• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My charger restoration dream car

I have been collecting the parts that I need and starting to assemble them.
I got a standard 4 qt. oil pan for a 440 and decided to send it back and I ordered a deeper 7 qt. oil pan.
I had the alternator and starter rebuilt.
parts.jpg

440 rings.jpg

Great build thread! I've been lurking for a while, had to comment. And I used lilwendal's post as a guide when I rebuilt my gauge cluster and dimmer switch; the guy does nice work.

Great build thread! I've been lurking for a while, had to comment. And I used lilwendal's post as a guide when I rebuilt my gauge cluster and dimmer switch; the guy does nice work.
Thank you, I like your suggestion to change to LED lights in the cluster. I think that I am going to look into doing it.

I tore my dash apart a few years ago and put in LED and i think you would like them, AND i don't think you have to take it out to put them in, i had mine out because i was putting in white faces in the cluster panel and decided on them...

Can't believe I missed this thread. You are doing an awesome job on my favorite year Charger. Did you check with 521 Restorations for the front fenders? Wouldn't hurt to give Jeff a call to see if he has any laying around. As far as the dash pads, well that just plain sucks and sounds like something that would happen to me. I would be irate with them. How can a company charge that kind of money for inferior work? I would be raising hell with them. Did you pay them with a credit card, if so I wonder if you would have any recourse by going through them.

Can't believe I missed this thread. You are doing an awesome job on my favorite year Charger. Did you check with 521 Restorations for the front fenders? Wouldn't hurt to give Jeff a call to see if he has any laying around. As far as the dash pads, well that just plain sucks and sounds like something that would happen to me. I would be irate with them. How can a company charge that kind of money for inferior work? I would be raising hell with them. Did you pay them with a credit card, if so I wonder if you would have any recourse by going through them.
I was not aware of 521 restorations so I looked it up. I will use it as one of my resources. I have called AMD several times about my fenders. They have a stamping schedule and were going to stamp one side in November and the other in Jan. They have already stamped one fender and will send it when the other side is stamped so I just will wait for them to come.
I did pay for the dash pads with credit card and ought to look into what I can do. Thank you for your help. I always appreciate any advice.

I was not aware of 521 restorations so I looked it up. I will use it as one of my resources. I have called AMD several times about my fenders. They have a stamping schedule and were going to stamp one side in November and the other in Jan. They have already stamped one fender and will send it when the other side is stamped so I just will wait for them to come.
I did pay for the dash pads with credit card and ought to look into what I can do. Thank you for your help. I always appreciate any advice.

I couldn't agree more with Hunt bud, Jeff can get you some real decent deals! sometimes its better to have a "mediator" i guess lol, I wish now i would have known about Jeff@501restoations and of course Mark (moparmarks) here at the site, im kind of embarrassed to have spent some cash on things directly thru the company's..

I had a very enjoyable Christmas (remembering the birth of Jesus Christ and what he has done for us). I spent time with my family and visited my married children and got to hold my newest granddaughter. I also spent a few days up in the snow on a late season elk hunt. It is now time to get back to the grind (back to work).

Cleaning engine parts and prepping them for paint.
Timing cover.jpg

I have still been waiting for my front fenders. I called and checked with AMD again and the reason that they are redoing the left fender is because the marker light hole is stamped ¼” to low. The new fender will not be available now until May. I have been waiting for more than 4 months for these fenders and do not want to wait 5 more months. I guess I am impatient.
I talked with 521 Restorations (thanks to Hunt2elk for the referral information) and he can get me one of the miss stamped fenders and I will just adjust the marker light hole when it gets here.

My car, ready and waiting for the fenders.
1-7-2015.jpg

One of the cam shaft baring holes was sized wrong for the performance cam that I got and I could not make it fit. I took it back to the machine shop and they were glad to hone it to the needed size for me.
Now everything seems to be fitting perfect.
I am still learning what to do. Thanks to my friend Dale, a retired mechanic, he is showing me what to do so that I can get it put together. I also bought a rebuild instruction manual that has very good step by step instructions (by Don Taylor).
440 lifter instilation.jpg

Edlebrock Performance heads.
68 440 002.jpg

68 440 001.jpg

Last edited:
ALWAYS good to have someone to help out, especially one who knows what there doing! I could use some of this kind of help someday and id like to say soon, but with me, its goin to be a spell! Enjoy the help bud! :)

ALWAYS good to have someone to help out, especially one who knows what there doing! I could use some of this kind of help someday and id like to say soon, but with me, its goin to be a spell! Enjoy the help bud! :)

Ron, I wish you lived closer. I would always be stoping by just to see your progress on your car so that I could learn from you. I like following your progress on FBBO to see how you are addressing each step of your restoration.

Christmas arrived today.:hello2: I am a happy boy. I should have contacted Jeff at 521 Restorations months ago. Now I can get moving on the charger again.

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

That Jeff is one big help for sure bud, It really does look like a good day to get that kind of stuff to build these car's, I don't know if i would make a good neighbor or not buddy, id like ya to build a GOOD car lol, I just do what has to be done, with mine its just make sure she's solid, worrying about looks that are on the floor or other places you don't even see later, if i know its solid and protected, (real important to me) im happy and it isint like were talking about the outside of the car.. that's a different story! :)

My grille is in very poor shape. It looks like that everything beat it up.:violent1:

grill.jpg

Here ore some of the parts of my grill after I disassembled it.
68 grille 001.jpg

I bought another beat up grill and am going to try to make one good grill out of the 2.
Grille 012.jpg

I have some plastic grill repairs to do myself, thinking of looking into a plastic welder set-up.

I have some plastic grill repairs to do myself, thinking of looking into a plastic welder set-up.
I have thought about a plastic welder also. I wonder how well it would hold. I don't know much about the durability of a plastic weld.

Or super glue? My stock plastic console has one crack that I'm going to super glue then 2 part resin and chopped fiberglass patch, or plastic weld, the under side where it can't be seen..

First fill that crack with baking soda, then drip the super glue into it. You'll have a great bond.

First fill that crack with baking soda, then drip the super glue into it. You'll have a great bond.
Thanks Photon, I tried your baking soda idea to see how well it works. It is a good hard hole and crack filler. It seems to be brittle for structural support.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back