• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1967 Belvedere Convertible Plans and Restoration (aka - Mad Scientist Build)

Looks like some good progress already. Cant wait to see all of that in there like its meant to be there.

Maybe the 4 electronic devices ( sensors ) were heat sensors for the seats Khan, i agree with the OLD cars, more metal, and look like a real automobile, My DD is a KIA, but i do love the heated seats.. Of course in these old cars we don't drive them in the winter, of course for us older guys some heat on the back on a cool night can be a good thing! :)

I'm through with American Powertrain and all the run-around they're giving me . . .

I've sent an E-mail to my salesman at American Powertrain informing him that I and requesting a full refund for the White Lightning shifter that I never received, a full refund for the driveshaft that I've never ordered but was included in my original invoice - and I will no longer do any more business with them ever again.

If the refund check is not in my hands shortly, I will take the original invoice showing the White Lightning shifter clearly documented, and show then the shifter that was sent to me in exchange - that's called bait and switch and it's highly illegal - since it's across state lines I guess it falls under Federal laws. I've given up on "any" promise that a Wilwood master cylinder will ever be shipped even though I've got TXT messages stated it would be sent out Monday ( 2 months ago ).

I'm tired of the run around - the lies - the delay upon delay upon excuse . . . I'll find a company that wants my business.

I will no longer deal with American Powertrain - I've had enough ( 17 months and they still have not resolved their errors )

--Khan-vertible

I can't stand companies like that, I think once I'm ready to order all of my parts for the Viper tranny swap I'll call them and explain what I'm needing and end it with "but because of your terrible dealings with Larry I think I'll go elsewhere, take care"! Companies like that need to go under.

Last edited:
I've sent an E-mail to my salesman at American Powertrain informing him that I and requesting a full refund for the White Lightning shifter that I never received, a full refund for the driveshaft that I've never ordered but was included in my original invoice - and I will no longer do any more business with them ever again.

If the refund check is not in my hands shortly, I will take the original invoice showing the White Lightning shifter clearly documented, and show then the shifter that was sent to me in exchange - that's called bait and switch and it's highly illegal - since it's across state lines I guess it falls under Federal laws. I've given up on "any" promise that a Wilwood master cylinder will ever be shipped even though I've got TXT messages stated it would be sent out Monday ( 2 months ago ).

I'm tired of the run around - the lies - the delay upon delay upon excuse . . . I'll find a company that wants my business.

I will no longer deal with American Powertrain - I've had enough ( 17 months and they still have not resolved their errors )

--Khan-vertible

Khan, im usually pretty easy to deal with and put up with delays and worse "LIE'S" which is something that ticks me off more then anything! From the start ive put up with what most would not, I think you have given them all the time and patience one man can have, lay it on them!!! Sounds like they like the "lie to them" attitude.. Get some satisfaction and i do hope you do, These company's think were just a bunch of grease monkeys that don't know what were doing, get on them bud!

Just disgusting to hear.......Sorry for your woes with the clown's over at American Powertrain. Dealing with bad vendor's really is the worst part of restoring cars, hands down. Hope you get it all sorted out.

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas to one and all my forum friends here on FBBO

Hope that everyone has a great, and safe Christmas holiday season . . .

Best wishes one and all . . .

--Khan-vertible

wow that interior setup will be awesome. on my six speed setup khan i found the short throw shifter on ebay and is a direct bolt on in place of the rear top plate on the trans. then i found a 2013 modern pistol grip out of a challenger. it was brand new for $75 bucks and the shifter was $120. they way your welding now you can just do about anything. i looked at a new viper the other day and i think those rear tires were like 345 or 355. i was like oh baby i know someone that can stuff those in the khan-vert. lol

Attachments

• IMG_20140603_201202_123.jpg
    IMG_20140603_201202_123.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 238
Dissection continues . . .

the work to get the needed metal from the rear section of the 2013 Challenger continues . . . and it's making good progress . .

sm_my2013partscar08.jpg

I thought this would be a quick and easy process to get the metal separated that I needed for the rear seats . . . WRONG . . . but it is an interesting process and I get to see how the new cars are put together . . .

Then the re-installation in the '67 Belvedere will begin . . . and a whole lot more fun to boot !

Last edited:
Super Cool what you're doing here Kahn and only one of the things that's taking your Belvedere to the Next Level!! Finished result is not only going to be functional and comfortable but it's going to look amazing!! Keep on your Grind you're doing a Hell of a Job!

This is one project I can't get enough of!

Rough cutting is completed . . .

The rough cutting of the seat metal is complete . . . after (3) days of working on it, my neighbor came over and asked "What are you doing ?" . . . so I explained it to him, and he said you're taking a long time - he lent me his sawz-all . . . and that kinda helped . . . then he said you need to use my plasma cutter . . . Well, I don't have one but I'v used one in the past . . . in less than an hour, the rest of the rough cutting was completed and it's ready to go into the car for the fine tuning . . .

So the lessons learned from this . . .
1 - a sawz-all can be a great help
2 - a plasma cutter is THE BOMB ! ! !

