• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 69 Coronet project

From the start I've been taken by the Dupont Hot Hues Copper Sunset on a '68 Charger pictured in Hunt 2 Elk's resto thread.

Like this:

Copper Bee.jpg

That's a great color.

I saw a Corvette with that color. It was about a 2013 YOM. It really dazzled on a sunny day.

The Corvette came with Atomic Orange, and it was one of my finalist colors. But I had to put a Mopar color on the Coronet

- - - Updated - - -

Like this:

View attachment 246362

That's a great color.

Wow, that is a striking color. You always find the best photos to post.

- - - Updated - - -

I like it! Really pops in the sun!

Exactly my thought. I almost pulled the trigger on the Mandarin Metallic however the deciding factor in going with the Toxic Orange was the pearl.

Accumulating parts

Scored a brand new set of 440 Stealth heads from a FBBO member. Thanks Clarence!
IMG_2222.jpgIMG_2221.jpgIMG_2223.jpg

You're very welcome Rich, and yes I have sellers remorse... theses heads are that nice

On to final sand

primer that is. The car has been blocked out with 220#. Today I got off work a little early and started wet sanding with 500#. Got the two quarters and dutchman done before the sun got too low. Took about 2 1/2 hours - don't know if that's a long time or not. This is my first time prepping a car for paint. Mike gave me some pointers, checked out FBBO posts and Youtube and went to town. It's stressful in a way because I keep imaging I'm going to mess up somehow and after the paint is shot there will be a huge blotch that everyone will notice and point to. LOL. But at the same time it was kinda relaxing, just concentrating on the task at hand. I definitely got better on the second quarter as I was more in tune with the guide coat and able to "see" the low spots better. I'm excited to move on to the rest of the car.IMG_2235.jpgIMG_2234.jpgIMG_2233.jpg

Those quarters look like they've already been painted! Good luck with the paint and congrats on the score. Looking great Coronet

Those quarters look like they've already been painted! Good luck with the paint and congrats on the score. Looking great Coronet

Thanks 747. I think the angle I chose to shoot the picture enhanced the look.

- - - Updated - - -

lookin good.......sanding can be a workout

Sanding the lower panel can get tiring! Gotta get down on the knees to see everything.

Nice work......Without a doubt, all that elbow grease will payoff once she's sprayed. Well worth the work and hours of solitude in the driveway/garage. Getting close!

Wow your Coronet is coming along nicely and sanding is always fun lol. She'll be in paint before you know it.

Wow your Coronet is coming along nicely and sanding is always fun lol. She'll be in paint before you know it.

Thanks BB. Sanding can be fun, in a masochistic sort of way. Lol. BTW, your Coronet is coming along nicely, great job on the welds.

just make sure you don't sand through, and if you do, go back and cover it up. let the guide coat be your guide. for lack of a better term. these cars were always one of my favorites. its lookin good.

just make sure you don't sand through, and if you do, go back and cover it up. let the guide coat be your guide. for lack of a better term. these cars were always one of my favorites. its lookin good.

I have sanded through on some of the edges - around the quarter panel scallops is one area. I covered the metal with etch primer.

Finished wet sanding

Finished wet sanding the outside panels yesterday. Also knocked down the door jambs, headlight buckets, rear panel. Still have to do the engine compartment and trunk. I look back at last summer's pictures when the car came back from the blasters compared to how it looks now and I'm stoked. I'm hoping to be in paint by mid-May.
IMG_2255.jpgIMG_2260.jpgIMG_2258.jpgIMG_2256.jpgIMG_2254.jpgIMG_2252.jpgIMG_2257.jpgIMG_2259.jpgIMG_2261.jpgIMG_2253.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back