what it needs . . .

Question about those hood hinges.... How much resistance is on them? Some fiberglass hoods will work with a "light duty" spring.... curious if these would be an option

When you order the hinges you specify if you're using

a carbon fiber hood
a fiberglass hood
aftermarket steel
a stock steel hood

You can call them - they probably adjust the piston to the weight of the hood that you're using.

I'd hope that they got that figured out so these "might" be an option for you too . . . they sure are PURDY ! ! ! !

That's awesome that your fitting it up, things get more exciting when parts start getting bolted on and you start seeing what the final product will look like. Can't wait to see the motor nesseled in place.

shock support progress . . .

Got some pictures and some more progress on the shock support replacement - I'll be replacing the flimsy original support with square tubing.

The old support has been removed ( anybody need this part ? )

sm_replaceshocksupport01.jpg

The underside of the car with the support removed . . .

sm_replaceshocksupport02.jpg

The fitment process for the replacement support . . . passenger side

sm_replaceshocksupport03.jpg

And the driver side . . . get this piece fitted up in there first - then work on the hangers . . .

sm_replaceshocksupport04.jpg

Evening session - got the fitment

Got a chance to work on the fitment and I've got the part clecoed in place . . . now for the hangers

sm_replaceshocksupport05.jpg

Now to get to work on the hangers . . .

- - - Updated - - -

That's awesome that your fitting it up, things get more exciting when parts start getting bolted on and you start seeing what the final product will look like. Can't wait to see the motor nesseled in place.

Thanks 747Mopar . . . yes, I'm getting excited to see an engine in this car for the first time since I've owed it ! ! !

Think I know what needs to be done for the motor mounts, I'll be in touch with MagnumForce tomorrow morning to explain to them my ideas . . .

Last edited:
Engine Mounts . . . the good, the bad, and the ugly . . .

First of all a BIG thanks to Jen at Magnum Force Racing . . . I think I've got this all figured out

( helps if you put the correct bracket on the right side of the engine ! DUH ! ! ! ) Remember - I've never done this before . . .

So the brackets for the engine look like this . . .

sm_enginemounts01.jpg

From the back side you can see that the smaller bracket ( on the bottom ) has (3) holes in it . . .

sm_enginemounts02.jpg

SO I snap this picture of the side of the block and show Jen that I need (4) mounting holes like the passenger side . . .
The (2) with bolts in it and the two above it . . . makes sense - right ? ? ?

sm_enginemounts03.jpg

Then I notice the A/C compressor mounted right in front of it . . . and . . . I take a close look . . .

sm_enginemounts04.jpg

When you remove the A/C compressor from the block - GUESS WHAT . . . you have (3) mounting holes for the bracket ! ! !

sm_enginemounts05.jpg

Now, I'll have to go back and find out if I'll be able to mill some of the A/C bracket and make it fit ( probably NOT )

But this means I can get the engine mounted and in my car now ( although I'd feel better if it have (4) mounting holes used instead of (3) )

Can you just add spacers to the other A/C mounts and mount it on top of your motor mount?

Auto Transport Service
Back