• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1968 Charger R/T resto thread.

Looking good. I can't believe how solid that car is - I am jealous.

Very nice, Great to have a car that solid! Good luck with it...

It is a damn shame that I have to reskin the passenger side door. I haven't seen a door so solid...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 297
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 296
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 287
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 303
This is the reason for the reskin.

- - - Updated - - -

I know it doesn't seem that bad in the picture, but it's creased through the body lines. I could use plastic, but I think the skin is the correct way to go.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 297
Ooh, ouch. Yeah I would lean towards trying to work the metal and at least see how close I could get it first, but I understand wanting to just reskin it too. Take some good pics if you can, I've never seen that process done
:popcorn:

Believe me, I tried for hours to get it straight. But the lines are just too creased. The back side body line, is higher than the front. It's just a mess.

Ah bummer, well hopefully the re-skin goes smoothly. I still can't get over how solid the rest of your car is, looking forward to seeing it come back to it's former glory :icon_thumleft:

That sucks when its so solid but its the way to fix it right! Good luck re skinning it.

X2, on the re skin show and tell. I've never had to do more than a lower skin replacement on a door so it would be interesting to see.

Let us know how the reskin goes. I debated doing it on one of my Charger doors, but ended up finding another whole door to use. I talked to a guy in the body shop who had done them before, and he said it wasn't to bad of a project. There is a special pneumatic flanging tool made just for this.

Well, I had a hell of a day today. I met a guy who has some of the most amazing b-bodies I have ever seen...... I mean EVER! I bought 2 complete doors off of him, just as solid and amazing shape as mine, but with no creases. So, for $400, I have original metal, and solid doors! Now, after I return the door skin, it will only be $100 for both doors. To protect him I won't mention his name or location, but I will show you the first thing I saw when he opened the garage. Kinda made me sick to see it being used as a storage bench, but beautiful just the same.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 273
I agree, shame but it looks NICE, Congrats on the doors!!

One more car he had. The coolest thing about this car to me, was that it has an original PID (Pittsburgh International Dragway) win sticker on the window. PID closed in 1974! Pittsburgh history, in a beautiful "Sleeping Beauty"... This car hasn't moved in 16 years. 60k on the odometer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 272
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 259
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 272
Some nice cars in that garage. Well done on finding some doors in great shape. Don't feel too bad about people using cars as storage space. When I first saw my GTX at the time of purchase, the trunk was full of heavy books and junk...weighed a ton. Rear springs had arched the opposite way, and the interior full of dead spiders.....sitting for near enough 12 years without moving out of the garage it was in. :)

Congrats on finding a set of decent doors. Original metal is so much nicer than any reproduction part. Pretty cool garage you found - hopefully you made a new friend.

I think most of us have been guilty of using our cars as a storage/work bench, myself included. I keep a blanket on my though. Good score on the other doors.

$400 for a pair of mint doors? I fel so bad for you I'll swing by and give you your money back, and I don't even have a Charger anymore! and that first pic sure makes me miss my '68 R/T.
great find! shame he doesn't enjoy those cars, but at least they are inside safe, ad not outside rotting in the Pennsylviana winters.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgWell, the motor is just about finished. Waiting for the alternator to come back from being rebuilt, the correct water pump pulley, and the new distributor cap. Run the wires, and off to the tuner it goes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 242
Auto Transport Service
Back