• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new mufflers do not fit

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:21 PM
Reaction score
I ordered 2 of these mufflers to replace the broken ones on my 1969 dodge charger r/t.

After cutting one of the old mufflers out and trying to install a new one
we noticed that it does not fit! We would probably have to modify the pipes but apart from that
it seems that there isn't enough room given how the floorpans are shaped?

See pictures (sorry they are not perfect due to space and lighting limitations):

Now im confused.
The guy that helps us (he has a nice garage with a service pit and all the necessary equipment) is convinced
these can't be the correct mufflers because they do not fit with how the vehicle floor is shaped. (They are to long / significantly longer than the old ones)

But i rechecked and according to ECS they should be the correct ones, right?

I also found pictures from @dadsbee which i think show a b body with exactly these mufflers installed:

So are these mufflers incorrect or what are we doing wrong?

Absolutely correct if your head pipes and tail pipes are OE correct!

Dave Walden actually sent Fedex to pick up my 383 head pipes so that Steve could build the jig to reproduce them exactly, as they had never found an OE set previously to do so.

Zero issues installing everything on my Bee.

Did you lube the muffler bearings first?
should have bought them on eBay where "everything is guaranteed to fit"

I believe Dadsbee is correct. The originals are pretty big. Those look like Hemi muffler repops, though they don't claim that

Well as i said the pipes are not necessarily the problem (but we might would have to modify those).
The main problem is that the muffler appears to be to long, there isn't enough space given how the floorpans are shaped.

But looking at pictures it seems that they get installed at an angle (not straight):

I would have to go back and take a look/try. But maybe that's what we are missing?

Could that possibly be the problem?

Also i'm thinking about buying new pipes instead of modifying the old ones.
These should be the correct ones for my car, right?
Also these come as complete set / i do not have to buy 2 like with the mufflers right?

My thinking is in case i buy these pipes i would have a 100% stock exhaust system (i have the original exhaust manifolds installed).
So in this case there would be no way that it doesn't fit right?

Just go to a local exhaust shop, they'll have them installed in an hour. Any half decent shop could fabricate the rest of the system for you too, in stainless steel if you wanted, probably for cheaper than you'll freight the ECS stuff over from the US.
Ask them to fit your transmission mount at the same time.

I'll say it again, they are 100% correct..
beerestoration2018 409.JPG
beerestoration2018 410.JPG
beerestoration2018 466.JPG
beerestoration2018 467.JPG
beerestoration2018 2176.JPG

How about if we cut to the chase. MEASURE your mufflers! In inches if possible please, but we can convert cm for you. The body length/width/height, and then the length of the muffler and pipes.

Then we can stop the guessing here.

Plan is to go back tomorrow and try fitting the muffler once again.

Again, these would be the correct pipes for my 1969 dodge charger r/t 440/727 in case i decide on replacing them, right?

Just go to a local exhaust shop, they'll have them installed in an hour. Any half decent shop could fabricate the rest of the system for you too, in stainless steel if you wanted, probably for cheaper than you'll freight the ECS stuff over from the US.
Ask them to fit your transmission mount at the same time.

In germany you're not allowed to just build your own exhaust unfortunately. You need a factory replacement part or one that has TÜV approval. Big headache.

How about if we cut to the chase. MEASURE your mufflers! In inches if possible please, but we can convert cm for you. The body length/width/height, and then the length of the muffler and pipes.

Then we can stop the guessing here.

At this point i only have the length (which is the issue):
The old muffler is 453mm and the ECS muffler is 543mm long.

In germany you're not allowed to just build your own exhaust unfortunately. You need a factory replacement part or one that has TÜV approval. Big headache.
Are you guys still just following orders?

We have rules too, but they are designed to be bent or tweaked.

Are you guys still just following orders?

We have rules too, but they are designed to be bent or tweaked.

Let me put it this way.
If i win a bunch of millions in the lottery then i will move to the united states. :D

So the transport inspectors are going around looking under people's cars and they will know that you don't have a factory system on there?

Get real!

I can see them now referring to the book for a 1969 Charger R/T, hmmm page 58 says the exhaust should be mild steel 2.25" with a 30° bend 6" past the transmission mount - Achtung! that transmission mount also looks incorrect, I'm surprised it fit under there! It has changed the driveline angle by a mix of imperial and metric 0.39", looks like it's a part for a Hot Rod).

So the transport inspectors are going around looking under people's cars and they will know that you don't have a factory system on there?

Get real!

I can see them now referring to the book for a 1969 Charger R/T, hmmm page 58 says the exhaust should be mild steel 2.25" with a 30° bend 6" past the transmission mount - Achtung! that transmission mount also looks incorrect, I'm surprised it fit under there! It has changed the driveline angle by a mix of imperial and metric 0.39", looks like it's a part for a Hot Rod).
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Worse than Concours Judges. :rolleyes:

Get real!

You have to get the car inspected every 2 years or so. During that inspection they also look under the car.
But i agree most will probably have no idea what they're looking at.
In big cities like Hamburg the police is pretty agressiv though from what i've heard. If they think your car is too loud they end your trip and tow the car to their inspection site.
The exhaust from my 72 cutlass is not stock and i've been driving it around 10 years with no problem. If you know the right people you will also pass TÜV with a rusted frame. (While at the same time a regular guy without contacts will get his historical plate revoked for a little bit of rust on the front fender.)

At the end of the day i want to keep the car stock and so why risk getting my car towed away?

Think your pipes from exhaust manifold is to long. Tail pipe is butcher as dadsbee said. Picture of the front of muffler and pipe?

Are these the clamps you used to connect the mufflers with the pipes?

So with a stock exhaust i just buy 4 of these, no welding required?

In my case the mufflers are just welded in.

Think your pipes from exhaust manifold is to long. Tail pipe is butcher as dadsbee said. Picture of the front of muffler and pipe?

Not sure if the manifold to muffler pipe is to long but yes thanks for pointing the tail pipe out.
Maybe that's the 90mm difference in length i need right there. :)

Your exhaust is a cobbled up mess. See the hangar? That is the clamp for the tailpipe to muffler also. The muffler should be in that hanger where it is now. The mufflers you had on there are way to short, and the tailpipes go to far forward because of it. The correct muffler you now have will never hook to those tailpipes.

E6D61CD3-3BF9-4E60-8607-84C83E5290CC.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back