It made easy work on the most difficult part of the rough cleanup process . . . once again, my neighbor comes through ! ! ! He's probably forgotten more about cars then I'll ever know . . . except for one thing . . . I don't think he's forgotten anything ! ! He's amazing ! !

I got a picture, but it was late, and dark . . . and the pic didn't turn out very well . . .

and now I've got to figure out how to get the thing into my car ? ! ? ! ? ! ? . . . and I still have some fine tuning to do on it too . . . OH BOY ! ! !

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe the 4 electronic devices ( sensors ) were heat sensors for the seats Khan, i agree with the OLD cars, more metal, and look like a real automobile, My DD is a KIA, but i do love the heated seats.. Of course in these old cars we don't drive them in the winter, of course for us older guys some heat on the back on a cool night can be a good thing! :)

Finally got a chance to look up the sensors Ron . . . they are impact sensors for the air bags . . . there were (4) of them in the rear seat area alone ! ! !

Merry Christmas to one and all my forum friends here on FBBO

Hope that everyone has a great, and safe Christmas holiday season . . .

Best wishes one and all . . .

--Khan-vertible

Belated Merry Christmas Khan and the rest of you guys following along

Sorry it didn't work out with ahem American Powertrain but love what you are doing :)

"Finally got a chance to look up the sensors Ron . . . they are impact sensors for the air bags . . . there were (4) of them in the rear seat area alone ! ! !"

Amazing, The newer cars always seem to fool me, and im glad were here (B-body restoration), the new cars have there place and we need them but the older cars were building, playing in are much simpliar, but we have the looks, if nothing to fancy compared to the new one's we do have the looks... and much more. Im glad you got it figured out... I wonder what the older guys like you and i will be working on in 20 plus years from now, There may be a thread at that time to find out what the sensors are for! scary or good thing, i hope its the same year cars were doing, just not one of ours, there good for more then 20 years... And that is a fact. i wont have it any other way rofl..... :) I really do wonder a lot what the next 4 decades will bring when it comes to car restoration and what they will be... Most likely i wont be here so i hope our cars are thought of like we think today and will be taken care of, and more... driven not stuck in some building to show what the old timers had, that's us, and i cant speak for you but, driven and fun to be had is the way to go, if they break, put it in the shop and do-er again!

Let the "fun" begin . . . now it's time to try and make it fit . . .

Got the rear seat section moved into the car, and tried to get it into position . . .

sm_my2013partscar09.jpg

Now the fun begins . . .how do I make this fit seamlessly . . . and look like it was part of my car . . .

FUN, FUN, FUN . . .

Hi, I hope everyone had a safe and Happy Holiday!

I had quite the post typed up, but thanks to modern technology, it has gone to the land of the missing socks! I can't type to save my butt, so I will shorten this one up a bit and hope for the best.

A big THANK YOU to Kahn for this thread, I have a '67 Belvedere HT that I am wanting to get started on, and this thread is an inspiration and valuable resource to me. Not a lot to be found on these cars, it seems. I had planned many of the same modifications for mine, and actually having it put in pictures is great! This is much better seeing what you can do with ambition, instead of watching the guys on the idiot box throw money at a car to see what sticks.

If there is any way I could help out with your project, I would be happy to do so. I got mine in pieces too, but I did manage to get pics of what was there before I removed the rest of the interior and such. As I said, this will be a valuable resource, gotta figure out how that truckload of parts goes back together!

Thanks again, and keep up the good work!

Kevin

More progress . . . the seats are coming together nicely ! ! !

After 3 hours of gentle "massaging" of the seat metal frame ( yeah - BFH ! ) the frame has been somewhat fitted into the back seat area and the seats will look like this . . .

sm_my2013partscar10.jpg

The fine tuning is not done . . . there is still more adjustments that will meed to be done . . . but I like what' I'm seeing so far ! ! !

Now to continue the "adjustments" to the seat frame . . . ( smile ) . . .

Those seat look badass in there, me likey! Don't forget to get the fronts in and check your rear view mirror, the high Chrysler 300 rears in mine totally blocked the rear view mirror to where I had to lower the middle. Very nice addition

My absolute favorite part about this (on top of how awesome those seats are going to look in their finished) Is the amount of work you were willing to take on just on a whim when the idea hit you to piece together the Challenger floor into your car. I get this when most people have it set out as their plan but I love how you just went to a wrecker and came back with half a car, an idea and the fortitude to just go at it!

Huge inspiration man!

My absolute favorite part about this (on top of how awesome those seats are going to look in their finished) Is the amount of work you were willing to take on just on a whim when the idea hit you to piece together the Challenger floor into your car. I get this when most people have it set out as their plan but I love how you just went to a wrecker and came back with half a car, an idea and the fortitude to just go at it!

Huge inspiration man!

Ok Goon . . . now I'm blushing . . . it was ONLY a 1/4 of a car at most . . . ( grin ) . . .

The wrestling with the fabrication continues . . . it's been interesting, to say the least . . .

Ok Goon . . . now I'm blushing . . . it was ONLY a 1/4 of a car at most . . . ( grin ) . . .

The wrestling with the fabrication continues . . . it's been interesting, to say the least . . .

Must be this time of year... makes me all sentimental and gushy! Lmao!!

Auto Transport Service
Back