• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Current 67 Satellite Build.

As long as you're understanding what I'm saying,, a closed chamber 516, with a steel shim gasket, and a zero deck piston,,, well I don't understand how it works. That's too tight.
Like beyond the ultimate quench engine.

As long as you're understanding what I'm saying,, a closed chamber 516, with a steel shim gasket, and a zero deck piston,,, well I don't understand how it works. That's too tight.
Like beyond the ultimate quench engine.
I will double check when the short block is reassembled and try to remember to get a picture.

I will double check when the short block is reassembled and try to remember to get a picture.
I understand that the only clearance you have at 0 deck and closed chamber heads is the thickness of the head gasket.

Normally when you tighten the quench up to the 35 thou area, you can start reading the piston #s on the head.

That's when you get a pucker feeling in your rear end.:praying:

On my 67 Satellite bought new, I never ran across a stock 68-70 383 that I couldn't beat by at least 2 cars. 325 hp compared to 335 hp. Lower geared cars would get out on me, but by the quarter I would come past them.

Still loving this car, Jerry!
As far as cam opinion goes - I could not, under any circumstances, ever trust a Comp
product again.
I love my purpleshaft 484, but I don't know if anyone reputable makes those now and
I wouldn't run it with less than 3.55's.

That is a lot bigger than the six pack camshafts. That's a lot of duration at .050. It will sound good and have a mild choppy idle. It will lose some low end torque but putting a little higher stall converter in it would really wake it up.
It's a 4 speed, choppy idle won't be a problem. It would probably benefit with 3.55 gears over the 3.23's, but I'm not to worried about that either. The most hurtful thing will be the stock exhaust manifolds.

Ordered the cam kit today. I took Ed's advice and didn't go with a Comp cam.
Lunati 10230702K: Voodoo Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft Complete Kit Mopar Big Block 361-440 Lift: .475" /.494" - JEGS High Performance

I to have heard of many Comp cam failures. It seems like steel is not what it used to be.
Wonder how much of the production process it has to be before this can be claimed?
miu.jpg
Got to admit, I like seeing that nonetheless...
Hope it works out for you sir! Lunati is a storied brand in our hobby.

Well a little progress is happening, even in the extreme heat. I got the block, crank and flywheel back from the machine shop. The good news is that everything will go back standard. They just honed the cylinders and polished the crank. The flywheel was cut 20 thousandths to clean it up. Everything there checked out great. The rebuild new parts were about 50% more than the last engine, but I guess that's life.
20220621_123641.jpg
20220621_123657.jpg
20220621_144418.jpg

Started the assembly today, and so far so good.
IMG_20220622_105802938.jpg
IMG_20220622_105815487.jpg
IMG_20220622_110553145.jpg

Got 4 of the pistons cleaned before it got to hot in the building. The only bad news is I'm going to have to wait on Lunati for the matched set of cam, lifters, springs, and timing set. Their projected ship date is 8/20. Comp Cams can deliver in 4 days, but the horror stories will keep me waiting. I bought file fit rings so that will occupy some time, but then the bag will go back on for the wait.

My favorite thing in the world, well besides sex, is assembling engines. I've spent thousands on tools and measuring equipment so I can perfect my craft. I used to do it for a living but reality kicked in and I had to get a real career.
Your engine looks great. I really like the billet main caps.

My favorite thing in the world, well besides sex, is assembling engines. I've spent thousands on tools and measuring equipment so I can perfect my craft. I used to do it for a living but reality kicked in and I had to get a real career.
Your engine looks great. I really like the billet main caps.
Perfect I'll send some down!

Ran into one little problem while cleaning the last 4 pistons. #3 was hard to get out when disassembling the engine. I don't know if I cracked the skirt, but needless to say it's broken. Finding a standard stock piston proved to be a challenge. I finally found one. John at Hilltop Auto had two NOS pistons so that is now at the machine shop being pressed on the rod. I took another piston and rod for comparison of weight when done. Maybe I won't have to have the rotating assembly balanced. What do you guys think? The new piston has absolutely no wear and the other 7 have 91K miles on them.

Finishing up on the dash. All I like is a few inserts on the knobs. I think it's looking great.
20220628_144044.jpg
20220628_143955.jpg
IMG_20220623_143051811 (2).jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back