• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 440 Build Your thoughts

Solid cam with upgraded valves springs and rocker arms would get you what your looking for.

Staying with a hydraulic you could do rhoads lifters and 1.6 rockers. You could try it with the .484. If the cam is in good shape it could go a long time:rolleyes:..or not:BangHead:

Last edited:
In my opinion. One misses a lot of the muscle car experience with an automatic. Back in the day? Automatic transmission was for the ladies that had trouble pushing a stiffer clutch pedal.
Sooo, is your middle name Ronnie Sox? Lol. I know, there really are very few of them out there. A lot of us have the drive, but are we really "daMan"? Consistency is the name of the game. And yes, I totally get where you're coming from.

No mention of what the carb is.

I think the OP’s expectations might be a tad lofty for what a std trans street combo with modest gearing is going to behave like at under 2500rpm if it’s got any kind of cam in it.

If you cam for more bottom end, you’re likely going to give up a bit of upper rpm pull.

The fast rate stuff would theoretically give you both ends of the power band, but I’ve never had one where the lifters cooperated in the upper rpms.

If looking for more on the bottom, and not give up much(or any) up top....... I’d do a small-ish solid.
The way he's talking, stiffer gears for sure. Street or strip/street? It's always the question, trade off either way right?

If it was mine, I'd try a 3310 750 holley on it, and put in a more mellow cam. Those 484 cams can be a little lazy below 3 grand. Ive ran two Hughes cams in 440s and really like them both.

Lots of good recommendations thanks everyone. I filled out a cam recommendation form through comp cams and lunati see what they come back with. Im pretty satisfied with how the car works overall now just needs a touch more low end. A set of gears would do the trick for sure but it screams pretty decent on the highway as is.

Never heard back from any of the cam vendors for recommendations. My auburn lsd became a one wheelie peelie so while I was replacing the carrier I swapped in a 3.90 gear set. Made a difference for sure but still just don’t find the car has the low end power the way it should be. Car pulls hard from a rolling start but I feel like that motor should be torquey enough with those gears that traction would be more of an issue. Maybe the 275 cooper cobras have more grip than I think.

Last edited:
Yep. Engines are a compromise. Sounds like low end is important to you, which is a smart move because you are at 3000 rpm more often than you are at 6000 rpm
- lose the 850 double trouble & install a TQ. The small primaries will improve throttle response, contact Woodruff carbs, the sponsor.
- the Perf RPM is a 1500-6500 rpm intake. The Perf is a 0-5500 rpm intake & would be more suited to your expectations.
- cam is too big. The Isky 270 Mega would be a good choice, listed as 2000-6200 rpm range. This cam has about 22* less duration @ 050 than your current cam, which just shows how big the MP cam is. Lots of duration kills the low end.
- good luck.

Yep. Engines are a compromise. Sounds like low end is important to you, which is a smart move because you are at 3000 rpm more often than you are at 6000 rpm
- lose the 850 double trouble & install a TQ. The small primaries will improve throttle response, contact Woodruff carbs, the sponsor.
- the Perf RPM is a 1500-6500 rpm intake. The Perf is a 0-5500 rpm intake & would be more suited to your expectations.
- cam is too big. The Isky 270 Mega would be a good choice, listed as 2000-6200 rpm range. This cam has about 22* less duration @ 050 than your current cam, which just shows how big the MP cam is. Lots of duration kills the low end.
- good luck.
All good suggestions thank you for your reply.

Last night I was thinking to myself about popping timing cover off and advancing cam 2-4 degrees as one last adjustment before buying any more go fast parts.

That .484 cam is not ideal for street use with ported big-valve heads. I'd say a Comp XE275HL cam, even with 1.6 rockers, would perform better at lower RPM and let the head mods work. The old Crane 302 Commander would also work good, but I think Crane is MIA again. Also, I did run a 285 Streetmaster Lunati (.507" w/1.5 rockers) in a friend's 4 speed B-body with a 6pk setup and headers and it worked great, cheap and effective. The .484 is a rough copy of the old Racer Brown automatic grind Direct Connection used to offer, so it's really old tech for bracket racing.

That .484 cam is not ideal for street use with ported big-valve heads. I'd say a Comp XE275HL cam, even with 1.6 rockers, would perform better at lower RPM and let the head mods work. The old Crane 302 Commander would also work good, but I think Crane is MIA again. Also, I did run a 285 Streetmaster Lunati (.507" w/1.5 rockers) in a friend's 4 speed B-body with a 6pk setup and headers and it worked great, cheap and effective. The .484 is a rough copy of the old Racer Brown automatic grind Direct Connection used to offer, so it's really old tech for bracket racing.
That looks like a good option. My only concern there is if I swap cams I think I would like to stay under .500 lift. I used the mopar recommended P3690933 and that is what they are rated for. Not totally opposed to swapping valve springs but feel like my goals can be met more simply but maybe I’m wrong.

