• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1967 Belvedere Convertible Plans and Restoration (aka - Mad Scientist Build)

Los of things going on with the Belvedere as I continue to make progress on the build . . . and this was one of the things that really bugged me - the drain trough around the convertible top has two pieces of metal that would be prone to rust . . . so I went around the entire thing and welded the two pieced together . . . this should help ( with epoxy primer too . . . )

sm_bodywork05.jpg

Next . . . my neighbor has a rotisserie, so I'm borrowing it for a short time to allow me to work on the bottom of the var and not have all that stuff falling in my face . . . here I towed it over to my house and I'm just getting started attaching it . . .

sm_bodywork06.jpg

The process of attaching it - front attached - rear still to be done . . .

sm_bodywork07.jpg

Whooohooo . . . got it on the rotisserie and ready to get some work done . . .

sm_bodywork08.jpg

Wow . . . look at those tubs for my wheels ! ! ! I like ! ! !

sm_bodywork09.jpg

This is kinda like a birds-eye-view of the Belvedere . . .

sm_bodywork10.jpg

My hope ( my plan ) is to get a bunch of welding, and grinding done on the bottom of the car so that I can get the epoxy primer on the bottom of the car while it's easier to work on . . . boy is this nice ( wish I had one of these and that it fit in my shop too )

Those wheel tubs are awesome! Going to have to stick some big meats up in there for sure! Good luck today hope you get it sorted and into primer!

those wheel tubs are UGE, so big the h fell off. lmao. that is gonna look badass with those tires stuffed in there, just killer.

Your going to love that rottiserie, almost like cheating haha. I'm envious of those tubs but I won't be envious of the tire $$$$$

Your going to love that rottiserie, almost like cheating haha. I'm envious of those tubs but I won't be envious of the tire $$$$$
I think that IS cheating....totally would have done more work on the undercarriage if I had one of those!

I like what I see though man, its looking awesome

More progress . . .

So my "weekend" job to get the bottom of the car in primer turned into more than a weekend job . . . played hooky form work today to finish up the project . . .

Here's what I've got now . . .

sm_bodywork11.jpg

Now the good . . . the bad . . . and the ugly . . .

The Good - WOW, this thing is the BOMB, and does it make your work easy ! ! ! Yes, it would be on my list to get one of these to help with the body work . . . boy is it nice ! !

The Bad . . . having the car up on end like this, in the great daylight, sure does point out all
the flaws that I've got in my car . . . No, I'm not going to point them out, but there are a LOT of them.

Seeing all of the flaws on the bottom of my car caused me to chase some of them and try to improve them ( some of them would have been a long time to repair ) so, that's the reason that my weekend expanded into the weekend plus Monday . . .

The Ugly . . . Now I know about all of these "bad things" under my car that I really would like to fix, and know that if I had the car on the rotisserie for longer, that I could have got them done ( but it doesn't fit in my shop - and how many days can I go leaving it outside and not see rain ? ? )

ARGH . . . double edged sword, I'd like to fix more things, but I just ran out of time . . .

Well . . . life kinda got in the way again, and I had some things that needed to get attended to - thus the lack of posting on my build . . . had little things going on, but not enough to post . . .

Had a neighbor lady that had a mower that wouldn't work - been cutting her grass - finally grabbed the mower - my next door neighbor assisted with the electrical debugging, and once we got that done, and added some gas, the mower fired right up . . . step one completed.

Now that I know the mower will run, time to dig into the mechanical . . . it's a 40" Murray riding mower, and one of the spindles was seized up, and the other spun - but on inspection, there was no bearing on the bottom of the shaft . . . deck was in good shape other than that. 3 flat tires that were dry rotted . . . Got 4 new tires, new battery, and found this deck on CraigsList for $25 . . . SCORE . . .

sm_mowerdeck01.jpg

This turned out to be a 53" deck, and with a little bit of coercing . . . her mower has been upgraded to a 42" deck . . . and it seems to be working great. That got delivered this week.

Now onto the Belvedere - had a little piece of the Tunnel Hump that was "missing" - so I finally got the rest of it fabricated and welded in place - so that it looks more like factory all the way to the rear seat . . . here's the results . . .

sm_finishtunnelhump01.jpg

The weather for this weekend is rain - so hopefully, I'll be getting some bodywork done on the Belvedere . . . and after seeing 666 get his rear quarter work done and get it into primer ( and it looks great ) I'm fired up to start making some progress ! ! !

Last edited:
The rain has held off for most of the day . . . so I dragged my Driver front quarter panel outside, along with me welder, angle grinder, DA sander . . . and dug into the panel. Welding up the molding holes and inspecting the quarter . . . it's in really good shape . . .

sm_driverfrontquarter01.jpg

Got a support on the inside that will need some work - it's pretty rusted - but this panel has been welded and is almost ready for primer . . . you can see some body filler at the top left of the panel . . . but now, all the holes are welded and ground flush . . .

Next - fix the rust support inside this panel and then onto the passenger side . . .

Some nice work there Dr Overkill. And what a great score to be able to borrow that rotisserie. I can tell you from experience, that they make a world of difference, and you'll appreciate not having to lie under the car to do the underbelly.
Looking great....keep it up, and you'll soon be a roller. :thumbsup:

Been a very productive weekend . . . and I'm really happy with the progress . . .

First - here's that brace that I was wondering about . . . and it doesn't look good at all . . .

sm_bodywork12.jpg

Ugh . . . I can see daylight through most of it . . . not good at all . . .

sm_bodywork13.jpg

On my passenger side quarter, this is what it "should" look like . . . Hummm . . .

sm_bodywork14.jpg

Bend some metal, mark off the bad area, cut it out . . .

sm_bodywork15.jpg

New metal sitting in place where it needs to go . . .

sm_bodywork16.jpg

Start tacking the good metal in place . . .

sm_bodywork17.jpg

The new frame looks so much better than it did before - it needed to be fixed . . .

sm_bodywork20.jpg

While I was in there, I was welding up some of the original metal that only had spot-welds . . .

sm_bodywork19.jpg

My rear braces on my two fenders - now look a little more alike . . . YAY ! ! !

sm_bodywork21.jpg

And the driver Quarter is done - all the holes welded up and ground down - except that I don't know what to do with the antenna . . . yet . . .

sm_bodywork22.jpg

And . . .I got this cabinet done, all the hardware is in place, the doors have been aligned, and it turned out pretty nice . . . Mark that one off the list . . .

sm_cabinetdone.jpg

All looks great. Fyi for an antenna I zip tied a marine antenna in under the dash. Works great and no holes...cost me $15

Nice work all around buddy. Great job stitching up the original spot welds to add a little extra reinforcement where possible. Cabinet looks awesome too!

Hey Larry,

Great catching up with you today.

So what's the outcome with the TIG, and what did it cost?

Last edited:
Nice work Kahn, nice to knock out those little things to get the motivation going again. Cabinets turned out great too along with your patch work.

Auto Transport Service
Back