• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 440 Build Your thoughts

Finally got some time to bolt the 750 on. Seemed to make a positive difference in throttle response but only got out for a short drive.

I took my distributor apart today and swapped in a bushing to limit my mechanical advance to 10 degrees and fed it as much initial timing as it would take. Between that and the 750 double pumper it is working much more like I would expect. From a rolling start buried the throttle and it destroyed first and hazed the tires right through second on a hot humid day. Right now I am using two of the lightest springs and I hear some good knock if I lug it at all and go wot but other wise I’m not hearing any rattle under normal conditions. Wondering if I should play with the springs to ease up on the curve to take some of the danger zone out of it. Otherwise I sure like the extra timing.

sounds like you should back off a touch.
Also sounds like you've saved yourself a lot of effort in no longer needing a cam swap! :thumbsup:

sounds like you should back off a touch.
Also sounds like you've saved yourself a lot of effort in no longer needing a cam swap!

Agreed good call on the smaller carb. Looking forward to getting some more seat time in it.

Thought I would update. Haven’t got a lot of seat time but the miles I have put on car absolutely a positive difference. Still feel myself wanting some more bottom end torque though. Aimlessly burning tires isn’t my mission but I feel that heavy throttle at low speeds in a 440 with 3.91s traction would be more of an issue but maybe it’s just the 275s doing there job it grabs traction and pulls hard. I’m leaning towards grabbing a crower 271 and trying that or really biting the bullet and building another short block with a stroker kit and a suitable cam and seeing how well my ported big valve 906 heads will feed a stroker.

What tires? I can tell you that the difference with BF Goodrich rocks vs the Atturo az800's both 275's is huge in spin vs grip.

What tires? I can tell you that the difference with BF Goodrich rocks vs the Atturo az800's both 275's is huge in spin vs grip.
Cooper cobras. I will say I had bfg t/as years ago and they without question spun way easier.

My indecisiveness is really starting to show….
Maybe I should suck it up and just build a budget stroker. I’m thinking 440 source 512 kit, I would like to re use my 906s to keep cost down thoughts? Cam recommendations?

When you're at these super low rpms and can't get the tires to rotate, try pushing the clutch pedal in, then depressing the accelerator to the floor, and quickly release the clutch pedal.

When you're at these super low rpms and can't get the tires to rotate, try pushing the clutch pedal in, then depressing the accelerator to the floor, and quickly release the clutch pedal.
O the bee is no virgin to some clutch dumping action I have the broken ears on the block to prove it. My goal isn’t really spinning tires but I am using it as a measure of low end torque. I feel like my combo should have enough low end torque to light em up with a stab of the throttle at low speeds without having to dump the clutch.

Last edited:
O the bee is no virgin to some clutch dumping action I have the broken ears on the block to prove it. My goal isn’t really spinning tires but I am using it as a measure of low end torque. I feel like my combo should have enough low end torque to light em up with a stab of the throttle at low speeds without having to dump the clutch.
Good grief. Post #9.

If track ET’s aren’t a factor in the cam choice, and you’re looking for a responsive, very drivable street cam.......and a solid isn’t in the cards...... I’d suggest the Crower 271HDP.
Finally decided to bite the bullet and order this cam and looks like it’s on back order. Back to the drawing board.

Auto Transport Service
Back