Never heard back from any of the cam vendors for recommendations. My auburn lsd became a one wheelie peelie so while I was replacing the carrier I swapped in a 3.90 gear set. Made a difference for sure but still just don’t find the car has the low end power the way it should be. Car pulls hard from a rolling start but I feel like that motor should be torquey enough with those gears that traction would be more of an issue. Maybe the 275 cooper cobras have more grip than I think.

You have one of the best BB mopar cam guys replying in this thread. PRH. I run one of his spec’d solids in my roadrunner. He’s also responsible for the cam in my dads 512 Dart that was in Andy F’s 470 dyno motor.

You have one of the best BB mopar cam guys replying in this thread. PRH. I run one of his spec’d solids in my roadrunner. He’s also responsible for the cam in my dads 512 Dart that was in Andy F’s 470 dyno mot
The crower he suggested is at the top of my list. Seems to check all the boxes including being a straight swap using my existing valve springs.

That looks like a good option. My only concern there is if I swap cams I think I would like to stay under .500 lift. I used the mopar recommended P3690933 and that is what they are rated for. Not totally opposed to swapping valve springs but feel like my goals can be met more simply but maybe I’m wrong.
Those springs will work with the Lunati and Crane I listed. The Comp is a fast-acting lobe with .525" lift and may be pushing it. Although the Crane is a .504/.528", it is a slower rate of lift and I have personally run it with those exact springe with no issues. My GO-TO cam for a street 383/400B is the Comp 275DEH which would also work in your application (tons of bottom end), and is only .462/.482" lift. It also works well with exhaust manifolds and closed exhaust. On a 400 with HP exhaust manifolds and a DP4B in a Challenger with 3.23 gears and a 2400 factory 11" converter, it was a screamer on both ends, I'd say 2500-6000+ powerband. Your 440 would peak sooner, like maybe 2000-5500 band, perfect! #21-406-4 still available direct from Comp, it was pulled from the catalog to make room for Xtreme and Thumpr grinds they were trying to push. They work great! I have used the 255DEH in a 318 truck and a 265DEH in a 360, which was a beast. The Comp drop in springs (#901 SB and #911 BB) accomodate these cams, as will your Street Hemi springs.

Dwayne (prh) also had a ton of data in moparts tech archive about success and failure in OEM head porting. What do you really know about your heads?
I inherited my dad's charger with a 440 with a 484, set up like yours but I have a tko and 4.10 Dana. It has 516 heads of unknown capability. It's a pooch imo. But I live with it because a stroker is going in there eventually as well. I've thought about swapping the heads on it but each time I just leave it alone for now. It does sound good!

Those springs will work with the Lunati and Crane I listed. The Comp is a fast-acting lobe with .525" lift and may be pushing it. Although the Crane is a .504/.528", it is a slower rate of lift and I have personally run it with those exact springe with no issues. My GO-TO cam for a street 383/400B is the Comp 275DEH which would also work in your application (tons of bottom end), and is only .462/.482" lift. It also works well with exhaust manifolds and closed exhaust. On a 400 with HP exhaust manifolds and a DP4B in a Challenger with 3.23 gears and a 2400 factory 11" converter, it was a screamer on both ends, I'd say 2500-6000+ powerband. Your 440 would peak sooner, like maybe 2000-5500 band, perfect! #21-406-4 still available direct from Comp, it was pulled from the catalog to make room for Xtreme and Thumpr grinds they were trying to push. They work great! I have used the 255DEH in a 318 truck and a 265DEH in a 360, which was a beast. The Comp drop in springs (#901 SB and #911 BB) accomodate these cams, as will your Street Hemi springs.
I like the sounds of the 275deh. Sounds like would be a torque monster.

Dwayne (prh) also had a ton of data in moparts tech archive about success and failure in OEM head porting. What do you really know about your heads?
I inherited my dad's charger with a 440 with a 484, set up like yours but I have a tko and 4.10 Dana. It has 516 heads of unknown capability. It's a pooch imo. But I live with it because a stroker is going in there eventually as well. I've thought about swapping the heads on it but each time I just leave it alone for now. It does sound good!
I ported and built my heads. I consulted with a good friend of mine on the heads he has ported many sets of mopar heads with good results. I find my car works good overall like I said earlier in the thread I’m actually very happy with it just feel that there is still room for improvement. From a rolling stop wot almost feels like turbo lag I wouldn’t call it a bog it picks up and goes but at 2500 rpm she screams.

Do you think the 275deh would be to far the other way? Tons of low end and dog up top. I know cams are a balancing act and just don’t want to go to far the other way trying to decide where the sweet spot is.

I like the sounds of the 275deh. Sounds like would be a torque monster.
I really like them, for a street application that actually DRIVEN that needs to LAST. Making 10 more HP on a dyno but being noisy and/or peaky not (usually) the best choice. Some of the Crowers listed will work fine as well. In an automatic trans application I have used the 282HDP with good results, but without the bottom end grunt of the 275DEH that you'll appreciate with that 4 speed on the street.

Sounds like a 484 cam to me. Do you have a 750dp to try to see if your seat of the pants likes that better?

Auto Transport Service
Back