• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My free 69 charger R/T restoration

pat1969charger

Local time
4:14 PM
Reaction score
So I decided to start a resto thread on the 69 charger r/t I got for free from behind the garage at one of my wife's family members house. I already posted the story behind it in my other thread I had for my xp29. If you haven't already read it, you can see it here http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...arger-s-1969-XP29-Charger-rust-oration!/page3 post #47.

a few from when I first found it and the day I brought it home

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 1,584
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 1,491
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 1,564
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,561
First two here are the bottom of the charger and my little 6 month old wearing his shirt daddy got him for Christmas lol
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

then Separating the front clip from my 68 satellite parts car, also removal of the roof skin, there are way to many spot welds on these drop rails lol, I plan to use the front section of roof structure, firewall and a pillers and the main roof structure that runs from the front back to the wheel tubs.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,137
Last edited:
Hi Mate

You attachments in your second post are not right - not displaying for me...

I'd like to see them, as I admire your skill/bravery in restoring such a mangled mess!!

Sorry I'll try and get them fixed after work,

For some reason the one of my little guy showed up twice , once sideways.

great job pat, i commend you on rebuilding the r/t,i will be watching you and cheering for you,you are a true mopar guy!

Very excited for this thread! Like I said in the other thread, I think the R/T was a good choice

Your bravery and love for mopar is admirable

Nice! Glad another one is being saved! Good luck!

So no progress as it's been a hard winter and have been busy with work And repairs on some family cars but I wanted to post this pic. Conviently since I know almost all the history of the RT and lots of people around here Are mopar guys and knew the guy who owned it I'm still hearing stories. The guy who have me this pic said he is pretty sure the original 440 is at the junkyard where I picked up the parts satellite in an old building!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,779
Here is how it's sitting on the frame jig in my garage currently

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,072
Wow that's a heck of a story. Good luck with the rebuild, that's an ambitious one but it sounds like you've done them before.

I had a 73 charger that was in rough shape I did most of the metal work to (which was a lot) but opted out of it when I decided on the 69 which was my dream car. I also did a Partial resto on a 78 aspen RT few years ago I had and assisted in the restoration of a 1980 z28 and a 76 C10 awhile ago. This is my first that is this extensive

I admire your bravery that is a hell of a challenge but anything can be fixed best of luck

I showed my wife your car she said she would never give me crap about anymore cars I drag home. That charger is prity bad but everything is fixable and I'm shure it will look great soon enough . Good luck on it

Haha the only reason mine didn't was one it was free lol and two It was owned by her great uncle or cousin or something and he had passed not long after it was take off the road.

This buddy of mine keeps finding pics, this one is 1978

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 956
So a small amount of progress, drilled out the welds along the right trunk gutter and started drilling out the rear window welds. I also cut the quarter off. You can se the structural damage on the right side rear wheelhouse/roof structure and quarter window support area. My next question is what where would you guys suggest I start in the metal replacement. I have floors, crossmemebers and rails, wheelhouses and inner and outer rockers to go in. I also have a front section of roof structure and a pillers and might even change the firewall.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,809
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,792
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,781
Auto Transport Service
Back