• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1973 charger project!

Travis_216

Local time
1:05 AM
Reaction score
I bought this charger a few months ago now. It's a 73 400 block car, auto, b5 blue car with blue interior, full vinyl top. Got rust in the common places they rust, but over all it's quite the solid car. Me and dad has been working on it a fair bit recently, got some patches put in it now, got all of the interior stripped out of it besides the dash and console, got the passengers side quarter taken off. Ordering two quarters tomorrow for it now, some truck pieces I need and that stuff. Me and my dad are doing most of the work ourselves besides paint. Got a lot of parts with the car, bumpers, 3 hoods, bunch of interior parts, bunch of odds and ends, 72 rallye doors(which I'm selling because they don't fit 73/74), extra trunk lid, a lot of new rubbers, extra k-member, 72 hide away headlights, new exhaust with it, a lot of the mouldings if not all and most are in really good shape. Trying to remember everything... There is probably lots I'm forgetting. My dad got a 73 charger se that he's had for 25 years as well. Was always my favorite car growing up, finally got one to restore myself and have it exactly the way I want. Putting it back mostly original besides color of the car and interior. Debating on converting it over to a 4 speed.

Any input and suggestions are welcome.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/690/img0836sz.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/209/img0854j.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/210/img1016wt.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/443/img0834y.jpg/

Yours is coming along nice! any idea on what color you're going to paint it? I only have a few more patches to weld in now then I just got the quarters to do and a bit of work in the truck, then it's on to the body work. Hoping to have it ready for paint by January or Febuary.

Travis i wish you luck in this, i have a 73 Satellite but i really love the body styles on these Chargers.. Please keep us updated as your making progress! I know its a lot of work, i think most of us here has been thru it or in the process of it.. I think your going to have a nice car when your done, it looks solid and there is lots of good guys here that can help if you run into problems.. Again.. Good luck. :)

Nice project they are cool cars,we are doing a 73 ourselves 440/auto my son wanted an old car and he bought this one as a basket case.I have done all the metalwork in the past year and now starting the final prep for sealer and highbuild primer.
http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/n522/lou3500/charger project/

Looks like your just about there! Looking forward to seeing this completed, i do go from time to time and check for new pictures in your link, i love the engine look, Good luck in the final stages, bet you cant wait until its finally in paint! :sunny:

Great looking project and I myself love the B5 blue with white buckets and a black or white top.

I really love the 73-74 cars wish they got more respect from parts supliers.

Can't wait to see it done and keep us posted.

And everyone else..

We need to do a mass email, tweet, youtube videos and what ever other means we have to get them on the go to get some of the body parts and more out there.

Great car I really can't wait to see it and I hope you leave it B5!

We need to do a mass email, tweet, youtube videos and what ever other means we have to get them on the go to get some of the body parts and more out there.

Great car I really can't wait to see it and I hope you leave it B5!

I couldn't agree more. We should get a bunch of people together and send emails around and whatever it takes.

I can't wait to have it finished either, it's going really well. I'm not 100% sure if I'm keeping it b5 though.

I couldn't agree more. We should get a bunch of people together and send emails around and whatever it takes.

I can't wait to have it finished either, it's going really well. I'm not 100% sure if I'm keeping it b5 though.

Yeah if we all ban together it might get something going. There are a lot of 73-74 cars out on the market that everyone would like to restore from driver level to A one show car condition.

I know Tabco has quarter panels but have not heard much about them other then they are good to work with but do not know much about them.

What ever color you go with it the Charger is going to look awesome. I'm a big fan of the B5 blue cars. It looks like your car had white buckets maybe.

Keep us posted on it.

Yeah if we all ban together it might get something going. There are a lot of 73-74 cars out on the market that everyone would like to restore from driver level to A one show car condition.

I know Tabco has quarter panels but have not heard much about them other then they are good to work with but do not know much about them.

What ever color you go with it the Charger is going to look awesome. I'm a big fan of the B5 blue cars. It looks like your car had white buckets maybe.

Keep us posted on it.

Hopefully it would get something going.

Mine had all blue interior, blue seats too lol. I'm going to put black in it this time though I believe.

Yours is coming along nice! any idea on what color you're going to paint it? I only have a few more patches to weld in now then I just got the quarters to do and a bit of work in the truck, then it's on to the body work. Hoping to have it ready for paint by January or Febuary.

Plans are Sublime green with black striping around the body just below the windows and a black hood,unless my son changes his mind again. The plan was to hopefully have it mostly finished [drivable with no interior] by april but life has gotten in the way twice in the past few months.

Plans are Sublime green with black striping around the body just below the windows and a black hood,unless my son changes his mind again. The plan was to hopefully have it mostly finished [drivable with no interior] by april but life has gotten in the way twice in the past few months.

Been there, still there.. What gets me is not one person told me about the brand new lesson that Murphy s law had out! lol... I guess it happens, usually with me and a car build it starts about the time your basically done with the car, putting the final touch's on it.. That engine will look good in the sublime thats for sure! This time next year she should be done and have a few miles on it.. You'll be looking for another project before then, i wouldn't mind at all getting another myself, if i could get one i want.. I was hoping a couple months ago to grab a 73 Charger but the money end never worked out... probably gone by now, but im always watching for one, might get lucky one day.. i do like the body styles of them..

Been there, still there.. What gets me is not one person told me about the brand new lesson that Murphy s law had out! lol... I guess it happens, usually with me and a car build it starts about the time your basically done with the car, putting the final touch's on it.. That engine will look good in the sublime thats for sure! This time next year she should be done and have a few miles on it.. You'll be looking for another project before then, i wouldn't mind at all getting another myself, if i could get one i want.. I was hoping a couple months ago to grab a 73 Charger but the money end never worked out... probably gone by now, but im always watching for one, might get lucky one day.. i do like the body styles of them..

I hear you on the life getting in the way. I wish and miss my 70 Coronet R/T I got tired of looking at it sitting there in the garage and not being able to work on it after having a stroke. I sold it to someone who would and will get it back on the road.

I also was looking at a 67 Dart GT but got word a tree fell on it last weekend and talked to the owner and it went through the house and did hit the car but not bad a few dents in the roof.

I love the 73-75 cars and on into the late 70s. The styling is and was just great on these cars.

I think Richard Petty really loved the 73 Charger and I think he has talked about them in the past with great pride.

Black buckets would look good with the B5 blue and what about a white top man I would drool over that.

Well it's been a little while since I've posted about my car.. I haven't really got much done because I was busy for awhile. Got the interior all gutted even the dash is out, taking the motor out the week and I cut the quarters off tonight. I'm ordering all the metal for it tomorrow and I cannot wait.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Auto Transport Service
Back