• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my garage rebuild

looking real good :headbang:

Thanks guys. es1758, they are Fahrenheat 5,000 watt units. I got them about a year ago from Home Depot. Lowes, at that time, had them on clearance for $182.00 but, were sold out. I called Home Depot and they priced matched so, I ordered 2 of them. I've had them on "low" for the past 4 days while I was muding the drywall and they kept the garage at 70 (it's gotten down into the teens outside a few of the nights). I also have them wired for 3500 watts because I used 12/2 wire. You can have them run at 5000 watts using 10/2 wire. I can't wait to see the electric bill:grin:.

Here's a link to them:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fahrenheat-5-000-Watt-Unit-Heater-FUH54/202043073#.UryuXtJDvvE

It's always a mile marker when you get the heat going on a project!! Electric is very nice, no exhaust no air makeup and 100% efficient. As long as your rates are reasonable and you size the units to the space it works out well. I recently removed my OLD electric system and changed it out for LP tube radiant heat, bought it from work as we are changing out the plants to Thera-cyclers. It costs about $100 a month to keep the shop at 55-60 *. And I like the type of heat.

Thanks guys. es1758, they are Fahrenheat 5,000 watt units. I got them about a year ago from Home Depot. Lowes, at that time, had them on clearance for $182.00 but, were sold out. I called Home Depot and they priced matched so, I ordered 2 of them. I've had them on "low" for the past 4 days while I was muding the drywall and they kept the garage at 70 (it's gotten down into the teens outside a few of the nights). I also have them wired for 3500 watts because I used 12/2 wire. You can have them run at 5000 watts using 10/2 wire. I can't wait to see the electric bill:grin:.

Here's a link to them:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fahrenheat-5-000-Watt-Unit-Heater-FUH54/202043073#.UryuXtJDvvE

Great thanks man!

Your Shop is coming along nicely. Having heat inside is definitely a PLUS !!!!! Keep up the great work, and have a Happy New Year. It wont be long now and you will be loving life when your working on the Bird in that SWEET shop.....................

I purposely added a bunch of 8 ft. fluorescent lights in mine. It really helps when your under or inside the car. The light gets reflected off other surfaces and "kind of" illuminates places.

You definitely have a SWEET shop there my friend.

that shop is unbelievable awesome. just a suggestion but when you mud an tape your drywall. sweep the floor and put down red rosin paper, its heavy duty and cover your nice floors and when your done roll it up and dump it and your floors are like brand new still. easy clean up.

Thanks everyone! usaroadrunner, that is a great idea. I was going to lay down some plastic before I started but figured it's going to be a working garage so, I got lazy and went ahead. I finished up with the mud and finished the sanding this morning. I then started to prime/seal the drywall:

046.jpg047.jpg

I used my stepdads PC drywall sander. That thing is the balls! Funny story behind it. About 15 years ago, when I was working for him (he's a GC) while I was going to college, he handed me the company credit card and told me to go get a drywall sander. He was thinking the old school pole and paper I think, I had a different idea. There was a woodworking store nearby that was going out of business. I bought the PC drywall sander as a floor model from them. It was missing a few non-vital pieces and on clearance so, I was able to get it for something like 40% off. When I showed up with it he went through the roof! That is, until we started using it. He loves the thing. It's been used hard for 15 years and still going strong.

046.jpg 047.jpg

You're movin fast!! You gonna drywall the bottom 1/2 too or is something other than DW going up.

A little more progress; I got the pine boards up. Now I have to trim out the doors, windows and do the base board, etc. Getting there...
005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg

005.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg

A little more progress; I got the pine boards up. Now I have to trim out the doors, windows and do the base board, etc. Getting there...

Wow, that looks GREAT there ct71rr . . . just curious, why the pine boards and not dry wall all the way down to the floor ? ? Sturdyness ?

Keep you from punching a hole in the drywall ?

The garage/shop is looking fantastic ! ! !

Wow, that looks GREAT there ct71rr . . . just curious, why the pine boards and not dry wall all the way down to the floor ? ? Sturdyness ?

Keep you from punching a hole in the drywall ?

The garage/shop is looking fantastic ! ! !

