• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My dog has a torn ACL anyone delt with this?

I didn't read every post here...

do you have a Vetrinarin or Agriculture type of college/university near you ?

they/many have programs that cost far less
(some a tax-deductible donation IIRC too)
& it help the students learn, professors teach also
(real VMD do the surgery)

I had an American Staffordshire Terrier, 'Alfred' he was like 5 y/o (IIRC)
I took him to UC Davis, he had 'a twisted gut' & he was gonna die
or me have to put him down
or me spend thousands of $$$'s that I didn't have
(young 20's), for the surgery
the Vet wasn't going to let me pay payments or discount it :BangHead:
(seemed sort of crass or harsh, to kill a dog because of $$$)
I wasn't going to put him down, because of my lack of $$$/income

when my oldest sister Lori was going there for MD training/education
she told me about the program
many other renowned/accredited agricultural colleges
all do it too

it was way less than 1/2 maybe a 1/3rd what the reg. VMD
was going to charge, I made payments to them, for 1 year too
(IIRC $90 a month)
they even gave me his meds ($100) & didn't even charge me for them
or for the week he stayed there, they monitored/feed him, took care of him...
($350 at the reg. vet)
When the reg. vet (I never went back to)
would have charged another $50 a night to board/monitor & watch/feed him...

It saved his life, he survived & went on to live a 16 year life...

Last edited:
Titan tore his when he was 6. I asked about surgery and the vet was against it. He recommended to wrap and keep him from running for 2 months. He healed fast, but unfortunately 4 years later he is so arthritic he has a tough time moving.

I woke up this morning to find my dog suffered a stroke last night, that combined with everything else I am dealing with doesn’t make for a good life.
so sorry to hear that... :praying:

Not a dog...but my friend did his ACL a few years ago. Got a bit vigorous over the 'whoopty-do's' on a BMX track, and landed on his shoulder. Hard to paint cars with your ACL all smashed up.

We thought about putting him down....but he's a good painter. :D

sorry and yep I made one of my dogs suffer because I didnt want to lose her. Finally my wife told me I was being selfish so I put her done. Still miss Tazz and that was 5 dogs ago 2006
Thank you.... Wasn't easy, I got falling down drunk on my way home and when I buried him in my Backyard I fell down 3 times, balling like crazy...

I had mine repaired about 3 years ago, no big deal and was back to work in two weeks.

Our Ruby , an American Staffordshire Terrier was about 3 years old when we brought her home for the shelter . She could jump 6 feet easy . After the first summer she started limping badly . Torn ACL determined the vet .$8500 for titanium hinges for each leg . Yep $17,000 for a dog we aren’t breeding who would probably break them again . We ended up at UWMADISON Veterinary college . Total was $8,000 . She no longer needs her tendons because of the procedure . Money very well spent . Our dogs are treated just like one of our kids . We are responsible for everything in their life

1C26C5C2-D735-447E-92EC-6DE7C93D100B.jpeg 7B49323D-3265-4D28-811C-4C2C7D1BA6CB.jpeg

I asked my daughter. She's a vet nurse and she said at her hospital with a board-certified surgeon and anesthesiologist the lowest cost is $5,500

Well got Thor home today and all went well. Now the cone of shame for 2 weeks. 6 weeks no nothing but leash,my poor buddy.
P1020885.JPG

Back in mid 2000's, we had a Finish Spitz that was scheduled to get one knee done similar to Greg's Lab, Nylon string repair. The morning I was going to take her in for the procedure, she saw a rabbit when I opened the front door to get the paper. Off she goes! Ended up having to do a double. When I brought her home, I was carrying her into the house and had to set up a bed for her but my arms were full of her with stuff. As I couldn't get things in place well enough, I set her down real quick to get the bed in position. When I went to place her on it, she was walking around on her front legs with her butt in the air. That little girl was tenacious! Unfortunately she had a seizure issue since she was a pup and at around 5 years of age she got hit with one that lasted for over an hour. Didn't make it out of that one. Miss her something fierce as I thought of her as my daughter. When she was on her game she was a crack up with her antics. I did learn from the vet that getting seizures leaves a scar in the brain. Over time and repeated seizures the scar gets bigger until they just don't make it out. We had used various meds on her for it but unfortunately it was just a matter of time. So far the current duo have no problems.

My 8 year male whiskey, a Lab retriever, had a torn right rear ACL/CCL Surgery. Costing $4,400.00. I could not let him suffer and try to walk on three legs. After 3 long months of Of therapy ,stretching and long slow walks he finally placed his leg back down on the ground and went on to live age 13.

C441A1E2-8362-4B6C-A842-E31DFF3F7587.jpeg

Last edited:
Another alternative for this with certain dogs is a company a guy I work for partnered up and made a company just for pets. He sold his half a few years back but it’s in Pa.. google my pets brace I have had friends use these braces for their pets with great results.. Just putting it out there..

To the Op glad to hear Thor is doing well and on his way to a full recovery!!

Tripper, as a 6 month old healer pup, had his
rear hock stomped on by a bull mastive. I've
never heard a dog cry with as much pain.
Broke my heart and my wallet. He still favors
it after strenuous activity. But there's
absolutely no quit in this dog. I've owned
and lost many faithful companions. Each
holds their own place. After Trip, no other.
Once in a lifetime.
Yes, he's truly smiling in the pic. His eyes
still clear, bright, and inquisitive.
20211230_020526~2.jpg

Last edited:
Had both done on my lab/shepherd mix. It was a couple thousand each time (many years ago). She was 6-7 at the time lived to 15, I still miss that girl.
Worth every penny in my book.

Only took 1 day,came home and he met me at the door. Thor broke out of his kennel and ripped his cone of shame off. :BangHead: So now we are going with baby gate on the kitchen and hope he stays there.

Determined dog there. Raised Boxers for almost 40yrs, several knee surgeries. Nearly impossible to keep them quiet for 2-3 months. If you can keep them quiet post op, with today's better vet technology, should live a happy life which for Boxers is run, run, and then run some more.

Good luck!

well installed the baby gate and put him in there and he thought it was for him to ram it with the cone on his head. Strike two. Guess I need to clean the front bedroom and put him in there during the day when Im at work. My other Rottie is not happy and she hates the cone. Only day 2 :BangHead: Hope I survive this. :lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back