• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My "Free" 68 Road Runner

Thanks Mario, Ron and Smyythe68! It is/was a fun thread, especially with all the commentary. Can't wait for the next (coming soon!). For the movie I would recommend plaid polyester shirts, fake handlebar mustache's, a dog named Don Juan and a high speed chase involving a Gremlin, Celebrity Wagon and a Pepsi truck.

Looks like there might be a few Mamba snakes in there.
Worth fighting them for the car.

Hey, don’t Road Runners eat snakes?

For the movie I would recommend plaid polyester shirts, fake handlebar mustache's, a dog named Don Juan and a high speed chase involving a Gremlin, Celebrity Wagon and a Pepsi truck.

That sounds like an episode of Roadkill on Youtube....

I got some more information on the Road Runner today. My plan was to jack it up and put some tires that hold air on it so that I could see underneath it better. Unfortunately it didn't even occur to me that the lugnuts on the car would be the type with washers. Oh well.

I cleaned up the area around the car and got a look at the last time it was on the road.
IMAG0141_zps2e492efb.jpg

It's been sitting under that tree for 26 years. I was 7 years old when it last seen paved road.

I got a look at the vin and the fender tag.
IMAG0132_zps8c5304f6.jpg

IMAG0135_zpsddc95664.jpg

This solves that mystery
IMAG0136_zps58d5f1c6.jpg

I couldn't find the information Meep-Meep was talking about.
IMAG0133_zps4dd47f19.jpg

Now for a look under the thing. I couldn't get under it to take proper pictures so some blind misc under car pictures will have to do.
IMAG0137_zpscd00aa3e.jpg

IMAG0138_zps28adb428.jpg

IMAG0139_zpsaaa29e17.jpg

IMAG0140_zps7dcf3546.jpg

IMAG0145_zps10c1c503.jpg

IMAG0146_zps0c60ef06.jpg

IMAG0147_zpsf4876a62.jpg

I don't want to count my chickens too soon but it seems like I won't have to replace any sheet metal. At most it will be some wire wheeling and chassis saver. Works for me!

:beerchug:

Looks like an original green car with green interior according to the fender tag. And yes 383 727tf. From what I can see , the frame rails look good. Floors too. Real score there for sure. I'd get that car out of there as soon as possible

I'm trying to get it out of there. The problem is there is 30 years of stuff sitting around it.

The abridged story of how the car came to be mine is:
Coworkers family member (let's call him Bill) owns 2 acres of land.
Bill is a "collector" of things...
The city told Bill that if he didn't bring the land/home up to code and remove approx 90% of his "things" then Bill would loose his land.
Every one of the cars (including the Road Runner) on Bills land were junkyard bound. 3 already went.
Bill needs help.
I'm helping.
I take payment in 60's era Mopars. :D
Bill does not care about the car's worth.
Bill needs a clean plot of land more than a 68 Road Runner that doesn't Road Run.

A neighbor of mine had a similar problem. The city gave him a week to clean up his property or the city was going to do it for him and fine him big $$$$$. He had medical problems and couldn't do it. We had about 20 neighbors over there trimming bushes, cutting grass, cleaning out old sheds, etc. A GTO project car was bought by a neighbor. My buddy and I drug a 66 Impala SS a few doors down to his back yard. He and I cleaned two five gallon buckets of cat crap out of it - we found out the hard way it had been used as the neighborhood litter box. We parted out the car and gave the cash to the old man.

Hmmmm, looks like you have the correct general area on the tranny to look for a VIN. You also have a performance axle package car (3.55 sure grip) noted as 68 on the tag under AX. This is just getting better and better.

Great score mate, like the others said, get that thing outta there!

Underbody looks like its going to clean up nicely. But not to be a downer, you NEVER really know until you check it out thoroughly. Still, FREE is a good price to pay after all! ;)

If that was in Ohio it would break in half if you touched it! I can't believe how solid it is!!!!

What a great score . . . best of luck on the extraction.

Hmmmm, looks like you have the correct general area on the tranny to look for a VIN. You also have a performance axle package car (3.55 sure grip) noted as 68 on the tag under AX. This is just getting better and better.

Unfortunatly I don't think the rear is original either. There is yellow writing on it that looks like it says 65 *** Belvedere.
IMAG0142_zpscc2a3bec.jpg

Cool beans on the find!! Not sure I know what you're talking about when you mention lugnuts with washers....?

I didn't know the actual name of the lug nut but I guess it's called a "mag seat" lug nut.

acorn-mag-ball-seats.jpg

Geez,that thing is solid...also being buried under vegetation probably helped preserve it from being fried to a crisp in the sun over the last 20 something years.What a cool find,a 68 hardtop RR with nice options and only missing a motor.

Auto Transport Service
Back