• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Current 67 Satellite Build.

Jerry Hall

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:21 AM
Reaction score
I picked up this car about 6-8 years ago. It is 383 4-speed, very similar to my first new car. The only differences are the color combination and this one has a open 3.23 742 rear end. Mine was a 3.23 sure grip. Mine was QQ1, black interior. This one was HH1, copper interior. I completely disassembled it within a week of the purchase. Its been sitting in the corner of my body shop (now closed) for years. I sent it out for media blasting after disassembly and was very disappointed in what came back, but I found out what I had which wasn't nearly what I thought I bought. This car has already consumed 3 parts cars along with new AMD floor pans and a torsion bar cross member from one of the parts cars. I was never satisfied with the rear quarter panels, especially the right side. I did my best with the metal available at the time, but still ended up with more filler than I wanted in the right side. Also all the blocking never got the body line on that side to my satisfaction.
20190226_134233.jpg

This week it's out of the corner and with the help of the new AMD quarters and outer wheel houses is beginning to get some attention.
695.jpeg
693.jpeg
756.jpeg
762.jpeg
758.jpeg

The new outer wheel house is now fully welded in place, and the quarter is hung and screwed in place. So far there are no issues with the new metal, it fit like a glove. The original quarter extension fits great, so it will probably be welded in by the end of the week. I will see how this compares to the left side and then determine if I will keep the work already done there or replace that side too.
20190226_134130.jpg

I picked up this car about 6-8 years ago. It is 383 4-speed, very similar to my first new car. The only differences are the color combination and this one has a open 3.23 742 rear end. Mine was a 3.23 sure grip. Mine was QQ1, black interior. This one was HH1, copper interior. I completely disassembled it within a week of the purchase. Its been sitting in the corner of my body shop (now closed) for years. I sent it out for media blasting after disassembly and was very disappointed in what came back, but I found out what I had which wasn't nearly what I thought I bought. This car has already consumed 3 parts cars along with new AMD floor pans and a torsion bar cross member from one of the parts cars. I was never satisfied with the rear quarter panels, especially the right side. I did my best with the metal available at the time, but still ended up with more filler than I wanted in the right side. Also all the blocking never got the body line on that side to my satisfaction.
View attachment 1194180
This week it's out of the corner and with the help of the new AMD quarters and outer wheel houses is beginning to get some attention.
View attachment 1194184 View attachment 1194185 View attachment 1194186 View attachment 1194187 View attachment 1194188
The new outer wheel house is now fully welded in place, and the quarter is hung and screwed in place. So far there are no issues with the new metal, it fit like a glove. The original quarter extension fits great, so it will probably be welded in by the end of the week. I will see how this compares to the left side and then determine if I will keep the work already done there or replace that side too. View attachment 1194215
Thanks Jerry I was wondering how well those new AMD panels fit. Looks great.

Glad to hear the quarter fits well. Tell us more about the car, colors and drivetrain.

Looks great, and glad to hear the AMD quarters fit well. My buddy is restoring a 67 GTX and he bought those quarters too.

Question: Where did you get the trunk extensions? I don't think AMD has them, and my buddy will need a set as well.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

Hawk

The car is HH1 Dark Copper Metallic, Copper interior. It's a Satellite, bucket seats, console 4-speed and all original. Fender mounted turn signal indicators, 3.23 open 742 housing rear end. AM radio, rear mounted speaker, remote LH mirror, and console tachometer. If a sure grip were added it would be identical to the car I purchased new in 1967 except for the color combination. It's also a 383 H code 325 HP 4bbl. It may not be as rare as some I have, but is the only one I have found over the years with almost identical options. That's the primary reason I bought it and also the reason I'm being so **** about it's restoration. If it's not right, it won't go on the car. The car was complete and unmolested, just a lot rustier than it looked or showed. It was always in Tennessee from new until I bought it. It's had a long rest, so it time it gets done.

Looks great, and glad to hear the AMD quarters fit well. My buddy is restoring a 67 GTX and he bought those quarters too.

