• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My "Free" 68 Road Runner

Nothing a nice washing and a good coat of wax can't cure...............:naka:

God Bless you for wanting to bring it back to life. That's no way for a Mopar to be buried!

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing a nice washing and a good coat of wax can't cure...............:naka:

God Bless you for wanting to bring it back to life. That's no way for a Mopar to be buried!

Oh yeah you might need to detail the interior as well....... Little elbow grease and .......Shazam

Now for a look under the thing. I couldn't get under it to take proper pictures so some blind misc under car pictures will have to do.
IMAG0137_zpscd00aa3e.jpg

IMAG0138_zps28adb428.jpg

IMAG0139_zpsaaa29e17.jpg

IMAG0140_zps7dcf3546.jpg

IMAG0145_zps10c1c503.jpg

IMAG0146_zps0c60ef06.jpg

IMAG0147_zpsf4876a62.jpg

That undercarriage looks pretty good

Watch out for black widows under there! I spent plenty of time under cars abandoned in fields in SoCal and spiders love em. I've come face to face with a few, which is no fun when your nose is 2" from the floor pans.

Lucky!..I had to pay $2000 for my roadrunner and somebody beat my car up bad!...That car looks solid. My floors looked perfect underneath like your car to but when I pulled up the carpet the footwells and trunk needed to be replaced.

I realise you haven't even got it home yet, but this is one of the most exciting restos I've read in a long while...especially cool that you and the car are from SoCal, and from apperances very fortunate that the car has spent its life here. I look forward to the transformation.

Big update, last Saturday I got a bill of sales. So now the car is mine, in writing at least. :hello2:

A few new photos, nothing really new, but Basket case asked and who am I to deny him?

Front view. I have the front bumper, supports, rad support, most of the headlight buckets, and bumper filler. Will still need to hunt down a few parts.
IMAG0269_zps2daab7fa.jpg

Interior dash.
IMAG0271_zps88b4efa4.jpg

What's left of the rear seat. Plus some old headers.
IMAG0272_zpse2710b4a.jpg

Same old profile shot, looks like nature is trying to cover it up again.
IMAG0273_zps8e59dd2a.jpg

This is where all the parts to the engine were put when it was torn down. Everything is here minus the bock. Of course I can't use the cam or main caps and stuff but the accessories like the alternator, water pump, starter, etc are in the bottom drawer.
IMAG0274_zps7a5277ad.jpg

Rear window trim and glass.
IMAG0275_zps7d56d661.jpg

Dash plaque.
IMAG0279_zpsdddbd413.jpg

Headliner is in great shape.
IMAG0280_zps660b0f64.jpg

Your Road Runner looks pretty good there, I bet you cant wait to get that bird home! I hope it all go's well and you have it at your place soon, Then the fun can begin, Good luck!!! :)

A few progress update pics.

Looking into the yard from next to the car.
IMAG0282_zps23d8ed0d.jpg

I'm standing back against the wall in this panorama. This evidently hasn't been possible in a long time.
IMAG0284_zpse290d627.jpg

Walking up the middle path from where the panorama was taken.
IMAG0285_zps6cf03ff5.jpg

The doors to the front driveway. There used to only be a very small pathway that barely fit a wheel barrow leading up to those doors.
IMAG0287_zpsef60d057.jpg

The white fence is all new. This was the largest step to getting the city off the owners back. It's what we spent the last couple months on. There used to be just as much stuff in the front yard hidden by a 8 ft wooden fence.

Next is moving that white chevy truck so that an orange dodge truck can be moved so that an old volvo can be pulled out of the yard. The chevy and the dodge are staying. The volvo is going to someone who is interested in restoring it.

Then it's time to clear out the two fiero's, which he is also keeping, to make room to remove my car. Getting close.

:beerchug:

- - - Updated - - -

Your Road Runner looks pretty good there, I bet you cant wait to get that bird home! I hope it all go's well and you have it at your place soon, Then the fun can begin, Good luck!!! :)

You know it. I come in here almost every day and check out everyone else's projects and although I don't post in their threads much I get all fired up and start looking for an engine, interior parts, etc. It's gona be fun.

Yes sir, it is! Part of all of it is the hunt for parts and "stuff" I myself always loved it and a build as much as the cruising once done, My family always said i liked the build more then the driving, I know i do, at least until i find the parts and have to pay for it lol It's all great fun! :blob1:

thanks for the updates. hope you can get your runner outta there soon!

Bought an engine today! 383 with casting number 2468130
IMAG0298_zpsb651e83b.jpg

More pics tomorrow when I unload it out of the back of my Grand Cherokee.

Strange thing about this is that I went to the junkyard today with no intentions of even looking for a motor. I was looking for a few odds and ends for my Jeep. But then I see a frame with a truck bed on it and a short block laying between the frame rails. No trans, and just laying there, not even bolted to the frame. Someone had done all the work for me (thankfully as according to my info center in the Jeep it had reached 118 today). And seeing as today was 50% off day I got it for just $75.

The truck was a 68-71 Dodge Adventurer (as indicated by the emblem on the bed). It had a 2 brl intake in the bed and a pair of cylinder heads laying next to the truck. Seen as this is a truck motor I wasn't interested in the intake or heads as I want to run the 4 brl intake and carb from the original motor.

The plan so far is to get the block/crank checked/cleaned/meachined, rebuild the engine, put a decent cam that will work well with the power brakes the car has, and find a decent set of heads, either factory reworked or aftermarket. Not going to go crazy but it would be nice to get it putting down 350-400 hp reliably. I plan on driving the hell out of this car.

The plan so far is to get the block/crank checked/cleaned/meachined, rebuild the engine, put a decent cam that will work well with the power brakes the car has, and find a decent set of heads, either factory reworked or aftermarket. Not going to go crazy but it would be nice to get it putting down 350-400 hp reliably. I plan on driving the hell out of this car.

Sounds like a plan. This really is a fun build to watch and you haven't even got it out of the yard yet. The suspense is killing me haha.

Nothing to really report on this unfortunately. Haven't been to the property in a couple weeks. 3 weeks ago I was sick and didn't make it out there. 2 weeks ago the person I work out there with was across the country so I didn't go. And finally this week we made it out there. We tore down the structure that was blocking the roadrunner and started to move it. The plan was to get it onto the cement slab that the white fiero was sitting on. We found out that the front wheels were locked up so we couldn't push it. We hooked up a come along and pulled it back a few feet. The rear wheels aren't locked up oddly enough. Then to maneuver around the palm tree we had to hook the front end up to a come along and turn the car. We pulled the front end sideways about a foot and the come along broke. And that's where this weeks antics came to an end. We were both tired and sweaty and covered in sand/dirt. It got to 110 and we were exhausted.

you'll be laughing about these times when that baby is in your driveway.

Auto Transport Service
Back