• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First Weld

ksurfer2

Local time
2:20 PM
Reaction score
A couple months ago, my Father-in-law gave me his old welder. I hadn't had a need for it until this weekend when I was installing a crankcase evac system in my car. This required some welding to the header collectors. Since this would not be visible, structural, or in any way need to be pretty, I figured I would give it a shot. When screwing the check valve on, I applied a fair bit of torque and the welds held....so I guess I was successful.

When I was a kid and my dad was teaching me about sailing, he told me if I could not tie one good knot, I should tie lots of bad ones. I applied the same logic here.

First weld.jpg

Well you didn't blow any holes in collector so that's a plus. Otherwise, that's just a shitty weld. I'm trying to figure which blob is actually holding the thing together.

Take five minutes to watch a youtube video before you weld again.

Get some scrap pieces of mild steel and just flat weld on it. Experiment with the wire speed and the heat settings. You need to create a puddle and learn how to move it along as you go.

More details on what welder you're using and the wire, gas.

crank up the heat and melt that stuff in....you now have some metal to work with

We need to know what equipment you are using.
Do not try to weld galvanized materials. Very toxic and metals won't mix.

We all start somewhere...and you're one weld ahead of me. One thing I've never learned.

Not the prettiest, but hey...it's a start. Now, practice practice practice!

My wire welding skills consist of basically being able to stick (hate to use the word weld) two pieces of metal ( fairly thick metal) together - most of the time. That’s it.

Nothing better than a gift from your Father in law. YouTube has tons of great welding tutorials

That is not acceptable, do not offer to weld ANYTHING FOR ANYONE else ! PLease study ytube video's at least and practice ,practice,practice ! I remember when I was 18 and asked the welder at the place I was working to show me how to weld. His response was , kid , I can tell you everything I know in 5 min. but the rest is up to you to practice. Nice gift from you father in law now carry on.

Auto Transport Service
Back