• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My free 69 charger R/T restoration

Wow there is no way I could see myself taking on a job this big. Keep up the good work u are doing great

I uploaded some better pictures back on page 3 of the rocker replacement. These photos are a lot larger.

Hey Don, I will have to take some with my wife's digital camera tomorrow. I took those with my phone. Can I question what you mean about saving me? More bracing inside the car? I was thinking of that earlier tonight, it's well braces underneith and I left the floors in for now. I have rechecked all
mu measurements from before I removed the rockers but am thinking I should add some bracing.
Pat, I meant no disrespect.
But with the larger pics someone may see a potential problem that your headed for and they might suggest a different way to go thereby saving you.

Just keep in mind, as you cut up the car, you may loose strength, (depending on what your cutting out) and things could move around a bit. In those areas you want to brace it! And if your not sure it might move, then error on the side of caution and brace it!
And before you do anything take as many measurements as you can, cause once its apart you cant go back!

No worries Don, like you its all new to me so that's why I post my updates. After your post I rechecked all my preliminary measurements before I took the car apart and all are still good. I am going to add some bracing because I fear if I do the other side the roof will loose shape. I plan to cut sections of the floor out and run the bracing straight down to the jig from the roof. Your thread is the one I look closely at a lot to try and help me in my build, although aspects are different. I really like the part of your jig for the rear frame rails but I could not replicate it because mine were non Existent for the last 15". Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I can get some measurements from you sometime to cross check with mine since my car was in an accident before I got it?

Not sure if you've seen this before but you may find it helpful.

Thanks Daytona kid I have that saved to my computer and a hard copy in the garage with the car. I built the jig using the bottom measurements for heights.

Small update, I added some bracing after Don made me aware (thanks Don) I guess I got a little ahead of myself cutting and drilling and forgot to make sure I have a point to go back to. I also removed the rotted and torched up left outer wheelhouse and test fit the new one. I am impressed at the fitment considering it's a goodmark part. Next time I go at it I think I will work on removing the twisted right wheel houses. The bracing is fitted into the notches on the a piller so I can use it to locate the new roof structure when I do that. The rear part of the bracing is bolted to the roof in factory holes also to be used as a guide when reinstalling the new roof. I also cut out the old torsion crossmember and test fit the new one.
image.jpgimage.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,303
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,316
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,299
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,308
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,314
I enjoy seeing restoration threads like this one. You are doing a great job. I am excited to watch your continued progress. Keep up the great work.

super job pat,man you are going full throttle ahead on charger keep the good work up.

Thanks guys! Don, is that kind of what you were thinking as far as bracing? I plan to add a couple more supports down to the jig to the front parts at the a pillars (I'm sure you saw I stole the idea from your thread). Also plan to add a few to the rear part of the roof structure.

I removed the right inner and outer wheelhouses together as they are twisted up and will be replaced as an assembly, I have a southern replacement from a 68 coronet. First need to remove some of the inner structure webbing to straighten where it was bent from the accident.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Removed the lower window frame/roof webbing to gain access to the twisted package tray end support. Started working the end support back into shape. Not too bad so far for a auto mechanic not a body man lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,129
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 1,091
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,099
If your thinking of lowering or wider tires. Dehump those outer wheelhouses! Lots easier now than later, ask me how I know????

If your thinking of lowering or wider tires. Dehump those outer wheelhouses! Lots easier now than later, ask me how I know????

how wide can you go before dehump is needed? I plan to run 15" magnum 500 and bfg t/a but I am unsure what is the best size for the car for a good driver?

Auto Transport Service
Back