• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My charger restoration dream car

My lower dash pads were warped and hardened from the hot dry temperatures here. I contacted Just Dashes and they let me know that they will trim, smooth, and straighten any of the imperfections before recovering them so I sent my lower dash pads off to them to have them recovered. $825.00 later I got them back. They looked nice but after I installed them I found that they were still distorted and my center A/C vents will not move because the pad has shrunk over the vent corners.:sad2: I contacted Just Dashes and sent them pictures and asked if they could fix my pads. I was told that they did there job right and that if I wanted them fixed that I would need to pay for the repair and recovering. I have not had them fixed yet, I am trying to decide if I can live with it or pay to have it fixed.:eusa_wall:

View attachment 216878

I heard all good about them and this sucks, Spending that amount of money you would think there is some light at the end, I can "to a point" what they say, "we do the work, we can cover it" I really don't know how to look at it, once i spend that, and get it back, i EXPECT it to fit and work right, thats just to much to say "your on your own now" and it seems that's what there saying, There has to be something they can do, it sure doesn't make them look or sound to the rest of us to try a gamble, and to me, sending it in im expecting it to be right but IS a gamble!!!!

I bought a new upper dash pad from Ultimate Rides. I feel that it is good quality at a good price.
I have not bought the new bezels for my dash yet because I have not yet decided what I want to do for a sound system. I still have the original thumb wheel radio. I have thought about replacing it with a modern stereo or leave it for looks and have one put in the glove box. I would like a good sounding sound system but I do not need extra amps and big speakers that take up my trunk.
If any of you have examples or ideas I would like to hear them just so that I have some more options and ideas. Thank you.
IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

The rear deck behind the rear window on my car was floppy. We tried to heat shrink it but it would still tin can. We ended up filling the cavity with expanding foam and after it hardened the deck was smooth straight and solid.:)
IMG_0565.jpg

We will clean out the excess in the holes and paint it and it will never be seen.
IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

When I got my Charger it was missing the fender tag and many original parts. I have always wanted an R/T so I decided to make it look like an R/T. At this time I do not plan to ever sell it so I am going to make it what I want. Its original engine is a 383 and I want to put in a 440. I have heard many things good about the 383 and it took me some time to make my decision.
I found me a 75 Fury land barge with a 440 that I could rebuild for my charger.
75 fury 001.jpg

75 fury 002.jpg

75 fury 003.jpg

Cool deal! Make that ride the way you want it, a 440 is a good engine as the 383 is to, sometimes better depending on the year and HP but it sounds like you have a good plan, have fun and i hope you'll keep us in the loop!

Good score on the barge/yacht!

- - - Updated - - -

The rear deck behind the rear window on my car was floppy. We tried to heat shrink it but it would still tin can. We ended up filling the cavity with expanding foam and after it hardened the deck was smooth straight and solid.:)
We will clean out the excess in the holes and paint it and it will never be seen.
Glad you did that, Ive been wanting to do the foam in that cavity myself but sceered it would screw up somehow. I'll do it now,
BIG THNX for the pics.. Supurb work going on here.

COOL, I didn't know Mr. Cranium took up modeling!!! The Bee wins :)

I removed the 440 and took it over to a friends garage (Dale Kelso, retired mechanic). Because I do not have much experience or knowledge about rebuilding engines Dale agreed to help me and show me what to do. I have wanted to do all I can myself on my car and am very appreciative of his knowledge and help.
March 2013 001.jpg

March 2013 002.jpg

I am still waiting for my front fenders (on back order) to come. My car is now ready to paint as soon as I get my fenders fit.

The inside of my cab is painted.
105_3341.jpg

I had the trunk sprayed with a coat of bed liner and then painted with the finish color.
105_3344.jpg

105_3345.jpg

105_3341.jpg 105_3344.jpg 105_3345.jpg

That is a good idea on the trunk paint! Very good work!
Question- Why black on the int instead of yellow?
That 440 looks pretty clean inside, good score!

That is a good idea on the trunk paint! Very good work!
Question- Why black on the int instead of yellow?
That 440 looks pretty clean inside, good score!
I have been trying to decide what color to do on the interior. I decided black because the black paint is cheaper and I already had it and I would need to buy more color paint. All of the black interior will be covered and anything that will be exposed I will have painted with the yellow. I also had the inside of the doors and other panels painted black because the metal was raw from being media blasted.

Good ideas! I did some of the same type painting in doors and other bare spots.

Terrific build thread; your progress has been terrific!
Looking forward to watching the Charger come together.

BTW - thanks for the link to the guy who "rebuilt" your gauges; gonna have to check him out.

Your trunk and everything looks fantastically smooth and clean! Im the very same with engines and experience or knowledge about rebuilding them... I guess there is just some things we cant do, at least with me anyway.. Id rather have someone who knows what there doing do some things and im not timid at all admitting it lol... It has to be right one way or the other!
Im no expert on things but the work ive seen you do on your Mopar sure looks great, If i can match it at all ill be a happy camper, Good luck with your work and particularly what you want in the HP and TQ on that engine, I think you have some real fun coming when your done, lots of work i know but when done its hee-haw... :blob1:

Your trunk and everything looks fantastically smooth and clean! Im the very same with engines and experience or knowledge about rebuilding them... I guess there is just some things we cant do, at least with me anyway.. Id rather have someone who knows what there doing do some things and im not timid at all admitting it lol... It has to be right one way or the other!
Im no expert on things but the work ive seen you do on your Mopar sure looks great, If i can match it at all ill be a happy camper, Good luck with your work and particularly what you want in the HP and TQ on that engine, I think you have some real fun coming when your done, lots of work i know but when done its hee-haw... :blob1:
Ron, it is because of you and other, great inspirational and motivational, people on this site who help me think that I can do this car build. It is fun to have everyone’s help. I am thoroughly enjoying this project.
I see that you are also tackling a big project and I am learning from your knowledge. Thank you for your help.

I took my disassembled engine to Rout 9 machine shop where Jim and Dave did the machine work for my engine. The block was in good condition and they bored it 20 thousands over because we could not find pistons for 10 thousands over. I got a engine kit with Erson cam and they ground and balanced the crank and cleaned ready to put back together.
rout 9 003.jpg

rout 9 004.jpg
Dave and Jim, Route 9
rout 9 005.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks buddy for the thoughts, You have to know yourself though, what you do hear helps and inspires a lot of us also, Thats what makes this place so good, well, one of the things :) You are doing a great job and your pictures are great, you and your helper have it down pretty good i think and once done, heck a video of that bad Charger running really gets most folks blood pumping even on a bad day lol, keep on keepin on bud!!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back