• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My "Free" 68 Road Runner

I just read this thread and am biting my nails. Can't wait for this car to be safely out of that nest. Great find by the way.Brings a whole new meaning to sweat equity though.

The suspense is killing us! Such a cool find and cant wait to see it sitting in your garage, driveway, I think i would be pulling my hair out going thru this lol...

Big update, last Saturday I got a bill of sales. So now the car is mine, in writing at least. :hello2:

A few new photos, nothing really new, but Basket case asked and who am I to deny him?

Front view. I have the front bumper, supports, rad support, most of the headlight buckets, and bumper filler. Will still need to hunt down a few parts.
IMAG0269_zps2daab7fa.jpg

Interior dash.
IMAG0271_zps88b4efa4.jpg

What's left of the rear seat. Plus some old headers.
IMAG0272_zpse2710b4a.jpg

Same old profile shot, looks like nature is trying to cover it up again.
IMAG0273_zps8e59dd2a.jpg

This is where all the parts to the engine were put when it was torn down. Everything is here minus the bock. Of course I can't use the cam or main caps and stuff but the accessories like the alternator, water pump, starter, etc are in the bottom drawer.
IMAG0274_zps7a5277ad.jpg

Rear window trim and glass.
IMAG0275_zps7d56d661.jpg

Dash plaque.
IMAG0279_zpsdddbd413.jpg

Headliner is in great shape.
IMAG0280_zps660b0f64.jpg

Looks pretty good, allot of car to work with
you can't beat the price !!

good luck it should be a great project car

Looks like a good afternoon spent cleaning to see what you got under there.

nice project car. I do have one question, does the car have a clean title? good luck. l8r. postcar.

It has sounded like there working with you so saying they have a clean good title it sounds like they do... With you getting it if it were me id ask them if you could have it so to get your project going, it sounds like you can deal with them good and im sure it would give you a boost in excitement having it in hand and ready to go!

When I got to the property last Sat I was met with a small surprise. "Bill" and his wife washed the car.

IMAG0335_zpsa4ce45ab.jpg

It cleaned up alright with just a little soap and water. The paint's no good of course, but the patina is nice and clean now.

Now that there isn't any caked on dirt or tree droppings I got a great look at the exterior and found only a couple trouble spots.

Inside the trunk I found this hole.
IMAG0340_zps41ba3088.jpg

Close up.
IMAG0339_zps5bd74fa5.jpg

And I found some rot in the drivers side trunk lid corner.
IMAG0341_zps8dae48f7.jpg

I'm hoping these are small isolated spots that can be easily repaired.

I know it's not out of the yard yet but this:
IMAG0338_zpsb48ef104.jpg

got me all antsy in the pantsy. It's just moved about 2 car lengths but just seeing it finally on all fours and on concrete makes it seem like the light at the end of the tunnel is finally in reach.

- - - Updated - - -

It has sounded like there working with you so saying they have a clean good title it sounds like they do... With you getting it if it were me id ask them if you could have it so to get your project going, it sounds like you can deal with them good and im sure it would give you a boost in excitement having it in hand and ready to go!

They have no problem with me taking it as soon as it's physically possible to remove it from the yard. If it were possible to remove it the first day they would have let me trailer it away. Unfortunately that wasn't even close to possible until recently. It should be out soon.

Man im envious of you congrats on such a find this is already a amazing thread it can only get better

soooooooooooooooooooo.......is it home yet?

Sigh... It's not out yet. It will be on Saturday. At least that's the plan. Last Saturday's little project before continuing the clean up was to get the front wheels rolling again to help make it easier to drag out of there. The front brakes were seized.

Quick picture I took just in case the other side fell apart. It didn't, it was in the same shape as this side.
IMAG0348_zps0637277a.jpg

The plan is to rent a trailer this Saturday, remove the last obstacle in the way, use my jeep to pull it off the property, and my friend who has a "big *** truck" will tow it to where I'll be working on it.

Anything circled with an "X" on it is already gone, the last thing to do is trim that tree on the right a little and tear down that workbench/structure circled on the left behind the ladder. Then it's nearly a straight shot down that path and out the front gates. Stay tuned.
last_thing_zpsbae07ffe.jpg

"Stay tuned"

Its the right thing to do!!!!! :)

shoot...stuff an engine in and go....seriously...drive it patina'd

sjd

Whats up with the chevy truck chilling there?

It's just sitting there. It will unfortunately continue to just sit and collect dust as "Bill" won't be putting it on the road any time soon. He collects things, hardly does he put them to use.

Before I started the cleanup there were 14 cars on the property. 3 I never saw and don't know what they were since they went to the junkyard before I started helping. In no particular order:

90's suzuki swift - gone
90's chevy pickup - he drives
VW Bus - gone
Late 50's early 60's? dodge pickup - sitting
3 Late 50's early 60's? chevy pickups - 1 gone, 1 in pieces, 1 sitting
Late 70's? volvo - gone
2 80's fieros - sitting
68 roadrunner - mine :)

Auto Transport Service
Back