• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 68 Charger - A Work In Progress

Right now I'm looking at about $2300 for the rebuild + a new converter. They took the drive shaft off and have cleaned it up as well as coating it. I'm pretty sure this is the 1st rebuild as the both u-joints are stamped DETROIT, which is cool. I'm keeping both of those as souvenirs.

I've got them doing a few other things as well:
1. Fix aftermarket Tac
2. Get the factory Temp, Oil Pressure & Clock working again & replacing all instrument panel lights.
3. Spare trunk & door keys made.
4. I saw some rot under the drivers side floor pan just below the area under the high beam switch. I was under the car & saw it flaking away exposing the carpet insulation. Hopefully it's a small area that can just be patched up but my guess is a new floor pan on the drivers side.

Snap, forgot to post this pic as well, Thanks!
PK2892031K 23647333
PK = Kokomo IN
2892031 = A727 1968 for 383-4
2364 = Wednesday, January 17, 1968
7333 = 7,333rd transmission built that day

Pic's of my cars #'s
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/pictures-of-my-cars-s.135859/

View attachment 543006
2300 for a trans rebuild, new stock convertor and install...HOLY COW!

The "Detroit" U joints, do they have PN's on the other side of them?
Can you post good pics of both sides and the end face of the end caps......

When I get back to the shop I'll take some pics for you.

I think $2300 with R&R is reasonable.

Quite possible they still have the factory c ring strap retainers. My original is also stamped Detroit.

Just for curiosity, is this the same high end shop that you went to previously or a real transmission shop?

Quite possible they still have the factory c ring strap retainers. My original is also stamped Detroit.
Trying to find out if they are the big versus the small joints....7290 and 7260's had the detroit stamp on one side....all factory joints had the c clamps and strap in the rear...

Can we please focus on helping me decode the #'s rather than what I'm paying.

No offense taken, but from now on I'm not divulging what I pay. The price they gave me was an estimate, not the final price, which also included flat bedding my car back to their shop from my house. While I know they are not the cheapest, they're a good shop, trustworthy & close to me.

No offense, but you get hosed there before & you're going back again?

The casting numbers on the transmission in your pictures don't mean much. Can't help you with the block numbers on the bottom of the oil pan rail, but they have to do with the machining of the block when new.

If you are looking for the engine & transmission numbers to be matching for the body, they would be stamped in the top of the bellhousing & block flange as you see here...

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=62774.jpg

No offense taken, but from now on I'm not divulging what I pay. The price they gave me was an estimate, not the final price, which also included flat bedding my car back to their shop from my house. While I know they are not the cheapest, they're a good shop, trustworthy & close to me.

No one wants to see someone get hosed, that's all.

No worries Mark, I get it & I really do appreciate everyone's input. I was just looking to get info on all of these #'s and the conversation became all about money.

No one wants to see someone get hosed, that's all.

A lot of people like getting an idea of costs for whole builds or certain parts of a build as it may help them in their builds especially with the folks that have no experience and want to do things themselves or have to pay to have certain things done, which can help them from getting hosed. This is just all part of the car hobby.

Hey All. Hope you're all keeping warm. Just an update, transmission was installed about a month ago. Here are the pic's of the U-Joints that came out. Instrument panel is at D&M Restoration (http://dandmrestoration.com/) and I hope to have it back in a few weeks.

IMAG1948.jpg
IMAG1949.jpg
IMAG1950.jpg
IMAG1951.jpg
IMAG1953.jpg
IMAG1955.jpg
IMAG1956.jpg
IMAG1957.jpg
IMAG1958.jpg
IMAG1959.jpg

Wondering what you have been up to! Seems like you have been busy.....

Be nice to see the parts back from DM with pictures....

If you dont want those U joints I will take them from you...

Wondering what you have been up to! Seems like you have been busy.....

Be nice to see the parts back from DM with pictures....

If you dont want those U joints I will take them from you...
Was going to comment that you might be interested.

Auto Transport Service
Back