• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1967 GTX project (with pics)

cruzer67

Local time
5:15 AM
Reaction score
I hadn't posted any pics of my car, and decided now was the time. I bought the car thru a friend in Missouri, in 1983. I traded the car to my friend's brother, straight up, for his 1965 Impala SS convertible. I missed the GTX so bad, that I threw some cash together, and bought it back!
65 impala.jpeg
I got both cars looking reasonably good over the years, but never had enough money or time (kids, work, etc.) to really "cherry them out". Then the fateful day came when I had to choose one over the other... I took the GTX, and my ex got the Impala.
GTX 1.jpeg
Within a few weeks of getting new paint (as shown in the photo), someone backed into the GTX and crumpled the fender, bumper, etc. and so I parked it. It turns out that the guy who painted the car, used an inferior clear coat, that started peeling badly within a few years. He also didn't repair a quarter panel properly, and rust chewed thru again. However, the GTX is on its way back to being street worthy. Brakes and other mechanical issues have been mostly addressed, and the body work and paint is freshly done.
tempImagesJ8RxI.jpg
progress!

Your decades long commitment to the GTX is impressive. I hope you continue updating your progress until you reach the finish line…

Great progress, the finish line is close. It's looking good.

Over the last few days, I've been masking, painting and polishing trim. After 55 years, she's picked up a few scratches and scars. Thankfully, the body was pretty decent, and didn't take too much to get it back in shape. I kept a momento from the previous body and paint work... No wonder the quarter panel repair rusted thru so quickly... Note the rust thru and body filler glop.

tempImage7KKKPR.jpg

I had a friend talk me into taking my car to the big (600 cars) yearly show and enter it in the "under construction" class. I didn't win, but was motivated to get more stuff done on it!

gtx car show.jpeg

gtx car show 2.jpeg

cruzer67:
Looks familiar to me !!
I have suspension, shocks and rear end still on the to-do list....
But after a year and a half of wrenching, I just want to drive it for a while and enjoy it.
My '67 is also in this Restoration and Project Forum.
My '67 GTX Project in Southern CA.

What a beauty you have there with a nice color, keep it going and post more PIC's for us.

I haven't posted for awhile, so here's some updated pics with my new wheels and bumpers installed. I haven't had time to do anything over the winter, but I have a limited slip and interior pieces to install, when I get some time. On a different note, a buddy is buying a 1969 GTX, that has a 440 auto with an air grabber setup. Was the air grabber a common or rare feature on the 1969s?

IMG_1994.jpeg

IMG_1989.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back