• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'My first': rear end refresh - on going questions

Dab some marking grease on the pinion gear only and rotate it through and see what it leaves on the ring gear. That usually leaves a very pronounced pattern on the ring. As for setting the pinion in deeper or not so deep, yes, you have to remove the back bearing and either take out shims or add them. The front shim only adjusts the pinion bearing preload.

Thanks, ordered in a bearing separator so I can get the bottom bearings off the pinion. Should arrive monday. I'm going to try what you originally suggested, ream out the center bore of the large pinion bearing and use that to test the pinion depth. Once I have that worked out I'll install the new bearings and do a 'final' set up.

Taking me a while to understand how it all works but I'm getting there! Thanks for the patience.

Just got back from a work trip and got stuck into this. Managed to get the pinion bearing off nicely and without damage, reamed it out, test fit with some shims got a pattern I'm happy with. Got the races out if the housing easily and got the pinion assembled ready to go.

This is where it goes wrong, thought I was on a roll so I thought I'd change the bearings on the centre as well. But my separator doesn't work on it and all I have achieved is ripping the cage off of one side and damaging the cage in the other.

I'm hoping someone can help offer some ideas on how to get that inner race and the other bearing off?

I know cutting has been suggested but I can't see how I can get the round angle grinder blade to cut all the way down with out damaging the center at all. Also the only heavy heat I have is a tig, don't know if that'll work especially as the inner race has bugger all ledge to hook onto to pull it off any way.

If there's no great ideas I'll start calling around the local workshops to get someone to pull them off for me, which is rather not do if possible.

Thanks in advance guys.

Took it to a shop after trying a few other options. The shop couldn't press it off either and ended up cutting them off. Makes me fell better about not getting them off. Assembled it all on the weekend along with the rest of the rear end. I've now got a rolling car again, happy man. Happy to put up a walk through if anyone likes a blow by blow like I generally do.

thanks all.

Thanks for this great thread Malicious, 747mopar and Cranky.

One of my winter jobs is swapping 3.23's for 3.91's in my 742 SG...

Happy to help, although I got most of the help here! If you need any advice, I'm happy to help where I can. The only thing I didn't do was swap the gear ratio. I am planing to go down to 3.9's or 3.7's at some point, but I think I'll install a powerlocker centre at the same time. Then its just a press on affair, mush easier the wrestling the bearings off.

I'm a fair way away from starting and I've never set up a rear end before, but I'm looking forward to it. I will be replacing all the bearings in mine, but I have access to a full workshop at work , so that will help!

Auto Transport Service
Back