• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Current 67 Satellite Build.

IMG_20220429_084734756.jpg
IMG_20220429_084711342 (1).jpg
IMG_20220429_084850455.jpg
Here are some closeups that do the paint color more justice.

A lot of metallic in it I can see now. Single stage would not have worked for that too well.

I picked up the seats for this car yesterday.
20220430_141853.jpg
20220430_144818.jpg
20220430_144847.jpg

Started reassembly of the dash and dyed the replacement console.
20220429_145203.jpg
20220429_145237.jpg
20220429_145252.jpg
20220430_144833.jpg

Going to be a very classy ride for sure - not to mention, you're not likely to "pass yourself"
at any shows!

A lot of metallic in it I can see now. Single stage would not have worked for that too well.
I have a GG1 GTX that was painted 30 plus years ago in single stage and the metallic shows up just as good. I used base/clear to have a more up to date paint on this car. Plus if it continues like it's going there will be no orange peel.

Last edited:
He (or you) are probably a lot better painter than I am. It takes someone who can lay down real smooth paint in single stage metallic and avoid the heavy color sanding and buffing which often results in a mottled, inconsistent appearance.

Like I mentioned earlier, the guy that is painting this one is a lot better than me. He also feels more at home with base/clear. It just takes more planning to do in base/clear to obtain a factory looking finish. Bolts that were painted on the car in single stage have to be painted separately with lots of care taken in installing those parts. For instance, we installed the doors and adjusted with another set of bolts. Then we replaced each bolt with its correctly painted one individually. It's just lots more time and care.

20220503_170728.jpg

I got this out of storage today. Fully restored about 25 years ago. I put it away after I received it as the seller wouldn't make good on it. I ordered one for a GTX, and it arrived in the Satellite paint scheme. Now I have a use for it.

View attachment 1279789
I got this out of storage today. Fully restored about 25 years ago. I put it away after I received it as the seller wouldn't make good on it. I ordered one for a GTX, and it arrived in the Satellite paint scheme. Now I have a use for it.
Looks nice. The Plymouth lettering is black on all of 3 my Satellite tail panels. Did they also leave them argent on some or are you going to paint them?

20200428_192739.jpg

I hand painted the lettering on my 66 Satellite. It was intimidating at first as hands aren’t as steady at 70 as they used to be, but it turned out to be not as difficult as anticipated.
39DB2AD2-5A98-437B-A62D-5241BE8552FA.jpeg

Looks nice. The Plymouth lettering is black on all of 3 my Satellite tail panels. Did they also leave them argent on some or are you going to paint them?
I was referring to the light textured argent on the main part of the panel. The GTX was dark textured argent. The Plymouth letters color, I'm not sure about. My memory may be failing me, but I thought the letters were a darker shade than the panel color but not black on my original 67 Satellite. Thanks for the heads-up.

View attachment 1279850

I'm 99% sure that the one pictured above is original and unrestored as are the 2 spares I have. All are light argent with black letters as opposed to the dark argent GTX panel. What I find interesting is that the edges of the black paint in the lettering are a little fuzzy, not sharp, implying to me that the letters were sprayed or air brushed without masking.

I can inspect closer and get better photos for you if needed

I'm 99% sure that the one pictured above is original and unrestored as are the 2 spares I have. All are light argent with black letters as opposed to the dark argent GTX panel. What I find interesting is that the edges of the black paint in the lettering are a little fuzzy, not sharp, implying to me that the letters were sprayed or air brushed without masking.

I can inspect closer and get better photos for you if needed
A little research and you are correct, the Satellite tail panels did have black Plymouth lettering. I guess I will be painting them.

Jerry, you are doing an excellent job on this car. I love the color. I would be nervous panel painting a metallic car, but yours seem to be looking consistent. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Jerry, you are doing an excellent job on this car. I love the color. I would be nervous panel painting a metallic car, but yours seem to be looking consistent. Can't wait to see the finished product.
It will be a while, my ducks are still not in a row. It should be fully painted by the end of the month, hopefully sooner. I'm getting subassemblies ready and making sure I have everything new and or restored.

Auto Transport Service
Back