• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My free 69 charger R/T restoration

Only reason I decided to do this one was family connection and I got the car for free.

If I was in your shoes and had the knowledge and experience you do I would do the same thing. It's not always about the financial return.

Keep it going because the day you turn the key and pull that car out onto the road will make every penny worth it! :thumbsup:

If I was in your shoes and had the knowledge and experience you do I would do the same thing. It's not always about the financial return.

Keep it going because the day you turn the key and pull that car out onto the road will make every penny worth it! :thumbsup:

I really don't have a lot of knowledge on this type of restoration. I learned a lot from this and other websites and countless other resto threads. I learn as I go and apply my training as a automotive tech where I can. Needless to say I am looking forward to the assembly stage.

I really don't have a lot of knowledge on this type of restoration. I learned a lot from this and other websites and countless other resto threads. I learn as I go and apply my training as a automotive tech where I can. Needless to say I am looking forward to the assembly stage.

It's a very satisfying feeling to see what one can accomplish. Take a moment, stand back and look at your car, don't be humble, you have a lot of talant. We are taking apart my son's car and the deeper we get the more I say to myself "what did I get myself into"?
Then I look at all of the project cars being repaired / restored here and say it's not that bad, we can do this. I showed my son pics of your car from the trees to where your are now. I told him, if this car can be fix then we should have no problem fixing his car.

Last edited:
It's a very satisfying feeling to see what one can accomplish. Take a moment, stand back and look at your car, don't be humble, you have a lot of talant. We are taking apart my son's car and the deeper we get the more I say to myself "what did I get myself into"?
Then I look at all of the project cars being repaired / restored here and say it's not that bad, we can do this. I showed my son pics of your car from the trees to where your are now. I told him, if this car can be fix then we should have no problem fixing his car.

Thanks! I am glad my old rust bucket can be of some inspiration to you and your son. it is definitely satisfying to look at it now compared to a year and a half ago.

Man, you are doing an awesome job. While I am sure it is easier to buy and cheaper to buy a non rusted car and rebuild it, there is a lot to be said about someone who goes this length to bring one back to life. This will be 100% your car and when people ask you about it, you can take a ton of pride in saying it was you who put it back together. When that day does come and you start it for the first time, I am sure its going to be a magical moment. This looks like a labor of love to me and that is why most of us do the crazy things we do to restore these old Mopars. Amazing work!

This is not meant as a dig, I think what you are doing is really cool. I ask this question just to get my bearings...How much of the original Charger will still be a part of this when it's done?

Not much, part of the roof and package tray as far as unibody goes, maybe a few odd pieces. K frame, rearend and dash. Some interior pieces.

Great progress. I'm working on my rear fenders and tail section also. I've got derailed a little as my plant went down and now I'm stuck on a turn around. Keep up the good work!!

Amazing Pat!
Keep keeping on!
Like I tell my 11 yr old
"With Focus & Dedication you can do anything you desire"

Joey D

I guess I'm due for an update. I have been picking at the front. Clip I acquired last summer. Lots of removing of unwanted bits and cleaning up, some small patches here and there. Today my good buddy and accomplice in this restoration carefully removed the firewall from the car by disecting it at the top of the A pillars. Then it was time for the clip to be slid into place and be squared away with the jig and locked down into its final position. Things are starting to get real now!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

BOOM! Looks like a great fit and boy is that a big piece of the puzzle. Nice work!!

Pat, good to hear from you again. Things are coming together. Looking good.

4C31E508-9935-43D7-8AEC-8BFBFC21FBC5.jpeg
5DADAA1E-6C67-4565-B022-891A5FE0447A.jpeg
E7C29FF7-09AE-4CD2-9D0B-7219E76D904E.jpeg
Wow has it been over a year since I did an update! I haven’t had slot of time at the car this past year things have been busy with work and home life juggling around a wife that worked shift work as a nurse, daycare and time with the wife and my little guy who was only 6 months old when I started this thread and is going to be 4 later this summer! Where’s the time go? Also got another little one making his/her appearance late September so looks like life will be hectic again. Sorry for the novel back to the car, wife has been taken off work early for precautions so I have had more time to get into the garage lately. I remove the quarters so I can start getting things to where they need to be 100% to be burned in. I also rebuilt my door hinges and hung both doors, more as a tool to make sure that the roof and rockers are in somewhat proper alignment with each other. I cut out all of the bracing I had in place to locate the front clip installation as well. Sorry for the lengthy post, more to come!

I understand, life gets in the way and these cars are a hobby for most of us, so they need to take a back seat, especially to family. But keep the faith and keep up the good work. One day you will be cruising around in the car with your little guy and new one (wife too)!

Just a reminder while the quarters are off. If you plan on running bigger/taller tires or lowering the car be sure to dehump the outer wheel wells.

Auto Transport Service
Back