Yeah, I wanted some protection from holes and dings and I also had a bunch of the boards leftover from when I did the siding. I'm going to treat it with some fire retardant liquid and then stain & seal it (color to be determined). You can't be too careful. A couple of years ago, I responded to a garage fire. Long story short, the homeowner went to do a quick fix with his welder, he ended up loosing his entire garage and everything in it. He had a '69 Coronet, a Tri-five Chevy of some sort that had a monster blown engine (set up as drag car), two other classic cars (I forget what they were, one was a convertible) and about 40 guns. He had a huge safe that the guns were in, it didn't last though. When I got there (I was first on scene), I could hear all of his ammunition cooking off. It sounded like popcorn.

So are you FF or LEO??? I've had similar experiences too. I've had BBQ grill propane tanks BLEVE inside a garage that we responded to once. It blew out the whole back wall of the shop. What was left of the roof collapsed on it then.

Too bad it happened. We had no other choice but to "surround and drown". Luckily no one was injured.

I try to learn from others mistakes and misfortune like you do.

Things like that get your attention and you don't forget them too easily.

Your shop is looking sweet!!!

Thanks for the comments everyone! Louis, I'm a LEO, please don't hold that against me:toothy9: At that fire, I had to drag the homeowner away from his garage. He wanted to run in there to try to save his cars...Can't say that I blame him though.

Thanks for the comments everyone! Louis, I'm a LEO, please don't hold that against me:toothy9: At that fire, I had to drag the homeowner away from his garage. He wanted to run in there to try to save his cars...Can't say that I blame him though.

I was too for 3 1/2 years. Its a thankless but necessary job.

Always tried to treat people how I would want to be treated. Honesty was the best policy with me. If you were straight up I would try to be a little lenient with you if it was possible. But it seemed like everyone always lied no matter what.

But I started bringing my work home and I never saw the misses. Something had to go.

So.............

I Jumped ship and went over to the Fire side 13 years ago. One of the best moves I made.

Kudos to you and the brothers in blue (or green if they're a deputy)

Keep up the great work !!!!!!

Yeah, I wanted some protection from holes and dings and I also had a bunch of the boards leftover from when I did the siding. I'm going to treat it with some fire retardant liquid and then stain & seal it (color to be determined). You can't be too careful. A couple of years ago, I responded to a garage fire. Long story short, the homeowner went to do a quick fix with his welder, he ended up loosing his entire garage and everything in it. He had a '69 Coronet, a Tri-five Chevy of some sort that had a monster blown engine (set up as drag car), two other classic cars (I forget what they were, one was a convertible) and about 40 guns. He had a huge safe that the guns were in, it didn't last though. When I got there (I was first on scene), I could hear all of his ammunition cooking off. It sounded like popcorn.

That makes sense . . . my neighbor made a recommendation about that . . . he suggested putting metal at least 1 foot up the wall and sealing the bottom with silicone caulk to prevent any sparks from being able to get to the flammable materials ( studs, sheet rock, insulation ) . . . that makes a lot of sense. Fire retardant works too - I would think.

Glad you thought about that and shared your experience with us so we can keep it in mind when we build our shops !

Thanks for the comments everyone! I'm still plugging along. I finished up the walls and am almost done with trimming out the windows and doors:

001.jpg002.jpg

I also started the stairwell. I figured I'd use pine here too instead of drywall. I was thinking that the drywall would get beat to crap carrying stuff up and down the stairs:

005.jpg

The electric bill came yesterday...after having the heaters running for about a month, it cost me about $240 dollars over the regular bill:crybaby2:. We did have some seriously cold weather here (MA) so, I guess I can't complain too much. It was the only way that I was able to mud and paint the walls. Needless to say, I turned them off right after opening the bill. I don't need it to be too warm in there now.

001.jpg 002.jpg 005.jpg

That's not terrible. Coming from MA myself and selling heating oil, I can tell you that we are about 20-25% over average for heating usage. So that bill would have been under 200 bucks, and in my opinion, that's not too bad.

BTW, looking great.

I also started the stairwell. I figured I'd use pine here too instead of drywall. I was thinking that the drywall would get beat to crap carrying stuff up and down the stairs:

That's a good idea.

By the looks of things, It will not be too much longer now.

Your making some great progress there !!!!

Please keep us posted...................

Auto Transport Service
Back