• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My "Free" 68 Road Runner

Sweet, did you get title and all??????????? If lack of an engine is the worst thing you've got to say about it then I envy you, that's just an invitation to stuff the biggest motor you can find in there haha. Enjoy

This saturday I'm going back out there to help some more with the cleanup of the land so I'll get another chance to look it over and get the numbers. Also, I'll get to view the title. I'll also be sure to get a bill of sales to make it all official when I take ownership of it, thanks for the tip.

car looks real soild considering all the debris. have you thought about hiring a gardner to come blow the leaves out it?

At the first look I was wondering if that was a 6 cylinder trans till I figured out it was sitting in there crooked. Nice score and welcome to the board. If you need a manual on how to rebuild it, I recommend Propwashes "Family Tradition" thread. He really wrote the/a book on how to reconstruct a roadrunner.

I've been doing as much detective work as I can on this car to find out what it was originally based off the pictures I've taken. Going by this picture:

IMAG0112_zpse99e2888.jpg

and this picture of a 426 k-member I found over at engine-swaps.com:

KMember%20BE%20Hemi.jpg

The car originally had a 383 based on the k member. Can anyone confirm based on this information I've found?

I'm going again this sat to do more work on the property and then I'll dig it out of it's 20 year home and put some wheels and tires on it and get some better pics and the numbers off it.

Nice find with your free car. Check for the info tag on the driver's side inner fender. That will give you a good start on the info for your car.

I've been doing as much detective work as I can on this car to find out what it was originally based off the pictures I've taken. Going by this picture:

IMAG0112_zpse99e2888.jpg

KMember%20BE%20Hemi.jpg

The car originally had a 383 based on the k member. Can anyone confirm based on this information I've found?

I'm going again this sat to do more work on the property and then I'll dig it out of it's 20 year home and put some wheels and tires on it and get some better pics and the numbers off it.

I was thinking 383 when I saw the brake booster and those old headers in the trunk....I'd be more than happy to concede I'm wrong, but summit tells me I'm on the money this time :headbang:

In addition to the fender tag the VIN on the dash will tell the story on the original equipment engine. RM23H is 383, RM23J would be Hemi. Only engines avail in 68 RR.

That's a hell of start, and think how far ahead you are without having to pay for it. You should call AMD now so you have all the steel you need for when you get it home.lol. Shouldn't be much,looks solid, and prop wash has basically written a how to book on getting it done.

At the first look I was wondering if that was a 6 cylinder trans till I figured out it was sitting in there crooked. Nice score and welcome to the board. If you need a manual on how to rebuild it, I recommend Propwashes "Family Tradition" thread. He really wrote the/a book on how to reconstruct a roadrunner.

That's a hell of start, and think how far ahead you are without having to pay for it. You should call AMD now so you have all the steel you need for when you get it home.lol. Shouldn't be much,looks solid, and prop wash has basically written a how to book on getting it done.

Yes....Will's epic thread can be found here....

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?8368-Family-Tradition&highlight=family

It is the most comprehensive guide for building yourself a proper, well-crafted B-body.

I think we should make it a sticky....Mods??

X 2!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Its better then TV, even having to read thru it.. Maybe we should make a DVD! :)

LOL!! Haven't seen you around you ole keeper of the GTX! Im glad were here at the same time to say hello buddy!! :) I need to leave for awhile or more but its good to see you on the same page, so to speak! lol

LOL!! Haven't seen you around you ole keeper of the GTX! Im glad were here at the same time to say hello buddy!! :) I need to leave for awhile or more but its good to see you on the same page, so to speak! lol

Hola Ron! glad to see ya too brother!! hope 40th an plum is groovy...

I bet people have paid a lot more for a lot less car! Good find. And it's a hard top, which fewer were made in 68. Has the décor interior it seems and some nice options like power brakes and PS. Not the basic RR! Check the top center of the tranny case where it bolts to the engine (between the bolt holes). Use a small wire brush and see if you can expose a partial VIN number. This is where 68's were stamped on the auto trannys. You should see something like 8E123456. The letter may not be E and of course the last 6 numbers will be the last 6 on the VIN tag. The 8 means 68. I suspect you have the number matching tranny.

wouldn't that be sweet if its a j code runner dang
Yes, yes it would.

:beerchug:

- - - Updated - - -

I bet people have paid a lot more for a lot less car! Good find. And it's a hard top, which fewer were made in 68. Has the décor interior it seems and some nice options like power brakes and PS. Not the basic RR! Check the top center of the tranny case where it bolts to the engine (between the bolt holes). Use a small wire brush and see if you can expose a partial VIN number. This is where 68's were stamped on the auto trannys. You should see something like 8E123456. The letter may not be E and of course the last 6 numbers will be the last 6 on the VIN tag. The 8 means 68. I suspect you have the number matching tranny.

Thanks for that, I'll have to write up a list of things to check for this saturday.

Really cool find. Bless you for saving it. It needs to be back on the road in the wind like it was born to be.

Auto Transport Service
Back