Question: Where did you get the trunk extensions? I don't think AMD has them, and my buddy will need a set as well.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

Hawk
The trunk extensions were taken off the parts cars. And pieced together with some poor reproduction parts that didn't come close to fitting. They look new due to the fact that they were butt welded, ground smooth, and painted on the first go round.
Maybe AMD will make them soon. Hopefully when they do, they will be as good as the other metal I have gotten from them.

Nice project Jerry. With modern paints that color should look terrific.

The trunk extensions were taken off the parts cars. And pieced together with some poor reproduction parts that didn't come close to fitting. They look new due to the fact that they were butt welded, ground smooth, and painted on the first go round.
Maybe AMD will make them soon. Hopefully when they do, they will be as good as the other metal I have gotten from them.

Thanks for the information. My buddy's GTX has very little rust, BUT, someone hacked metal out of the rear wheel areas to put some fender flares for larger tires. It was a bubba job for sure, and outer wheelhouses, quarter panels and trunk extensions were all (poorly) cut. Guess we'll have to fabricate some patches to the trunk extensions. Again appreciate the information.

So another question: Are you planning to paint your car its original HH1 or will you paint it like your earlier QQ1 car? With the values of the other cars you have, maybe you should just paint this QQ1 and make it a true copy to your old car?

Good morning Jerry !
I think those are some of the nicest looking Plymouths ever made. .Back around 1973 my dad brought home a used one from the local Plymouth dealer, for my first car. I was 15 at the time. It was the Creme color with argent paint on the rocker line. Black western scroll interior. 318 auto on the column. Looked like new. He drove it to work for a couple weeks and came home one day and said that , this car is too nice for you, and mom got it !
I did finally get it a couple years. Long gone now. I'll be watching this build!

Thanks for the information. My buddy's GTX has very little rust, BUT, someone hacked metal out of the rear wheel areas to put some fender flares for larger tires. It was a bubba job for sure, and outer wheelhouses, quarter panels and trunk extensions were all (poorly) cut. Guess we'll have to fabricate some patches to the trunk extensions. Again appreciate the information.

So another question: Are you planning to paint your car its original HH1 or will you paint it like your earlier QQ1 car? With the values of the other cars you have, maybe you should just paint this QQ1 and make it a true copy to your old car?
With the wait time at Legendary for interior, I would have a long wait for a black interior. I ordered the copper interior almost 4 years ago and it's sitting in my shop. My plans at that time were to go back as it was built. I'm not saying I won't change my mind, but for now the plans are for HH1.

IMG_20211116_095321578.jpg
IMG_20211116_121511287_MP.jpg
IMG_20211116_121444290_MP.jpg

Another couple of pictures from yesterday and final fitting of the quarter. At the end of the day the seam sealer was applied in the outer wheel house and a little protective paint applied, and the quarter is about 50% welded in.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post these pictures. The AMD panels look very nice in the box, and measure like they should fit well, but to read honest feedback, and see the results, gives me confidence to get the air chisel out and move forward with my project. I'm also looking forward to seeing more of the progress of this car as it's completed.

I do have a question though. Looking at the pictures of the cut off panel, I see thick sound deadening from the door to almost the taillight. Did you apply any before you welded the panel on or will you do it later? Or do you feel it's even needed?

Hey Jerry - did you replace the missing rear roller for the quarter window? I had to install that one on my 66 and it was a real pain - could have used open access like that.

upload_2021-11-21_17-26-4.jpeg

Thank you so much for taking the time to post these pictures. The AMD panels look very nice in the box, and measure like they should fit well, but to read honest feedback, and see the results, gives me confidence to get the air chisel out and move forward with my project. I'm also looking forward to seeing more of the progress of this car as it's completed.

I do have a question though. Looking at the pictures of the cut off panel, I see thick sound deadening from the door to almost the taillight. Did you apply any before you welded the panel on or will you do it later? Or do you feel it's even needed?
That panel is 4 pieces 2 from parts cars, one new patch, and a scab in the wheel house area. I will put the sound deadening in later, I actually didn't think about it, but should have been more observant. At least I did catch the missing roller in the window mechanism.

Auto Transport Service
Back